Dear Hasbro (a sorta-rant)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xenomrph, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Dear Hasbro,

I like you guys. I really do. I've got hundreds of Transformers spanning all different sublines and whatnot. You make some of the best action figures out there, too. A lot of your Star Wars, GI Joe, and Marvel stuff has been great. I've thoroughly enjoyed giving you my money for years and years, ever since I was a kid (although a great deal of my childhood action figures were Kenner, which you guys later acquired). You've done a lot of really, really cool stuff, especially with Transformers, and it's great seeing the engineering and designs improve over time. It makes me look forward to scouting out stores for new stuff. I spent a lot of money on Transformers in 2010, and got a lot of really, really cool ones. Pretty much the entire HFTD line was awesome and I loved it. Hubcap has become my #1 favorite Transformer of all time. He's perfect.

Which is why I'm wondering what exactly happened in 2011.

I've liked the movie toys from the prior two movies, and I was looking forward to the DotM line. To an extent I still am, since it feels like a good deal of it hasn't been released yet, but I'll get to that.
    I bought a LOT of toys from the first two movies. Like, nearly all of them (except for repaints). Pretty much one of each character, although I also got the Protoform Optimus and Starscream, too.
    For RotF I didn't buy quite as many, but I still bought a lot. One of each for the new characters, and some of the "updates" (Battle Blades Bumblebee, Leader Optimus) because they were significant improvements over the prior versions.

DotM.... I don't know what happened. It was just all over the place. Flooding the pegs/shelves with Bumblebee and Optimus hurt it a lot. Scaling back the sizes and generally lowering the quality didn't do it any favors, either. I don't know what the deal with Deluxe Sideswipe was, but that grey plastic just doesn't hold up compared to the shiny pseudo-metallic from the RotF version.
    The Mechtech weapons idea wasn't really thought out well. Some of the Deluxe-class weapons are cool, but they'd be a whole lot cooler if they could lock into place. Without being able to do that, most of them are totally useless. Even if they weren't spring-loaded, so you just switched them from one mode to the other and back again manually, that would have been fine. But making them unable to lock into place? What were you thinking?
    I will say that Ratchet's buzzsaw is awesome and I still find myself fiddling with it. I wish more of them had been like that.

What are the chances of us seeing a consistent version of the Wreckers? No matter what size class you buy, there's no way to get all 3 as weaponized OR non-weaponized.

I liked the Stealth Force concept, and we got some cool Stealth Force toys in 2010. The idea was cool enough that Michael Bay specifically included it in Dark of the Moon.... but you didn't see fit to release any new Stealth Force toys to acknowledge that? Huh?

And then there's the distribution/release schedule, which has seriously been all over the place. Part of why I haven't bought a lot of Transformers in 2011 is because there hasn't been a lot to buy. Sure you released a lot of stuff, but a lot of it was Optimus/Bumblebee toys that I didn't care about. I have a Bumblebee and Optimus toy from the prior movie line and I like them a lot. New versions that come with goofy gigantic weapons but are otherwise smaller/less detailed/inferior to the ones I already have isn't going to convince me to give up my money. As far as I'm concerned, every single "new" toy of a pre-existing character has been inferior to an early release with the exception of Ratchet, and I originally wasn't going to buy him because I already had a Ratchet from the first movie line.
    It just feels like not a lot actually came out, and that there's more waiting to be released but we've gotten no information on it. Are we ever going to see a Dino/Mirage toy? We haven't even seen a prototype yet and the movie's been out for almost 7 months. Why did we have to wait so long for a Soundwave or Wheeljack toy? When is Deluxe Leadfoot going to come out? It feels like you front-loaded the toyline with a half-dozen Optimus/Bumblebee versions instead of giving us new characters like you did with RotF.
    On top of this, when stuff does come out it's seemed like it's been in really limited quantities. To date I've seen only a handful of Cyberverse Guzzles, Flaks, or Soundwaves on the pegs, while dozens and dozens of Optimus and Bumblebee completely fill the pegs. Many Toys R Us stores I've checked have either been totally barren of Transformers toys, or been restocked with old RotF stuff they must have had lying around just to take up space. It's silly.
    It's turned scouting stores from an adventure into a chore. I generally don't even bother anymore because it's just a huge disappointment. I'd say this carries over to some of your other lines as well - I can think of many stores that still have Iron Man 2 toys warming the pegs and that movie came out a couple years ago, and I can see the Thor ones doing the same thing. I see a lot of the same Marvel Universe toys all the time, and I can't remember the last time I saw new Star Wars figures on the pegs. Am I ever going to see Wedge Antilles? All I see are stormtroopers/clonetroopers and Anakin/Obi-wan.
    I never saw Windcharger at retail, which strikes me as a bit silly, and there's been other toys I probably would have been interested in had they not been canceled.

