Dear Third Parties: PLEASE make your own PotP Hun-Grrrs

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hot Shot., Sep 10, 2017.

?

Would you buy a 3P voyager Hun-Grrr?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. Maybe

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It doesn't have a head, so it is clearly unfinished. It's using Silverbolt parts, so it may still be a mockup.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    It's not using Silverbolt's parts. I compared them last night to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Driskull98

Driskull98 World's Only Snarler Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, how dare you refuse to settle for something you don't like. Boo!

My biggest issue with a 3P Hun-Grrr is that it won't match the style of the other Terrorcons. I wouldn't mind a 3P version however, even though I think the Hasbro one looks okay, (especially considering it'll be displayed in robot or combined mode most of the time).

4. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Hun gurr is just a cw silverbolt retool, typical hasblo.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    All due respect, there's the door.

This is a message board where adults who buy toys discuss their opinions on said toys. Who gives a shit if they're kids toys? Adults still buy them, and they still have opinions about them. You don't like those opinions? Tough shit. Don't want to read them? Then don't fucking read them, because if you've got enough real life problems not to care then take care of your shit instead of writing posts to bitch about other people writing posts.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Serious? Of course I am.

Let's say I want a cartoon accurate Menasor for my CHUG collection. What options do I have? The Fansproject Menasor that is an afternoon chore just to transform and comes with a fiddly Motormaster that doesn't even have box feet, a Dead End that barely even looks like the character, and a Drag Strip that has crappy looking tiny feet and is prone to windshield cracks? Nope. TransformMission Menasor? Nope, because it's MP scale.

Or how about Computron? My options are the Maketoys one, which has a Nosecone which barely looks like Nosecone and an overly convoluted transformation, an Afterburner with oven mitten hands, an inaccurate head sculpt, and a transformation where I need to bend parts just to transform it, and a combined mode that has leg ports that are a pain in the ass to use. Nope. Or how about Warbotron Computron? Nope, shit aesthetic with greebles everywhere. UW + PE feet it is.

Superion? Only options are that shitty unstable TFC one or the partsforming Fansproject one that uses those old Energon toys. Nope.

Defensor? My options are the Maketoys one with the greebled up Hot Spot that barely looks like Hot Spot and a Streetwise that has the wrong colors, or the crappy TFC one that still uses energon ports. Nope.

I don't know why this $15 toy

[​IMG]

has better proportions and a cleaner look than this $95 toy.

[​IMG]

Frankly I don't trust 3Ps to actually make combiner limbs that are simple, accurate, and look good.

Salty for preferring more accurate toys that I can actually play with without spending 30mins-1hr and sore fingers to transform them all? You're gonna have to explain your meme to me, friendo.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I'm all for more options. I don't know if a 3P PotP Hun-Gurrr replacement is necessary but if it brings improvements to the as of yet fully revealed Abominus, I say why not?

Now, I don't particularly dislike PotP Hun-Grr, not because I find it aesthetically pleasing or that I think it's a marvel of toy design. I just have nothing to go off of except for a single prototype picture, which seems to conceal the bot mode face. So I am reserving judgment.

I don't view reusing a mold, if appropriate, as anything bad. It's just understandable business practice. The molds for the components of toys are costly. While it is an out of the ordinary example, I recall on a WTF@TFW podcast, a few episodes ago, that Aaron Archer was quoted as saying that Metroplex's steel mold costs in the $300,000 range. So looking at a Voyager class toy, I can see its steel mold costing in the tens of thousands of dollars range. So if Hun-Gurrr is reusing CW Voyager Silverbolt's mold, to a degree, that's understandable. On the other hand, there is a significant degree of retooling to make CW Silverbolt into Hun-Grr so it's not HasTak being cheap at all, just trying to make a new toy while saving money by accessing some existing mold parts. It doesn't make sense to begrudge a business for doing that when making a mass market toy geared towards the consumer who is in the age range of 10 or 12 to mid teens.

So, I wouldn't mind seeing a 3P replacement for PotP Hun-Gurrr but I don't think it's in dire need.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Hey, guys, let's keep the thread civil and stop the name-calling.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 8
  9. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    I dont think its a terrible design yet. I will wait and see it hand before i make any permanent opinion. that said PE and C+ created add on kits that fixed most issues with CW. Menasor and Defensor needed it the most IMOP. I think most people/collectors will be happy with what this once we see it in color and his combined mode

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    I can't think of a 3P figure that served as an upgrade, that was Badcube levels of difficult.

And most of us want a display piece over playing. Don't come in the 3P forum all shitty about that.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

UT Rippersnapper (Alberich) is quite good! And it looks great in all of his 3 modes... And it has a proper elbow joint in his arm mode, something Hasbro doesn't use at all...

• Like Like x 1
  12. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It's a grey prototype. I am more than happy to wait and see how it turns out being as the pictures are grainy, lack any paint or colour due to them being grey prototypes and we have no sense of how he looks next to other toys or in torso mode.

It seems a bit early to be saying it's awful.

13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    And then they will remould a two headed dragon into a turtle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

IMG_2892.GIF

• Like Like x 2
  15. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    At least wait until the final product is out before making an entire thread to bitch and whine about how it's the worst figure ever made.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Summerization of Thread.

d4fd797fddeba54e7fb0a36e70a76428--sarcastic-quotes-hope-quotes.jpg

*mic drop*

• Like Like x 3
  17. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Hasbro confirmed it's an all new mould and not a retool of Silverbolt.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Show me when we've ever seen a figure at a convention that was heavily reworked before release. This is more than likely the final design.

Talk to me and not your strawman, please. I made this thread to stir a little support ahead of time for a third party option, because god knows they did fuck-all for Galvatron.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I never said it'd be "heavily reworked", did I? I was pointing out that we saw a photo of a slide show containing images of a resin prototype. Hun-Gurrr's head was obscured with a Decepticon insignia, signalling his head at least hasn't been finalised yet, and I can't personally see a tail in his beast mode so I'm wondering if part of his tail/backside are still stuck underneath him as his undercarriage because they're too fragile to transform/stuck in place on the prototype.

Yes, the undercarriage isn't pretty, but the point is, we barely know anything about it yet. We saw prototype images from one angle. You're jumping to a drastic conclusion based on very little evidence, and that's just stupid.
    Regardless of your intention, your first post - and the first post of the thread - goes on to state that the official Hun-Gurrr is "is beyond awful and doesn't work on any level", despite us barely having seen anything of it. There are far more people than just you complaining about it being horrible based on one crappy image of a resin prototype. Presuming I was specifically targeting you with my comment is either egotistical or narcissistic , or you seem to think I have a valid point that you need to rebut.
    So no, I maintain that wasn't a strawman, though I admit I exaggerated on the "worst figure ever made" part, but considering what some people say on these boards, it's not often a far stretch.

• Like Like x 3
  20. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    I would beg for a Voyager g1 seeker which 3p seems entirely unable to do.

• Like Like x 5