Debating selling my Transformers collection...again

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Hey everyone, I need some opinions. Two of my really good friends recently sold there collections, both of them got tens of thousands for them. This triggered something in me and my wife that we need to consider. We recently had a kid, we have been getting along fine monetarily. My mother recently had a brain aneurysm and thankfully survived unharmed. But this made us think about long term and savings. She brought up possibly selling my collection like my friends. One of them totally regrets selling it, the other says he feels liberated (kept his BT's though).

So to my collection. I never really talk about it much, but to give you background I started college and work at 19 in 1994, I found my old TF collection (over 360 loose items all G1, my dad collected star wars and brought me a TF every time he brought SW figures home). So I began collecting, before ebay and the net blew up and bought case fresh MISB figures for peanuts (G1 cars were $40 MISB). I have pieces that even AFA gives 90's and 95's. My Browning got a 95box from AFA. I have case fresh Grand Max, Overlord, Dezanrus, Soundwave, Star Convoy, Prowl, Bluestreak, Sunstreaker, G1 cars, Headmasters, Targetmasters, G1 and powermaster Optimus, and on and on. Not to mention all the new stuff and my near complete loose collection. (I can provide picture evidence of any piece as long as its not too far back in the storage unit) lol.

I have no beast wars anything though.

I sold a case fresh Raiden, Starscream, Triggerhappy, Sureshot, Star Saber, Victory saber and one or two others a few years ago. I kind of regret it but don't, it was a small piece of my collection but it got me a car. I look at the empty spaces that were on my wall and it bugged me. One day I wanted to have a insane room that would rival anyones. But priorities change. It would be a fantastic amount of savings for us to have and pretty much end and worries of college for our daughter. I know people on here have separated from their collections, how do you feel about? If you were in my shoes would you do it. I could always save the old fashioned way, which I probably will anyway. What if aliens invade and will only spare the Transformers collectors? I'd be screwed. If I won lotto I'd be kicking myself. Seriously though, I should steal my dads Star Wars collection out of his attic and sell it. By the time he noticed, he'd think he lost it.

2. Blue Meanie

Damn I didn't mean to post this here, mods can you switch for me.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, since you don't NEED the money right away, I'd hold onto them for as long as possible. if you end up coming into a tight spot you could sell them then. you know, and more will post this I'm sure, that in the future it will always cost you more to get them back then you sold them for.

4. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

wait until after the TF movie and craze hit, then sell them. Maybe start now by selling newer/more recent TFs that you don't want.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

as someone who sold off his entire collection in the past. think LONG AND HARD about it. you may regret it.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I sold my entire collection back in 2000.

If I could go back and STAB myself for that decision, I would. over and over again.

the way the collectors market is now, if you ever decide you want it back, you likely will never be able to get it without spending tens of thousands of dollars.

7. Blue Meanie

This is my main concern, I'll basically have to let it go for good. Maybe I will just wait until the movie craze hits.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

It's easiler to sell than to buy a collection such as yours. If you sell them don't expect to get them all back even if you have the money. Besides you don't need the money right now. I'd wait since time only helps increase the value of those TFs.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    while your intentions are noble (family orientated), its seems like your looking for a quick buck (since you mentioned you can get by the normal way too).

i say, save it for when its a rainy day, and not just the impulse of cashing in.

being greedy always seems to find a way to bite you in the back.

btw, you really should post some pics. sounds like a sweet collection.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree with everyone else. Dont' sell unless you have to. It's far too difficult to track them all back down. And more costly too. Sell 'em if your family ever needs the money, but not just to cash in.

11. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Well since you mentioned the main reason for selling is to start a savings account an interesting question pops up.
    Is the current (and expected future) long-term interest rate higher or lower than the value growth of your TF collection?
    I don't have enough experience to answer that question, but I do know that it isn't sensible to sell your collection if it's value increases more than the revenues from interest.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I have been massively scaling back my collection and to be honest as I have been going through it I have been looking at things and asking myself why the hell I bought this or that.

To be honest I feel great about it, I have kept some key pieces and that's about it, not only am I putting that money in my move away from this lame state fund, I will have a lot less to move.

13. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'd sell everything I have save alts if I actually thought I could get something for them. I don't think I have anything valuable though so they're in the box for future relatives.

14. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd save them until you really need them. And on some of those rare items, their price wont go down, it can only go up. Im sure you would be kicking yourself if you sold something now for $300, and 2 years later you see it selling for $700.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I was thinking about selling parts of my collection. However the only stuff I would sell is most armada and energon, maybe a few Beast machines. But the stuff I would sell wouldn't fetch much anyway so I might as well just hang on to it.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Damn that's a good question!
    I also would like to know.

If interest rates are higher than TF growth value, then
    there's a little peace of mind for you if you do sell them.
    :) 

just got 1,600 off one from last yr

17. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I agree with Shin. Over the last few months, I sold the majority of my collection, game all my Cybertron toys to my son, and kept alts for myself. It was a great feeling, and I don't regret it one bit.

18. Blue Meanie

Yeah that is one thing I also do. I collected everything from armada, energon etc loose and MISB. I look at them and say "why did I buy this turd". The thing is, I could dump all of them for what I paid probably, but it wouldn't fetch more than $2000-3000 maybe, which is peanuts. I could get than for just one of my G1 MISB pieces. So the debate is selling the good stuff. The interest rates vs the value of the toy climbing is a great point. I sold a case Fresh Starscream that was FLAWLESSLY PERFECT for $850. Now it would go for $3000 AFA graded. It should have gotten a 95 grade or more, though AFA grading is typically weaksauce. I will never be able to replace it, I have looked, and nothing has come close to the condition of my old screamer. Thats one of my big regrets selling, along with a Case Fresh Victory saber.

19. TF@TM

TF@TM Lucky Draw Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah timing it for just after the movie, when TF's will be at there most popular would make the most sence for anyone wanting to sell anything, if they want to cash in. Long term though, I don't see TF's keeping there value. Prices have plumeted due to sites like ebay, and I honestly can't see anything post G2 being worth much individually.

Of cause the other thing is finding someone with the money to but it. Would you sell it as a lump, in groups, individually?

20. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

For all the talk about how TFs will continue to increase - there is certainly no guarantee of that. This market could go up or down any day. There's a lot of toys that have already gone down in value significantly over the past few years. And if the movie is a dud, the "craze" could be a selling craze, not a buying craze.

As much as we like to think it will always be easy to cash out in an instant in the future, the market could easily turn on a dime. Plenty of other markets have done that - Anyone remember Beanie Babies? I remember people swearing that those would last forever. Now they are a buck each at thrift stores - With the tag protectors!

There's nothing wrong with paring down a collection. Especially when you have bigger and more pressing responsabilities, like a family. Selling some items now diversifies your risk plus lets you take your time to get top dollar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.