And with the Prime stuff that's supposed to be out, to date I still haven't seen the "first edition" Voyagers that are supposed to exist. I'd love to get Bulkhead and Optimus, but I can't actually find them. And again, distribution has been an issue - I see far more Bumblebees than I do of Starscream or Arcee, which strikes me as especially silly when Bumblebee doesn't actually seem like that major of a character on the show. Don't get me wrong, he's cool on the show and I like his toy, but I'd expect to see more Arcees given her representation on the show. And the Arcee toy is awesome, by the way.

Having said this, Cyberverse is great. I've dumped a lot of money into that, picking up pretty much every character except the Twins. Yes, even Bumblebee and Optimus. They're small and fun and I like them a lot, and I'm looking forward to getting the Prime ones when they start showing up. I've liked the DotM Cyberverse line much, much more than the main DotM line.
    Generations and Reveal the Shield were pretty solid, too. Wheeljack and Warpath are wonderful, so is Kup, Tracks, Wreck-Gar, and Lugnut.
    I guess it seems like the main DotM line hasn't gotten a lot of love. Too many gimmicks, inferior quality, smaller size, too many versions of a couple characters while other characters haven't gotten a single toy, sparse/inconsistent releases, it just feels like it's been all over the place and I don't understand it. Is the DotM line "done", now that Prime stuff is going to come out? What happened to completely new movieverse characters and toys, like we got with TFTM and RotF? I'm talking stuff like Longarm, Payload, Highbrow, Mindset, Brawn, Stratosphere, Arcee, Stockade, Dropkick, Bludgeon, and that's just off the top of my head. With DotM we got... Air Raid and Skyhammer (and Flak and Guzzle if you count Cyberverse).

I really want to keep giving you my money, but damn if you didn't make it difficult in 2011. Here's hoping we can get things straightened out for 2012.

Sincerely,
    Xenomrph

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    2012 dude.

And relax on the Prime stuff, good things come...

3. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got Cliffjumper and Wheeljack on Saturday and I'm hopefully picking up Megatron tomorrow.
    It's rare for me to say this, but right now I love Hasbro and would like to bake them a big cake. Their DOTM release schedule was pitiful however, so no candles.

4. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's more of a rant about how disappointing the main DotM line was, even though a lot of those problems carried across all lines we saw in 2011.

5. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

As usual, Xenomrph is dead-on. 2012 isn't looking any better (so far). Something is rotten over as Hasbro, my guess is a change in TF brand management or something.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Really?

Do we forget the goodness of Leader Sentinel Prime? Or Voyager Skyhammer, Shockwave, Megatron? Or maybe Deluxe topspin, crankcase, starscream, ratchet? What about Basic HA Whirl? Tailpipe? Crosshairs? Sandstorm?

Was the mainline really that disappointed? Btw, I happen to REALLY like Leaderhide and Ult. OP, but I know those are more of an opinion then general fan conclusion...

I guess for some people, the glass is always half empty.

