Debating whether I should sell my Animated collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by motorhead9999, Sep 16, 2010.

1. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking potentially about selling my animated collection. While I love the show, and the toys managed to do a great job of representing the characters, I'm a bit off with the build quality of many of them, and also issues with space in my collection. I know Tak's releasing the figures now, but any thoughts as to whether I should just go ahead and sell them now, or should I hold onto them for a bit longer to get a bit more bang for my buck.

2. MMarker

MMarker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion, if I had to get rid of a good portion of my TFs, Animated and Classics would be the ones I hold on to the longest.

3. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any particular reason why? And Classics is one of the reasons I'm thinking of dropping animated. I've decided to really get into Classics and get that whole line.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I value personality a lot in my figures, so my small animated collection would be one of the last things I'd consider getting rid of. I guess it all comes down to your personal preferences. If you're really sure you won't regret this later, go ahead, personally if I had to I'd sell my RiD and Beast Wars figures before I got rid of my hard-earned Animated transformers.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    From a money stand point, you're not going to get a great amount of money for your collection. They're all rather new and just do not demand a money on the secondary market. I say box them up and storage them for awhile to get them out of the way and sell them down the road.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, not worth selling now unless you don't mind taking a huge hit.

7. MMarker

MMarker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved everything about Animated.

8. g1_fanatic

g1_fanatic Well-Known Member

I agree too. Who knows, Fans Project may make some upgrades for Animated in the future and they will look bad A$$ and you could sell them from there or keep them if FP Animated makes you happy.

9. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Yeah, I honestly don't think you'd get a whole lot of money for them at the moment (it's too soon since the main-line ended). If I were you, I'd probably sell off other lines first before I sold off my TFA figs (Trilogy & Bayverse) but it's up to you. I suggest keeping your TFA figs for another year or so, research your prices & then sell them off one-by-one (they seem to go for more that way).

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a movie collection. It's just the onscreen characters. I would sell the hell out of them before I sold Animated.

I love Animated and the characters. At least hang on to Prowl dude :) 

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

My honest opinion,your not going to get much for each figure on ebay. these figures usually sell for less on ebay than they originally cost in stores.

If you've got any MISB animated toys that are sealed. I'd seriously suggest you return them all to various walmart stores for almost full price store credit.
    you'll get a gift card that never expires. since walmart is the everything store getting a walmart gift card isn't that bad of a deal. since you still buy transformers new toys,you can use that gift card to buy newer TF toys.

I've returned a few Animated MISB toys I didn't want to walmart stores a few weeks ago. so all animated toys are still in the walmart computer systems.

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    You should wait a little longer. And if I were you I would sell most of them, because I don't like their alt modes, except maaaaybe for Swindle, Arcee and Rodimus. I'm a BW fan so I haaaad to get Blackarachnia. Maybe Prowl too. Everyone else can go.

I can see why it's tough though because their robot modes are amazing.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Come on due you can't sell Animated. I would rather sell almost my entire collection (excluding most of Cybertron, CHUG, Animated and few movie figures) before that ever happens.

Atleast Keep Ultra Magnus, Megatron and Shockwave. IMO Best figures we got from the line.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It sounds to me like you're not that enthused with the figures a whole lot to begin with. Still, most of the Animated toys are very common, and I agree with others that are saying that you're likely going to end up taking a hit on them right now. If you have the flexibility, store them and let the series appreciate some more.

The question may be, "how long does one wait prior to selling?", and I'd have to say that depends. I know several Transforrmers lines are just now starting to garner some interest, despite having been around for some time. Even some Generation 1 toys will always remain common due to supply/demand. I'd also say that the third movie installment will have a dramatic effect on all Transformers toys' sales. I'd recommend just keep scouting eBay for completed auctions to keep checking on prices of things.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell any of my Animated figures. They have too much darn personality!

16. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    It's to early to make any money off of it

17. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its not very wise to sell something for less than you bought them, and i assume that's the only way you can sell a still-kinda-fresh line. just get them out of your sight for now. maybe you're just feeling a little tf fatigue.

i almost contemplated on selling my collections for cheap when i got really depressed, but you know what, i just picked one of my favorites from the shelf and i played with it a bit and my sanity came back. i'd rather not buy tfs for a long time than sell the ones i already have. the memories they bring back are priceless, IMO. and i have an abundance of memories with the animated line.

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got rid of everything. Except Animated. That was the deal with my wife, yet somehow I keep buying toys.

19. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    sell them...animated sucks and sucked...sell them and invest the $$$ in transformers that you want to collect and keep...just start them in lots at a bid that you can live with and see how they go...i got rid the bulk of my animated transformers this way and made atleast what i paid for them on ebay.

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't think you're going to make alot of money off of most of them, not now, not in a couple of years, so if you're looking to make some money, I'd advise not to sell it..not really worth it I think.

But if you don't like the toys anymore, and don't have space for them..I guess you won't really miss them. :)  I've not yet reached the point where I want to sell off parts of my collection (thankfully)..even the 'lesser' bots I keep because they fill up the shelves. In any case, Animated would definitely be the last series to go for me.