Death of saturday mornings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaastra, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's an intresting read.

http://www.overstim.net/read/saturday.html

It tells why saturday morning and syndication cartoons were killed and why a syndicated tranasformers would never air today thanks to the fcc!

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:( 

3. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Interesting read. The bottom line is that technology and increasing divorce rates have killed Saturday Morning Cartoons. When I was a kid of the late 70's and 80's, it was Saturday Morning Cartoons and Church on Sunday with donuts when we got home. :D 

4. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Very good read and very sad at the same time. That era was a part of my life, and what fun it was.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

That just sucks. If decent cartoons were still an option on Saturday mornings, you can bet your ass that kids would be watching them...I tend to think that the toons changed and left the kids with fewer viewing options. At least that's the way it happened to me!

6. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I disagree with some of that article. If kids were doing more sports and activities with their parents, we wouldn't have all these obese kids you see on tv and in public. The bottom line is: most kids would rather play video games. One other thing that I disagree with, "13 year old boys don't watch cartoons (paraphrased)." BULL!!! This 30 year old boy would still rather watch a cartoon over live action tv anyday. I agree with fschuler, the cartoons aren't as good, and they don't mature with the kids.

This is a sad read, but it just adds to the topic that the 80s was the best time to be a kid. We had the best toys, that the gov't won't let our kids have. We had the best TV, which the networks won't pay for us to have again. It was great, I miss it, and I'll always enjoy remembering it.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Increased emphasis on family time...? This would be funny if it weren't sad.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I agree completly with what you said, cept for the mature cartoons. Cartoons such as the new He Man and TMNT are plently mature for anyone to watch.

As for the cable networks, I have no problem with watch shows on a wed vs a saturday, but it was a memorable time.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

that's ok, abc family still has some great saturday morning toons. so does toon disney, cartoon network... and wb. what more do i need?

10. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Cable channels, they obviously weren't included in this article. Oh well, their loss.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

QFT!!!

I missed the Voltrons, Masters of the Universe, Robotech, and Transformers morning. Ah those were the days when cartoons rule.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Interesting. I remember as a kid always being excited to watch my saturday monring cartoons and even the after school ones. It is sad that the kids today don't get to experience the joy of the 80's. I just goes to show that todays cartoons don't capture the imagination as well as the cartoons of days past.

13. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Such BS. It says kids should be doing more than sitting there watching toons on Saturday mornings? Screw that, I would get up at the crack of dawn and the best stuff was over by nine in the morning. That pretty much left the rest of the day for everything else.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I really feel bad for people under the age of 25 or so. They never witnessed the true awesomeness of Saturday Morning Cartoon's. Nothing on Cable today holds a candle to what those few networks produced for us desire toys.

15. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

There was nothing like waking up at around 6 and getting all your cartoons in before the parents had even stirred :) 

16. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    I don't agree with the part syaing that the cartoons haven't changed. They definitely have. Over the summer, my ex stayed home one saturday morning when i was going to get an oil change. I came back and she said "all of these cartoons suck. they're the same premise - a kid w/ a group of other things that aren't quite like him get into some zany misadventure. by the end of the episode its all fixed though." Seeing as how she had the mentality of a 12 year old, I figure that most kids must feel the same way - its all very redundant cartoons.

17. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I agree that Saturday morning cartoons are much worse than when I was a kid 20 years ago. Good thing is now though, you can download or buy many of the older cartoon shows (on DVD) and make up your own Saturday morning cartoon line-up like Smurfs, Snorles, Turtles, Transformers, and many, many more!

ViperDragon

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saturday morning cartoons is what I remember as being the golden era of my life. It's sad that kids today won't get that.

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree with the saying that those under 25 never got to experience great Saturday morning cartoons. Hell, I just turned 21 and I can remember plenty of Saturday mornings waking up and watching Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Transformers G2, and other great cartoons at 5 in the morning and this was probably around 1991 or 92. The 90s had great cartoons on Saturday mornings, ABC's One Surday Morning and FOX Kids took up most of my Saturday mornings. Nickelodeon had great programming too on Saturday mornings.

20. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I'm going to be 24 in July, and I remember waking up to watch He-Man, She-Ra, the original Transformers, G.I.Joe, Turtles, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Silverhawks, and many many others... I did experience the great cartoons I think.