Dear Third Parties: PLEASE make your own PotP Hun-Grrrs

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hot Shot., Sep 10, 2017.

?

Would you buy a 3P voyager Hun-Grrr?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. Maybe

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    There's no way in hell its not a retool, it has the same arms legs and body shape and same.shoulders.
    Screenshot_20170910-140922.png

• Like Like x 10
  2. Chainlink

Chainlink The Annihilator

Aside from needing a tail (which I'm sure it'll have. It's on the robot's torso, after all), the only thing I'd want changed on Hasbro's version are the hind legs.

3. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It was what Hasbro said when asked. In fairness you could lay most figures down and you'd have the same body shape and get something not too far away from Hun-grrr's alt mode. The forearms do look very similar however so I wouldn't be surprised if they copied the engineering on those.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I made the thread. How else am I supposed to take this comment?

But all of the molded detail is entirely different. That means it's a digital retool of Silverbolt that they'll have to make an entirely new mold for.

The implications of this are what get my goat. If it's not a cost issue, then what is it? Lack of development time? Hasbro not wanting to pay the designers for their hours worked? Flat-out laziness?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TCJJ

TCJJ 106% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You're not the only one in this thread though, are you? Don't take it so personally. Or do. I don't care. Regardless, you seem to have missed the part where I pointed our your "beyond awful" etc. comment. Sounds like bitching and whining to me.

Because you can tell all of this from one image, right? What it means is that it's not a digital anything - it's a photo of a resin prototype. At least, I assume it's resin, as that's usually what the grey prototypes are make from.
    The upper limb parts look pretty much identical, especially the hips and inner shoulders.
    There is likely plenty of stuff crammed into it that hasn't been retooled or has only been retooled aesthetically. I'm not sure exactly how Hasbro's business model and general production process works for these sort of things, but they've been doing much more extensive retools like these recently, so it's not exactly a stretch. I know @incapable hulk said otherwise but it's possible that "new mould" to Hasbro doesn't meant "110% original". I have a feeling, though, that this is like DOTM Roadbuster/AOE Lockdown where they're basically the same figure but they're totally not at all, and so Lockdown definitely counts as a new mould. TLK Hot Rod is similar.
    Budget. They're putting out more toys than they used to and technically have a bigger budget but their output is higher across almost all their IPs, so... it comes down to budget. Budget budget budget. If they can use shared engineering or even tooling, that means they can make more toys and afford more retools. So you could get, for example (and this is not an accurate example since I obviously don't have access to their budget numbers and such), one new mould or three retools for the same price. If you're a company like Hasbro, you choose the latter where possible because it means higher output in general. Obviously they still have to make new moulds - they can't just reuse them over and over again, but still, they don't want to only use a mould once else it's a waste of an investment.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    upload_2017-9-11_12-53-49.png

• Like Like x 6
  7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Always enjoy reading other opinions.

Having to put away Intimidator for storage in Vehicle mode from combined....holy crap that sucked. CW/UW made me realize how simple transformations could be.

But (BIG but here)

The main reason I keep my MT Quantron and FP Intimidator is I much prefer their look vs the CW/UW. (I hate the chicken legs of Computron and the way Menasor looks even with the PE addons).

The considering they're both statues to be looked at 99.999% of their life with me, looks count more for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Because why pay 100 dollars each for a 3P limb when the 15 dollar one looks decent? Because if 3Ps designed combiners that used the Combiner Wars engineering (and nobody's raised Trademark Hell over Lone Wolf so they really ought to be able to) they could buy into a massive play pattern that far more people have.

• Like Like x 1
  9. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It's an interesting point. I think more than likely that what we are seeing is engineering influenced by previous toys. TR Chromedome for example was a brand new mold and not a retool but it clearly took some influence from CW Dead End/Streetwise. We've seen that since the dawn of TF's though. G1 Jazz isn't far off the Datsuns with his transformation yet we'd say it's a different mold and not a retool.

I imagine when they come up with new toys they often look to older toys for ideas and inspiration. I can see why people see Silverbolt in that Hun-grrr but personally I don't think it is a retool - it just shares a couple of the same tricks.

10. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

So...am I the only one who voted Yes partially on the basis of wanting official Combiner torso upgrades just as a matter of course? Based on what we've seen so far I'm not totally sold on this Hun-Gurrr, but more than that I just like what can be done with a well-designed upgrade set, even more so than a full figure in many ways.
    Forelegs for me.
    It shares some of the same engineering. That's not quite the same thing as a retool.
    At risk of prolonging a bit of a silly ****fight, it could simply be that Hasbro have a design that works well for the purpose and don't feel the need to change it/feel that it could work well here.
    I mean, it could be laziness, or cost, or a combination of the above, or it could be some of the above PLUS having a serviceable design already.

• Like Like x 2
  11. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I collect third party figures but I really don't see the point of calling out a figure that will be around 1/4 the price of the third party equivalent for not being the same quality at a lower price point.

It's like comparing Ferrari with Ford and complaining that the Ford doesn't get enough steamy window action.

• Like Like x 3
  12. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    We don't expect it to look as good as a $100 3P figure, but it should also look better than the worst of the $5 figures. And it should look at least as good as most of the other recent torsos. Seriously, the Beast Hunters Hun-Grr looked better.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

Looks like the upcoming TFC Satan will fit the bill.

Or is he too big for the scale you're chasing?

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is it doesn't even look as good as the G1 toy and it looks like some scrambled up fan mode than a proper dragon alt mode. Normally I agree but HasTak should've been able to do better than this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Just pretend he's wearing cargo pants, it's cool.

16. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

3p has all but abandon the chug scale

which i am getting tired of every thing being forced into a MP size scale except for a few offerings

• Like Like x 3
  17. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    My main problem with this figure are all those tiny limbs in the alt mode, the tiny head, and the tiny spikes.

18. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

I'd buy a nice 3P Hungrrr. I shelled out for the C+ Defensor kit that significantly improved Hot Spot, and I'll probably shell out for the C+ Onslaught replacement if it ever comes out. I've upgraded every single CW/UW combiner team I own to a greater or lesser degree.

And I'd still buy the hell out of a good 3P G1 Abominus/Terrorcons set (the UT one isn't good enough, especially in team form).

I like options. Those who want to keep their whole combiner to a $100 tops, don't upgrade, that's cool. There's still guys like me who don't mind spending (well OK, I don't like spending but I somehow feel compelled to help out those poor Hasbro toys) to nicerify the official stuff.

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Level Six Laser Lotus

A whole new 3p figure to replace the torso? I dont really see that happening. Its more likely that someone (Perfect Effect?) will make an upgrade kit. He needs bigger front legs in alt mode more than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

If Alberich was the first toy (Rather than Troll, who was amazing), Ordinn would not have been the success it was. This Rippersnapper Hasbro are coming out with is a better monster mode Rippersnapper than Johnny Longtorso

And, well, I get you've mentioned the elbow joint thing, but people just do not care about dedicated elbow joints on this smaller scale. I sure don't. Legs do the job well enough.

Anywho, in terms of Hun-Grrr I'm gonna be interested to see it when its released and what happens. Front legs look easy enough a quick upgrade kit could get something working out of that, and I'm not all that fussed about the back legs. I doubt a third party is going to make a whole new torso though.