Heavy/Scratch: Deadpool Marvel Crossover

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SC0RP0N0K, Dec 5, 2009.

1. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Ok, time to start my first attempt at a "hardcore" (at least for me) custom. I will probably request a lot of help from anyone willing to offer advice since I've never used some of the materials and other items I'll be using in this custom.

Down to brass tacks though, I just bought a Marvel Crossover Spider-Man and realized that without the webbing lines and paint color he would make a pretty cool looking Deadpool, plus I think Deadpool would approve of turning into a motorcycle. I will have to figure out a way to resculpt the hands since Marvel made him do the "I love you" symbol on both hands. I thought about trying articulated hands but I don't think I'm that advanced yet. The hardest part will probably be sculpting all the pouches Deadpool has. lol

As for weapons, I'm going to take a look at the larger sized Snake-Eyes or Stormshadows for a proper sized set of katanas that I will probably attach with magnets while in vehicle mode.

If anyone has any ideas or ways to do certain things please feel free to let me know. =)

Attached Files:

2. overbeast.inc

overbeast.inc Well-Known Member

thats a pretty cool idea, cant wait to see the results

3. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Can't wait to see it finished!

4. SC0RP0N0K

Thanks guys!

All I can say so far is I HATE this super sculpty shit! lol

5. SC0RP0N0K

Just a quick update. I got the sculpty stuff on one leg and the head. Hopefully it will be sandable once it's fully dried. Anyways, here's some pics.

Attached Files:

6. Corgsopal

Corgsopal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry, but I need to correct you on something. Deadpool would only approve of being a motorcycle if Bea Arthur was his pretender shell. I was going to say headmaster, but that has...implications.

Seriously though, good idea, can't wait to see more.

7. SC0RP0N0K

lmao, I would say you were more correct about the headmaster idea, but I digress.

I got the chest, windshield, and front tire layered with that sculpty crap, I can't stress how much that stuff sucks to work with (at least to me since I've never used it before). I was excited that I might have it all done tonight until I realized I still had both arms and a leg to finish. Before I do all the rest I'm gonna try to sand the sculpt material I bought just to smooth out the imperfections and make sure I'm using the right stuff.

To anyone who has a lot of experience with putty could give me some times I'd be really grateful. I'm going to re-check the tutorials again, but if someone could just pm me or post here it would be great. =)

8. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

What kind of sculpting material are you working with Scorponok? I used to use this Mighty Putty stuff but it dried very weak and it was terrible to work with. Since then, I've switched to Epoxy Sclupt. I love it because it dries very hard and it's much easier to work with.

I also use dental tools when I work with putty as well. It helps in flattening and molding the pieces into tight corners and such.

9. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    As I mentioned in the other thread (and I don't feel like jumping back to it now, lol), I use Tamiya 'Basic' type epoxy putty.

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/ITAMP/ITAMP-17.jpg

It's on the bottom row, third from the left with an orange cap.

Cheers! Oh, and I can't wait to see this guy done. :) 

- Alty

10. SC0RP0N0K

Sorry, I have to take a small break from working on this guy since I got sick yesterday. I think the stuff I'm using is called Papersculpt or something like that. It's pretty thick and sticks well. It was the only stuff I could find at Michaels.

11. SC0RP0N0K

Well, major setback today. I went to sand the sculpting stuff and it just pealed right off. It's strange, it hardened fine, and looked solid but it just won't stick to the plastic. Is there any kind of prep you use before putting the sculpting stuff on like sanding the figure or priming it with something? I'll be in a town with craft stores Friday so I will look around for some better sculpt stuff too.

On a side note...can anyone tell me the hand size of a Bionicle figure? I'm wondering if I could use one of those for the hands. Thanks. =)

On a side note I just called a HobbyTown USA in Tallahassee and they had the Tamiya distributor there and he said they discontinued their basic epoxy sculpt. =(

12. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

do yourself a favor, order some FixIt sculpt. It is seriously the most insanely awesome stuff known to mankind. It works like the smoothest clay (with a little water) has a looooong work time (4 hours) and hardens like steel, while somehow remaining fully sandable, workable, and carve-able once dry. It's cheap, you get a lot more than you think you do, and its from a small business with cute girls as receptionists. I can't rant and rave any more about it. It's welded to paper and plastic alike.

The only other thing I could say is sand your piece down with rough (40-60 grit) sandpaper to rough up the plastic. This gives it grooves for the sculpting compound to stick in. It's commonly referred to as "scoring" your piece.

I really like the idea though, I cant wait to see how it looks.

13. SC0RP0N0K

Thanks for the tip man. I'll see what I can do. My only problem is ordering things online since I don't have a credit card or ATM card cause those only lead to trouble. I was raised old school where if you don't have the cash then you just don't buy it.

As for the project though, I will be going back to the big city on Friday to pick up my girl and so I'll check all the hobby stores for whatever I can find. In the mean time I will work on scuffing up Spidey. =)

I want to really do this right since it will be my first heavy custom and since I plan to put it up for sale once it's done.

14. SC0RP0N0K

I think I'm back on track now. I found some stuff at Lowes called Loctite 5 minute Epoxy Putty that so far works really well and is pretty easy to put on and sand. Hopefully I'll have all the parts covered and ready for paint by the end of the week. =)

15. SC0RP0N0K

Something just occurred to me and I wanted to see what you guys think. Since I just want to cover up the "webbing" what if I just used a hot glue gun to go over the web lines? The only problem I can think of would be painting. What do you think?

16. Quantum_Anomaly

Get a prepaid Visa card. You can put the 20 bucks you'll need on it, use it to order online, and poof! You're set. Your bank or I think even a local Wal-Mart may be able to help you there. They also might accept money orders, I don't remember. If you like doing custom work and want to continue doing mods, I suggest it.

Don't hot glue it. You're right in the fact that painting will be painful, mistakes wont sand away well, and in general it's going to make things frustrating for you in the long run. I suggest sanding it all down and then building back up with epoxy. This will even give you the opportunity to build your skills on getting the muscle tone "cut" in a little better, if you pardon my pun ;) 

17. SC0RP0N0K

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I thought I'd give it a shot. The Loctite Epoxy Putty seems to work really well but it goes on pretty thick so I'm gonna have to get my Dremel out tomorrow and sand down the head so it can fit during transformation.

Thanks for the quick response though. Thanks to everyone who has replied so far I feel like I've learned so much already. lol

18. landbasered

landbasered Well-Known Member

hey, its deadpool.

Only suggestion, needs more daka.

Like, say, deluxe swindles gun if you can find it.

19. SC0RP0N0K

What is daka?

I plan to give him dual katanas, at least one small machine gun, and maybe a "unique" weapon. =)

20. Quantum_Anomaly

More Dakka - Television Tropes & Idioms

You can never have enough Dakka!

Tv Tropes. It's like wikipedia, but a lot easier to waste time on...

And NP on quick responses and help. It's always great to see more people scratch-building!