Debt Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Jul 4, 2008.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This weekend I came to my parents house and I got a letter from Cavalry Portfolio Services. They apparently bought my "debt" from Sprint and say I owe $320.21. I have had a cell phone with Sprint for the past 4 years and have always paid my bill. How could I possibly have a debt with them and they allow my current phone to still be active??

I've been reading up on this company and they appear to really be shady. I'm debating on what I should do about this. I checked my credit report and I don't have a debt in this ammount, but I want to make sure this crap won't show up on it.

Is there anything I could do short of calling an attorney? I really don't have the time for this crap since I'm in summer school..

2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should call Sprint first to get more info.

I mean, I was in over 14k in credit card debt alone all got all kinds of random e-mails and 99% weren't even real numbers, just random spam.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Just call sprint and straighten it out with them. This is most likely a scam.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just don't pay it. It's probably a scam.

But if they put it on your credit report, file a dispute with a certified letter to both the debtor and a credit agency. It'll go away.

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    When you call Sprint it might be a good idea to give them the company's info so they can go after them, too.

--Moony

6. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

I read this in the paper but it was old people getting telephone calls from "collection agencies" that said they owed money from a old long distance call they received.

Don't pay this it is a scam

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, call sprint directly to find out the deal.

Its probably a scam, someone has found out you used to be a customer and is trying this.

8. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Check the phone number/account number too. And have you been issued updated credit cards with new #s recently? Sometimes people steal the cc number and clandestinely setup their own accounts and then the bill racks up when your cc number changes and they can't bill, but have your name and address on the account and then you get a collection notice suddenly. People like that can set up the account to be paperless and go to their email each month, but collections go by paper to the cc owners home.

But with the economic downturn, they probably send out hundreds of those until someone who the info matches with gets it and pays them in fear of a worse credit rating in these hard times.

As long as you stay on top of it, you should be able to clear it up without much mess but the sudden frustration always sucks.

9. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Yeah, if it's not a real debt you should be able to clear it up pretty quick, especially if it's some kind of scam.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Sounds like a scam to me.