Dear god I think I'm becoming racest to asian games.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Apr 20, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I think I'm starting to hate Japanese video games.

I usually play alot of video games that revolve around military combat (land, sea or air). I like to branch off from shooters and simulators into RPGs (2nd favorite) and god games (3rd favorite), but I always see a Japanese game lately and I see this lack of quality. I don't know if Im right or wrong, but I keep seeing some game from Asia and I dont see it fit a quality American games have. This is how I feel, I'm not saying its fact.

Best way I can describe this is I play RPGs for PC (Baulders Gate, Elder Scrolls, Might & Magic) and then I see my brother in law play RPGs on his PS2. I keep seeing these games use sprites and 2D rendered characters that provide almost no control to the player, more of... go here, fight monster, follow story about chosen ones and saving the world, fight monster, win...

I also look at FPS' for asian games and I only see flashy graphics, idiot AI, and circle strafe tactics.

I recall a mecha game called Zone of the Enders (1 and 2) and that was a thrill ride for me, but thats about the only Japanese game I can recall that I've really truely enjoyed.

Any suggestions for other Japanese games I can get a kick out of that'll show I'm not a xenophobe :)  ? I'd rather not aim for old skool games at the moment but more modern titles or upcoming.

NO KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Mostly you're choosing genres that aren't too popular in Japan (aside from RPGs, which they have a totally different philosophy on). If you look at the quality of fighting games or other third-person action games, you'd see a total reversal of where the quality stuff tends to come from. If you can handle a departure from your usual genres, you might take a look at:

The Dead or Alive series (I'm not fond of the series, but a lot of work goes into it)
    Dead Rising
    Devil May Cry 1, 3, and hopefully 4
    Lost Planet
    The Metal Gear Solid series
    Resident Evil 4 (and hopefully 5)
    Silent Hill 3 and 4
    The Soul Calibur series
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

and many more that I'm probably forgetting at the moment.
    But if you're just going to be playing types of games that aren't popular in Japan, why would they bother to make quality titles in those genres? It's also worth noting that a lot of Japanese games tend to focus more on just being fun rather than on realism. Western games may focus more on depth, but often to the point that it becomes cumbersome to players who aren't hardcore about a particular genre. A difference in philosophy like that does not indicate a lack of quality.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you like robots, you can't go wrong with armored core. if you like all the micromanagement of PC RPGs, you'll probably love it. you build your robot from a massive selection of parts, and can tweak all their stats and performance.

4. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Loved:

Devil May Cry 1, 2, 3
    Onimusha 3: Demon Siege

5. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Shin Megami Tensai games are great also, despite the fact most people haven't played them.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I must say that I agree with the first post in this thread. Japanese games have become stale and repetitive. But also, so have Western games. Its only probably a little bit more noticeable in the Japanese games because they absolutely insist in using the exact same art direction for just about everything (Im talking about anime style big eyes and all). Now there are Japanese produced games that break the mold and make a new and original experience that borrows from other genres such as Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus for example. Or something completely different such as Katamari Damacy. But I for one feel that yes, for the most part Japanese games as of late have been extremely uninteresting. There is only so much you can do to make a game fun while adding things such as more micromanagement, longer story, more on screen NPCs, and prettier pictures. And the staleness of it is greatened by Japanese game developers who insist that the same damn formula that has made anime a wasteland of generic crap has to be applied to games too.

Western games are in the same slump. Only replace words like RPG, Button Masher, robot sim, with words like FPS, RTS, third person action, and Grand Theft Auto clones. Every once in awhile something new and innovative that combines genres (Stalker for example) comes out.

But if I had to suggest a recent Japanese game that is innovative and fun, I'll say that Super Paper Mario fits the bill well.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Have you played AC4? I was really looking forward to it and tried the demo on marketplace and enjoyed it. I'm still having trouble getting over the barren battlegrounds. One city part in the demo didn't have a single car along the streets which just takes me out o the game, make it dirty and like it was hastily evacuated please.

All the reviews seem to come from people who have played all the other AC games and see a marginal improvement from game to game, where as I haven't played any of the AC games since 2 and felt the demo was a lot better than any other mech game I've played.

