Dealing with repaints.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DilaZirK, Oct 8, 2007.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    ----------

I've been at odds with myself ever since setting eyes on Movie Leader Class Megatron. While I personally think he looks good, he could definitely be better.

So I've been waiting ever since his release for news or rumours of perhaps an upcoming superior repaint. So far I believe, only Voyager Megs got the metallic repaint treatment. By that time, Leader Class Megatron was long gone from the shelves here in Malaysia, available only in some hobby shops or the local eBay at scalper prices.

Fast forward a few weeks to my trip to the UK, I chanced upon Leader Megs at local retail outlets. Though his retail price in the UK is not much different from scalper prices in Malaysia, it was still retail, and I was growing very much impatient for news of restocks or repaints. So I caved in and bought him, thinking I could live with the consequences.

After a few modifications (removing the translucent wings most notably), I was overall quite pleased with Leader Megs. But the thought of a possible superior repaint still makes me uneasy.

I do not want to have to favour one toy over another just because that same mold has a better repaint over the other. It'd make my previous purchase feel like a mighty waste.

Heck, I still have some slight reservations about having more than one of the same character in my room, different mold or not.

----------

So my question is: How do you deal with repaints?

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't.

If they come out reasonably close to eachother, I'd pick the better looking paintjob for the molds I like. For example, I'm getting nightwatch leader prime instead of the regular one, because I like the color scheme better. As far as megs tho, I hate all of the molds(leader would be better with a decent paintjob) so I wont be getting any of them.

There is that metallic voyager megs repaint, but I really doubt there's going to be any others.

Edit: I do have mp-03, mp-06, and I'll be getting the G1 mp SS, but they're the original jets and mp's, so they're kind of a special case.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It depends on the repaint and the price. For instance, I caved and bought MP3 Starscream when I read the rumors of an anime repaint were proven false... then Hasbro went and announced their version. That one I took on the chin pretty hard but with something like that you have to appreciate it for what it is and not just see where it could be better or what faults it has compared to a repaint.

For Leader Megatron, I dont think we have to worry about a repaint in the first place, considering Leader Brawl got picked to be repainted first and 5 leader figures is a lot already, especially for a line due to end early next year for Animated. If a metallic Leader Megatron was due, it would have been seen by now.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would skip the reapint dep[ending on size if it's like a DLX or Voyager i would buy but Leader Classes i'd skip except for Cybertron Galvatron,Hey $50.00 is a good priced?

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if it looks better than/improves the original, get it. sell the older one.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Unless they are unbelievably good, I leave them on the shelf.

7. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it is precisely this scenario that I dread. But I suppose you're right in that one should not look at bad side of things.

Admittedly though, I'm a very pessimistic individual.

Well, that's a relief. :) 

...I think I get what you mean.

Yeah, I thought of that... But do people buy loose figures that willingly?

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I have to echo some of the points made by the forumers here. It actually depends if what type of repaint or HOW good the quality of the repaint eventually. Take Voyager TFTM07 Op for example. I had the regular version, but when the Robo-vision version came out, I was torn whether to get that one too. I finally caved in and got it and to be truthful, I did not regret it one bit. Albeit it is the same toy but the paint quality kinda makes it up for it.

Another good example would be Cybertron First Aid repainted to Decepticon Cannonball. Same mold, same TF but it was the repaint work that sealed the deal for me. That purple and Ah Beng deco (sorry, a Malaysian term) was too good to pass up.

Yup, you guessed it, I am a bit shallow when it comes to repaint. As long as it looks nicer, I'll go for it. What will I do with the original toy? One word - Kitbash. :D 

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Leader Megs is the perfect opportunity to get into painting.

10. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I hate repaints. With a passion.

That said...if Hasbro kept repainting the '08 Concept Camaro Bumblebee and releasing them as "new characters", I'd buy them all. That robot mode is just too sexy.

(Of course, if they gave the repaints new heads as well, that'd be even cooler...)

11. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mind repaints if it takes a mold and makes it look better than it ever did before, like say RiD Skybite compared to BW TM2 Cybershark, but when it's just a repaint for the sake of filling the shelves, like the tons of Powerlinx repaints in Armada or whatever, it kind of annoys me. I'll usually buy them though, just for the sake of having all the damn things. Plastic crack's a hell of a drug

The current most annoying repaint to me is Classics Bumblebee into Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper needed to be at LEAST a remold if not an entirely new one, I totally hate that he has to just be a Bumblebee clone.

12. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Id be much more happy with it if they just gave him a new head sculpt with bb's body.

Off topic... I have an friend and his uncle is the one and only science guy lol..

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't mind repaints at all. I understand that they are needed to help pay for all the new mold that get made. As for Leader Megs, I'm not all that interested in the mold in the first place, and I doubt that we'll be seeing a repaint of that mold, since there are going to be a total of 5 Leader class figures in the line, including repaints, which would be about average for a TF toy line.

14. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Skip them unless I don't have the original or like the color better (only repaints I have are RiD Super Car Brothers[?], RiD Galvatron and DVD MP Prime if that shit counts)

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on the mold and the paint job. for the most part, I don't get repaints. But I have all the Alt repaints, most repaints of the TF dragon molds, and just got Movie Armorhide. However, I'm passing on most fo the other movie repaints, and left the latter half of Cybertron, Energon, and Armada on the shelf for the most part. As I'm not too impressed with Megs, the chances of me shelling out $40 for a metallic paint job are slim to nil. Same with the Nightwatch Op.

-Tony!