Deadly Genesis vs. X-Men 177

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SubotaiBaghatur, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I picked up Deadly genesis as an afterthought today and it turned out to be pretty good. Stronger than usual dialogue, sticks to the main characters, really grabbed my attention with images like the giant stone hand holding the ship.

Meanwhile, over in X-Men 177 the Decimation tie-in reads like a children's book. Is milligan the worst X writer in recent history? This book reads like something written by a junior high student. A straightforward fight with sentinels with absolutely nothing interesting occuring and perhaps the flattest dialogue in all of marveldom.

I see potential in this whole house of M and decimation story arc, but with people like milligan at the helm, this turkey's going to end up half baked.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Milligan is nowhere near as bad as Austen. Austen was hands down the worst X-Men writer ever. The Draco, man. The Draco.

And I, for one, actually considered this issue to be one of Milligan's strongest so far. Decimation is what the X-Books needed to get some kind of direction going, and I think Milligan is up to the task of handling the post-HoM world.

Haven't read Deadly Genesis yet.

3. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will give you the Draco against Austen, but I actually enjoyed lots of his run - especially the earlier issues setting up the new version of the team, bringing back Havok, introducing Northstar - v underused in UXM - and Juggernaut as a hero. The idea of mising things up with Havok romance wise was quite a good one and I was reading the comic wanting them to get shot of Polaris who doesn't seem to be in possession of a complete set of marbles anymore.

What he did to Nightcrawler was awful though.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    No, I gotta disagree. Annie the Nympho Nurse was one of Austen's worst offenses. Crazy Nympho Lorna was a horrible idea, too.

Really, Chuck, not all women are perpetually horny.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

And so the dreams of a million Comic Nerds come crashing down...

*salutes*

6. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back more towards the topic. It'll be next week before I can get to these at my comic shop in London so I won't be able to express an opinion till then. However I'm starting to feel that maybe Milligan isn't quite right for X-Men so I wouldn't be surprised if I agree with you.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    What did he do to Nightcrawler?

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I enjoyed Austen's run. I actually went back and got the whole thing after he took over New X-Men. Milligan however sucks. I picked 177 up HOPING it wouldn't suck. I dropped X-Men after Milligan's first arc and needed to know what's up with the Sentinels. This was terrible! However I now need to get the next isue to see who that chick in the Jason mask is, who the Sentinels are, and see the X-Men boot Lorna when they find she has no powers.

I hav ea theory the energy missing from the mutants has relocated in the Sentinels making them sentinent.

9. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

I'm pretty sure the sentinels are piloted by people, and the whole energy displacement thing has nothing to do with them. I could be wrong though.

I too dropped the book after Milligan came on, though after his second story. He's not really a bad writer, his comics are good, but the endings to his arcs are horribly stupid. I'm trying to get "The M. Night. Shyamalan of comics" to catch on as his nickname. Still in all, he's a hundred times better than Austen was.

Back on topic though, I'm looking forward to the next issue mainly to see what's going on with the sentinels, and hopefully explain how the sentinels are down to only one by the time of Deadly Genesis. I'm also looking forward in all the books to seeing how the teams get re-arranged to accomodate for the loss of powers to some of their core members.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I still think Milligan is worse than Austen. In general, Milligan was untouchable as X-Statix writer. But everything else is crap. He did that Venom/Carnage story and did absolutely no research on the history of these characters interaction. The story was overall mediocre. X-Men was a lot of talking and nothing going on, similar t oan episode of Drag-on-ball Zzzzzzz,

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Not a fan of Milligan's Uncanny run at all.

Austen's was great though. Anyone with the balls to put Angel in a leadership position is a-ok by me.

12. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    X-Men 177 This is the first issue Milligan's written that I've felt has really worked. Decent book - I'd not thought about a mutant trying to cover up that they'd lost their powers as a consequence of what happened.

X-Men Deadly Genesis 1: Oooh, Mystery. Good stuff. Lots of setup, but it works well and peaks your interest for the next issue.