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro really doesn't have much control over distribution guys. They make the product and the retailers order what they want and distribute themselves. The reason things aren't hitting the shelves as early as you want has a lot to do with the trickle down effect of the economy and thats slowing things down. If you wanna complain about distribution contact Walmart, Target, and TRU. Patience grasshoppa :p 

8. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Shockwave was cool, although I'd have loved a Leader-class one so he could actually, you know, fight my totally awesome Leader Optimus from the RotF line. Likewise, I passed on Voyager Megatron in the hopes that we'll get a Leader version of him too. His Mack truck design is REALLY AWESOME, and I want a huge toy to do it justice that'll look good facing off against my Optimus. The Voyager one just doesn't cut it, especially with his really sparse paint apps. He looks unfinished. When we saw the prototype photos that leaked I assumed we were seeing an unpainted prototype, but no that was actually the finished toy and it was shameful.

I passed on Starscream because I have the Leader one from HFTD. Seriously the deluxe is a huge step back from the Leader, who is completely amazing and one of my favorite Transformers from 2010. I imagine I'd have liked Starscream more if a fantastic Leader version hadn't come out the year prior and knocked it completely out of the park. Heck, why didn't they wait and release Leader Starscream as part of the DotM line? It probably would have raised my opinion of the line a great deal.

I like the Human Alliance basics for the most part, especially Sandstorm, Backfire, and Icepick. I almost have problems considering them part of the "main" line, similar to how I treated the "real gear" toys from the first movie, but that's just me being irrational I guess. :p 

But yeah, the main line was a disappointment. The only Voyagers I bought were Shockwave (because we didn't get a Leader) and Skyhammer. Compare that to the voyagers from TFTM and RotF (and their associated sublines) where I bought pretty much every single one except for repaints and retools.

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes, perhaps we want Shockwave or Megatron at a different scale (leader), however, one cannot deny that they were GOOD TOYS. They were well designed, if you look pass the scale. I am not saying they are perfect, but they were definitely, not shitty. In fact, I consider Voyager Meg to be the best meg that came out of the MOvie Trilogy line. Could it have used better paint apps? Probably.

I passed on starscream as well, since I do have the leader, which is a completely awesome and definitive version. But there have been nothing but praise from people that got the deluxe to play with.

I am not a huge movie collector, so I only collect a few versions of the toys, but from ROTF and TFTM, I only have a small portion of their toys as well that I wanted. So this one doesn't really change it. Moreover, perhaps the DOTM line is not over. I don't know what's cooking for Hasbro. Maybe the Prime line has stolen the spotlight and the manpower DOTM needed.

But honestly, I personally wouldn't complain about that. I would much rather have prime toys than Movie toys. I am sure that's just a personal opinion though ^^;

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    The mainline seemed as disappointing to us collectors because it double dipped on A LOT of characters.

The only carry over Deluxe in ROTF was Bumblebee and Barricade. Everybody else was a totally new character. Prime got a totally updated mould. Ironhide got the same toy with better guns. Starscream a totally new and improved voyager. Megatron a new form and toy. Ratchet was the only big name carry over in larger sizes.

From ROTF to dotm the first waves were crowded with repeat performances. Bumblebee, Barricade, Ironhide, both Twins, Sideswipe, Optimus, Starscream and Ratchet all got arguably inferior moulds all around. Megatron was the only figure that added a new form instead of just a new transformation.

The only actual new HA large figure was Roadbuster, who shipped with 40 other Bumblebees, who already had shipped in EVERY HA wave since 2009, and a black Skids. And that Leadfoot which was not available that much.

So no, for every LDR Sentinel and Ironhide, we got tons of other stuff most of us collectors already had.

12. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Was it that disappointing?

... yes.

