Deadly tornado hits Tuscaloosa and Brimingham Al

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firetruckprime, Apr 27, 2011.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    JB..Both vids are overwhelming..in the first one my mouth flew open when the "arm of wind" wrapped around and just scooped everything up. I've seen tons of tornado footage but nothing like that one. Thanks for sharing these with us. :cry 

in the 2nd one..that guy was just :crazy: , but awesome footage..he got a cracked windshield for his trouble and that was the lucky part, it could've ended much worse for him.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Wow that footage was so scary. That poor idot he is either very brave or very dumb.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Very dumb. But it's crazy how you can see the tornado picking everything up...

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know which is worse, being in the middle of that or sitting through a hurricane.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I would say both are pretty much terrifying to be in the middle of.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

In 1990 a tornado dropped a tree on the house we rented in Alberta City.

An old neighbor sent me this pic earlier today. Apparently it happened again.
    [​IMG]

Yeah that video is insane. It was insane when I posted it a few days ago in this thread ;) 

7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    tornados are worse IMO because they appear and dissappear within minutes, and I believe the winds are typically stronger.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember Camille in 1969 when I was little. It hit Mississippi, but we lost power. We had Corn Flakes for dinner.

I've been through Frederic in 1979, Helena in 1985, Erin and Opal in 1995, Ivan in 2004 and Dennis in 2005.

Ivan was the worse one. It can be scary being inside your house with no power and listening to the wind howling.

9. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Yes, I took the pic first thing after exiting the shelter...the video I shot was prior to it hitting the house. My girlfriend and I have been staying in a tent since the tornado hit, though we stayed at the Arab Rec Center last night since the low temps were cold and damp. I filed a FEMA claim, the only thing besides my personal belongings I own is my car, my auto insurance company (Progressive) pretty much said "tough shit" since I only had basic liability...so hopefully I can get some FEMA money to fix the car.

Honestly, I would've liked to have gotten a better video...if I had stayed in the spot where I took my short clip, I would have been safe and a few hundred yards from the tornado...but I had family at home and pets, I knew for certain it would hit the house so their safety was more important than shooting the video of the lifetime, as a storm chaser I'll have more chances to get great tornado footage but I cannot replace family or my pets.

It's like comparing Apples and Oranges. A tornado is more destructive, but is also typically more isolated. The fastest wind speed ever clocked on this planet at ground level was in an F-5 tornado, winds registering well over 300 mph. However Hurricanes/Typhoons tend to cause a wider swath of damage, ranging from wind damage to flooding storm surges. I've been through both several times over and neither is for the faint of heart.