On Topic, I've kind of quit looking forward to a lot of Japanese games (it could be all games though I guess, regardless of region) latley as well. I've almost completley written off Japanese RPG's as I never really feel like I'm actually playing a role and many of them can't hold my attention story or gameplay wise. I'm still a fan of eastern fighters but they're becoming scarce now-a-days. Same with action games and platformers, theres so few and most of them are being made over here now. I also heavily fall into the shooter fan category which is a western developed staple and something Japanese developers either aren't very good at and is something that that their home market has very little demand for (although I did play with a few people from Japan in CoD3 the other day). It could also just be that we are in the summer drought and I'm just not seeing very many must have titles coming any time soon Forza 2 and Spiderman 3 are the only games coming out all summer that I know for sure that I want, I'm not really aware of anything else thats a must have for the near future).

8. DaggersRage

Hmmmmmm Armored Core, I had the 1st one. The title I've considered the most on the list of games listed on here so far is Lost Planet. I just got my 360, it's for the 360, good combo.

My other platform is PC, so much for getting Japanese games for that one, ha!

9. flamepanther

Actually, there are probably at least as many Japanese games for PC as there are for 360. Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Devil May Cry, and Phantasy Star have all made appearances on PC at some point. Resident Evil 4 ans Lost Planet are supposed to be coming to PC in the near future.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there's a demo of AC4 on Xbox live. try it out.

11. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Super Paper Mario

12. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    okami

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I stay far far away from Japanese linear RPGs. I want to roleplay dammit, not play someone else's story, especially when that someone else is a metrosexual girly boy.

Japanese fighting games on the other hand, I mwacks (Soul Calibur in particular). One huge exception is DoA: Good fighting engine, horrible everything else (yes, I find even the girls horrible).

14. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I hate most American RPGs. They always seem so... vanilla to me. Of course, a lot of Japanese RPGs are junk, but there's plenty of great ones out there too (Suikoden V, FFXII, etc.)

15. flamepanther

There are almost no RPGs from either side of the Pacific that really let you role-play. Let's get that clear first. Most of the ones that do are online. "Choose Your Own Adventure" is not real role-play.

The main differences between Eastern and Western RPGs are:

-Western RPGs tend to involve more micromanagement. Some like this, some loathe it. Japanese RPGs are usually simpler. If you hate micromanagement, that's a relief. If you like it, then a simpler game may seem boring.
    -Japanese RPGs tend to be more stylized and over-the-top in story and presentation. People who like that may find Western RPGs drab and uninteresting by comparison. Others appreciate the realism and detail of Western RPGs, and aren't impressed by a more Japanese style.

Totally different and often opposite philosophies on handling what basically boils down to a character-centered strategy game. Neither is wrong or bad. Both philosophies have produced some incredible high quality games that don't really do much for fans of the opposite approach.

16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say that it's more that most Western RPG's tend to be variations of the Dungeon and Dragon's theme, while the Eastern have a bit more flexability. Many aren't very realistic, but I'd disagree that they aren't detailed. Look at Vagrant Story, Tactics, and FFXII. Or Suikoden I-V. They tend to be very detailed.

17. DaggersRage

*shoots FFXII with a .50 cal*

I gave that game a try three times. I -was- very patient with it but when it came to Shina searching for crystals, I lost it. Sorry.

My brother in law has the Silent Hill games, I never got my hands on it, but say I did, which one would probably be best? I've had SL 2 and 3 spoiled to hell and back but even if I know whats going to happen would you guys say it's still a great experience? And as I typed that last bit, I just recalled a Silent Hill coming out for PSP, I might just wait for that.

Right, I forgot to mention I have a PSP too.

18. flamepanther

I didn't mean to imply that Japanese RPGs were undetailed. Rather that Western RPGs usually go for a grittier, and tend to lean towards photorealism. Even when games like the Final Fantasy series lean towards photorealism, it tends to have sort of an "airbrushed" look.

DR: I don't know much about the SH game for PSP. I found SH1 scarier than SH2, but SH2 was a lot more visually impressive. SH3 is scarier than SH2, IMO, and more visually striking. Other people will give you totally different answers, to maybe try a little bit of all three before you decide to commit to one. They're all great. SH4 is totally different from the first three. If you can, try to play SH2-4 on a PC or Xbox. Much better graphics that way.