If you're NOT a huge fan of alt-modes that are "cars with a giant boxy gun hanging off the side" then the mainline was pitiful. The lack of diversity, and really the lack of product really hurt it. Which isn't to say there weren't bright spots. I absolutely loved every DotM Mainline figure I got. However, I was only even slightly tempted to get four of them (Laserbeak, Thundercracker, Skyhammer and Darksteel). The rest were utterly uninteresting to me. And the distribution was utter, utter crap. While I normally put this on the retailers, not Hasbro, it's at least partially Hasbro's fault for the casepacks, overloading early waves with repetitive characters.

Dull alt-mode choices, cutting corners on figures (smaller figures, less paint, etc) and an unexciting gimmick makes me feel like DotM was the most disappointing of the three movie lines. It just struck me as so... dull. I think part of it was the lack of off-screen characters... the lack of a need to comply to an existing model gives toy designers the chance to make a killer figure, but the mainline was almost devoid or original characters.

HA Basics don't count as mainline any more than standard HA, by the by. I didn't like the DotM Main line, but I loved the HA Basics (... even though there was roughly a two-week window to get any of them that weren't the first wave) and Cyberverse is AMAZING.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Do we know that Hasbro's to blame for distribution or whether they exert any control? The only thing that I am certain of, is that they control what characters go on each wave, and how they are designed and marketed.

I am not completely defending them, as I find it extremely ******ed to pack 3 bees or 3 OP with other minor yet better designed characters in singles. I guess I didn't really complain much about it because I got a few figures from the line that I love, and I get to save up money for Prime line and 3rd parties.

14. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well sure, if you don't care about movieverse toys then DotM isn't that much of a disappointment. But when you compare it to the RotF and TFTM lines and their sublines, the DotM stuff just doesn't stack up. Like I said I spent a LOT of money on the first two movies, but with DotM there just wasn't a lot to buy that weren't (arguably inferior) versions of characters I already had.

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    True, but it is still the suppliers job to ensure that the product is getting TOO the store. obviously how FAST it gets to the store is the retailers area. but in 2011 we had so many toys that NEVER made it to the shelves that it's no longer believable to lay blame solely on the retailers.

Plus people make the issue of "cut corners" , Personally I don't like Movie toys. but I'll admit that Voyager Megatron was a PHENOMINAL figured. hampered by the fact that he looked like an unpainted proto-type.

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So then how is it Hasbro's fault if the retailers don't ORDER the products that we don't see make it to the shelves? Hasbro can't force Walmart to buy the toys if they don't want them. When that DOES happen, Hasbro does look for other outlets and discount stores so I give them kudos for that. Out of all the figures that were planned for release in a given year, what percentage of them ACTUALLY don't see retail? I don't have a number but its not many. Even Windcharger made it to retail eventually (only RTS Frumble comes to mind). Was he easily accessible to everyone? No, but still not hasbros fault.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

i agree 100%..personally i only got leader sentinel (which i love),top spin,HA roadbuster..and i even cant remember if i got anything else from that line lol..i think that says it all.I just felt like it was a rip off....like hasbro was trying to milk the fans with a ton of bumblebees and ops..and i would be fine with that if they actually were improvements over the originals....which they werent.....not by any stretch of imagination

18. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Didn't you get the memo? Everything is Hasblo's fault. Mainly because it's easier to blame a single company for doing a lousy job than it is to blame multiple companies not ordering in stock because they actually have to line their shelves with other things during the Christmas season, as well as America's changing position on the world stage, and the effects of a national and international recession.

But nope, it's all Hasblo's fault. They don't want our money. It's a conspiracy.

19. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Yeah, forgot about that memo...

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For the most part I think you are correct. But Hasbro does have control over what they put in the waves (though who knows if retailers demanded all the Bumblebees). I think placing somewhat "non-movie" figures such as Skids and Mudflap (though maybe they thought they would be in the movie) early on, as well as repaints and non movie characters infront of figures like Soundwave and Q was a big mistake on their part. I can understand that they wanted to keep Soundwave as somewhat of a surprise, but putting him in Wave 6 is a bit far off. I am really grappling with deciding if I want to pick up some of the Takara versions of the deluxes that have yet to hit the shelves.