Debate/toy cost help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by misterd, Jul 30, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Been having a running debate with someone on the JoeBattlelines forum about the expense of using cloth accessories in action figures. I've heard many times (mostly through different 'con reports) that the cloth accessories generally cost more than equivilient plastic goods (ie a cloth vest vs plastic vest). I think the first time I'd heard it was many years ago in reference to Star Wars figures, but more recently in context of the Sigma 6/KungFu Grip line. Anyway, my oppenent disagrees based on other toys he's gotten at BigLots with cloth accessories, and believe Hasbro is basically lying, and charging $15 for figures that cost the same as $10 ones.

If anyone knows anything, with links if possible, what I'm trying to find out is:

1) What is the general cost of cloth vs plastic.
    2) What would be a normal markup on $10 and $15 action figures.

Thanks in advance.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd assume cloth would be more expensive than plastic...I mean that makes the most sense anyways.

Not sure exactly the difference, but I'm fairly certain there is one.

Sorry I can't be of more help though.

3. misterd

Yeah, that's the problem. He doesn't accept my word about what others have told me (specifically long-lost quotes from 'cons, or relayed information on message boards from people in the industry or with contacts). He doesn't believe the recent SDCC statement by a Hasbro rep. He doesn't believe the item-by-item comparison of any two S6 figures at each price point, saying whatever difference there is would only come up to a couple of pennies. And the toys he is trying to use as a comparison are budget toys (Eltie Forces) in discount stores do come with cloth goods, but are so lacking in the action figure itself and the quality of plastic accessories that it is absurd to try to hold it up as proof that Hasbro is screwing its customers. It is a bit like arguing with a conspiracy theoriest (JFK, 9/11, Roswell... take your pick), but I figure this would be my one last stab. I tried doing a few internet searches, but my parameters were unhelpful

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think that PJ has his mind made up. I agree that cloth is more expense than plastic. Takes more material and more hands to pay, but you know how I feel on the rest of the subject ;) 

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I would think that cloth would be less expensive in the short run, especially if it's just a cut square, and it's synthetic. There's no need for a mold to make the cloth part as opposed to the plastic one.

However in the long run, I would think the mold cost would negate itself, and it is probably cheaper to buy bulk plastic than bulk cloth.

I'm by no means an expert, these are just my thoughts.

6. misterd

I know, but I figured it would be worth a shot to give him some evidence beyond my own recollection of past conversations which he won't accept since I can't provide transcripts.

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Well, ABS base plastics are cheap. I mean CHEAP. It takes very little to make the plastic pellets that then get re-melted to go into whatever mold you need to make parts. Cloth on the other hand, even in its base form has already had a moderately complex action done to it, weaving. After that you would still need to at least cut it to its shape, so you have another type of die set, just not one as complicated.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    A plastic vest is injected into a mould and popped out. A fabric vest is stitched together from multiple pieces, and it has to be assembled by hand with more care taken so that it doesn't rip.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think triple M and RandomFerret raise good points. In terms of product alone, you've gotta consider the quantity of plastic vs. cloth...but in terms of labor, it's going to be more expensive to assemble/sew together/etc. the cloth action figure items.

10. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Cloth has to be woven by a machine which would take a little bit longer to make and the then it would have to be cut and sewed(?) in to a little shirt and then put on your favorite toy. Opposed to pouring the mold bonding them on or just painting them on.

-Thank you Mr. Rodgers and Mr. McFeely

11. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I think we can go along with what Hasbro said. There have been several articles in trade magazines (I mean real magazines, not Toyfare) from the Mattel and Marx companies who have confirmed that cloth is more expensive.