Dear Truck, stop costing me money. Love, Ops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Srsly.

3 weeks ago, I get ticketed coming out of GMU for an expired state tag. Now, yeah, that's a totally justified reason to get ticketed, but it doesn't mean it didn't cause me a bit of frustration. That's $85 down the drain. Should I have renewed those tags sooner? Oh, of course. Did I? No. So...feh. I made a mistake, I grumbled, I paid for it.

2 weeks ago, my alternator dies, leaving me with battery power to drive the truck the half-hour between school and home. Fortunately, the insurance covered half of the repairs to that setup, but that was about $300 out the door for the remainder of the repairs. Boo. That one was totally unexpected.

Today, I walk out to my repaired truck, having had a pretty nice day at school, to find ANOTHER ticket. For what reason? I left my school parking permit at the house; I took it out of the truck while it was in the shop. This...yeah, this is genuinely frustrating. It kinda feels like adding insult to injury. Goddammit.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought this was gonna be about the gazillion primes. :lol  I assume you're going to try to argue the newest ticket since you in fact own a permit?

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Yup, I just mailed in the appeal. Included the permit # and everything. I kinda hope that somebody lenient will read it, and, hopefully, read it when they're having a good day.

However, it's campus parking police. I'm not holding my breath or placing bets. :( 

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah those guys are freakin' ANAL. campus' make majority of their annual income from parking tickets... how sad is that for a legitmate fact? the tiny campus here (8000 undergrads) makes multi-million dollars annually just from parking tickets.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Campus Police suck! My girl just got a ticket from some Campus PoPo!

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I remember seeing some report about my old school (a Big 10 univ) making 1/16th of its expenditures back through parking tickets per year. 1/16th of the total expenditures by a Big 10 university is still a significant chunk of change.

7. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hehehe. I used to get into it with the campus cops all the time when I had my Blazer. It stood out to much. I had REALLY dark windows, including a rather illegal windshield strip, that coincidentally concealed my parking permit. After about the 100th time of showing them that there was a permit under it, I'd just flip 'em a bird and leave. I didn't really care if they gave me a ticket though. It's been 9 years since I went there, and I'm sure that I still have unpaid tickets. Good luck with yours.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Yeah! Damn those campus police! Damn them for doing their job!

*shakes fist*

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I'm not going out of my way to say that all campus cops are pigs or some garbage like that, I'm just genuinely frustrated. Getting penalized $75 for forgetting a parking permit on one day is bothersome. I'm not going to unilaterally slam the system for it, though. I know they're doing their job.

10. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

man am i lucky! it just so happened that one of the colleges that i went to had the nicest head of security (then again he may have been nice because him and his wife were extremely close friends of my family). so whenever i got a parking ticket all i had to do was go to him and he would get the charges dropped! that was nice, i didn't even have to have a permit!!:D 

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:

This thread is the best thing ever. The wailing and gnashing of teeth are like sweet, sweet music unto mine ears.

I should print it out and hang it on the bulletin board in my duty room.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

And people wonder why I live in the middle of nicely metropolitan area and ride the bus...

13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I also thought this was going to be about to many Prmes, lol

Sorry to hear about the BS for you, ops. good luck with the appeal.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I honestly expected this thread to be about fuel mileage.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm. Perhaps my Big 12 school should have taken this into consideration before slashing student parking to...I dunno, 11 spaces or so. Seriously, where there were once vast "C permit" parking lots, there are ancillary athletic structures, brought about by a revitalized football program I guess. Large chunks of meter spaces and 'hour/day pay' lots have been wiped out due to new buildings and/or construction. They've also pretty much eradicated any parking inside the campus itself, closing much of it off to thru traffic, not that there were many places for lowly students to park in the first place.
    If you commute to campus, you've got to be pretty well screwed at this point. I moved to the northern edge of campus to get away from the hour commute into the city in the first place. Gotta be doubly frustrating to have to do that only to find there's nowhere to friggin' park.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sounds a lot like what Purdue's doing now. Just build into those crowded parking lots, not like anyone's using them.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Maybe Ops is better off being a monkey...trucks cost too much!

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hmm. seems your namesake has bit you in the ass.

19. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I got a ticket once at college for not having a permit displayed. I hadn't gotten one yet as they had just started issuing them and I was inbetween vehicles. I was driving my Mom's car a bit and my Dad's truck too, and hadn't gotten a (FREE at the time) permit. By the time I had gotten my S-10, I had gotten a ticket. I politely and civily disputed it, got my permit, and started driving my S-10 on a regular basis. Problem solved.

Until my S-10 started being a problematic POS with problems left and right. I dropped that truck before the warranty ran out!

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Parking at my school is $400+ a year--and I don't know how other schools do it, but they bil tickets to your student account, so no chance of weaseling out.

Fortunately, I bike, which kicks ass except when it rains.