Dear Alternators & BinalTech,

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Razerwire, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I still miss you dearly.

Please come back.

Putting you guys away in preparation for new carpet installation has reminded me of just how much you rocked my world. I miss that feeling. Please rock my world again.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    If they ever were brought back, they should at least be the size of a deluxe.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, they should be 1/24. alterinity Are too small

4. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I always thought Alternity was going to be that Alt/BTcontinuation, but then that stumbled to a conclusion as well. Never quite hit the mark, either. Perhaps it'll come back; I don't why it seems so hard to get "right", given that it's scale licensed vehicles and dependable original TF characters, but it does.

Dropping the die-cast might help, in terms of design; I know some love it, but perhaps going all plastic (but with proper, and metallic, paintjobs) helps with getting better & more involved transformations & articulation.

Long since got rid of all my BTs (except KP Hot Rod, not selling that), but many of them still look good, even tho the engineering side of it has moved on. You'd think a line like that - such as a reboot of Alternity - could have just enough appeal to justify it, even as an only semi-frequent, niche collector's line.

5. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Awww. Now you just have to find other things to rock your world. I'm sure that won't be too hard. ^__^

6. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

Alternity is smaller than Deluxe class?

7. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't have any BT, but Alternators are what got me hooked on this damned expensive hobby. So many good licensed cars out there that could fit characters that have yet to be represented. I'd love to see that line resurrected.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They were cool at the time, but once Classics came out I found I didn't really need alts anymore. There were some great figures though, I still have a hard on for that Swindle.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I recently snagged a complete Alt. Mirage from another user here on the boards, what an awesome toy. If Alternators is to be remembered for one thing, let it be that it showed just how awesome everybody is if they were all Voyager class sized.

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Come backkkkkkkk!

11. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss them too. I've tried to fill the void with HA toys but its just not the same.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They're about equal to current Deluxe size.

Don't be so sure. There is no real valid substitute in the rest of modern TF. Sometimes, junky-looking, underpainted, shrinking in size mass-release TFs just don't do it. Binaltech (and to a lesser extent, Alternators) are a different beast, and not easily replaced.

I like Binaltech as possibly the most authentic homage to G1 toys imaginable: Absolutely perfect vehicle modes based on actual real-world, licensed cars, made with superior materials like die-cast, rubber tires and chromed wheels... that transform into completely naff robot modes. That is the epitome of G1.

I know that sounds like a slam, but I actually do kind of like the line for that reason.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get the feeling it was extremely hard to get the car companies to sign off on these. I would hope Hasbro made overtures to everybody, but in the end Dodge, Ford and Honda were the only companies that even let them use more than one model. It was a great line, though. Sad that it had to be such a hassle.

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The "hiatus" gone long enough!

C'mon, powers-that-be! There are so many underused molds that it'd be easy money!

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    The Alternators line was really Hasbro and Takara just trying something different. . .
    I wasn't around then, how well did it work? Did Alt's sell?

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    It was pretty much released for a niche market (read: for collectors) and in that market alone, it sold very well.

I'm actually kind of surprised third party companies haven't cornered the market by now.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So Alternators really was a line for the collectors. Like Masterpiece, only it saw Stateside retail.
    Hmm... I think 3rd part items do carry that field on their shoulders now. I think Hasbro and TakTom would be afraid to really release much more directed at that audience when that audience has basically been using their name in vain. Sad, really. Our complaining and our support for third party companies may have backfired on us? Or is that just the skeptic in me showing through...

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    ...Which means that overall, they didn't sell well at all and that the Alternators line is proof positive that the collector fandom is not enough to keep the TF franchise afloat by themselves.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The closest a third party got to ALT/BT would probably be the Road Bots but after owning one, they still fall short design, engineering and execution-wise. They did manage to get licensing although it's hard to say if they did or they just say they did.

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I'm not saying that 3rd party made products like Alts... but that they make products aimed at the same market Alts were. Collectors. The Niche market as you put it. Hasbro got competition from that...