Dead Universe Guys Shoe-horned Into ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Aug 26, 2009.

1. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    I was thinking about Bludgeon, Drift, and Lockdown being sort of Classic/Universe Movie-styled figures and who else Hasbro could squeeze into the ROTF line-up.

Then it hit me: The IDW Dead Universe guys.

Nemesis Prime could easily pass the requirements along with Grindcore. Jhiaxus is pretty much Movie-inspired right out the gate and I think Straxus could work if given his Marvel Comics face. I don't know about Cyclonus, Galvatron, or Scourge, though. I guess I just want those last two as decent updates that aren't tiny and pieces of crap.

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Lockdown is form Animated not G1.

3. Blasterpwns

Blasterpwns Regretting my username...

True the Rotf toy is inspired by the Animated toy, but Lockdown was a little known character in g1.

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

He is? I checked the TFwiki. It just says he's in Animated and ROTF.

5. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    I never said Lockdown was G1, just that he, like Bludgeon and Drift, is a character from another series being redesigned into the Movie aesthetic. Who says ONLY GEEWUN guys should be represented in ROTF form? Armada Blurr could be redesigned and thrown in there,too, and would look insanely awesome.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No thanks. I'd be open to producing fanwank for IDW comics once every other option has been covered.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hold on...Drift is getting a movie toy? When was THAT announced?

Also, G1 characters aren't exclusive to the hybrid classics/movie toys. Movie Scattorshot seems to be based off the cybertron version of the name use, not the Technobot.

But there is a "Dead Universe" character getting a toy: Hardhead. He's getting that bad-ass WM exclusive redeco of Ultra Onslaught.

8. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Wasn't there a design sketch shown at the BotCon Hasbro panel? Pretty sure there may have been. It'd be deliciously ironic that Drift would be released in THE MOVIE toyline and possibly with a MOVIE DESIGN.

And there you go. Homages to Cybertron and Animated in ROTF toys. THIS is what I'd like to see more of instead of the tired belief that only G1 is important.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hardhead without a nose or a mouth. Onslaught looks too much like Onslaught to be anyone else, groovy anti-Decepticon logo aside. I'd have prefered that mold repainted to look like Mega-Octane or Snaptrap.

Such as what, exactly? The Dead Universe guys could fit into the ROTF line perfectly and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than "Movie-style Wheeljack" or "Movie-style Grimlock", or "Movie-style Some 1984-86 Character".

Hey,then you won't have to worry about Shitty IDW things in the precious Classics/Universe 3.0 when/if it comes back. Because face it, for now, any new update toys will be designed with the Movie in mind, even if they're intended to act as substitutes to a Classic figure.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Drift being in the movie line until you mentioned him in your post (and I looked him up in the resources, he's there, but there's no pics). Although if they can delive with a toy that looks like IDW's creation (I admit, he's so bad-ass looking to my eyes), I'd snap him up ASAP.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

BLASPHEMER! How dare you suggest anything could be more interesting than the original characters!

Besides, Bludgeon looks like a Universe figure to me.

11. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:

I ought to be burned at the stake for preferring Siren or Backstreet to Windcharger! :) 

And he does look like a Universe figure... with kibble and spindly legs seen on lots of Movie figures. Column A and Column B, i'd say.

And I just thought the IDW Dead Universe guys would be perfect fits, since they're A) Not original Fan-favorites but cool-looking. B) They could be given Movie-looks like Bludgeon without any fan outcry. And C) They could also fit into Classic displays.

and D) They probably wouldn't get toys anywhere else.

12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

ROTF Bludgeon definitely resembles the Stormbringer version.

I think Universe Onslaught/Hardhead would be cool repainted as Dead Universe Grindcore.

With new heads, Movie Detour/Dead End would make a nice Drift/Nightbeat or Movie Breakaway would make a nice Jhiaxus.

The Decepticons from the Cliffjumper Spotlight and Turmoil and co. from the Drift Spotlight would make great toys in any line.

In Cliffjumper on page 11, panel 1 the Decepticon on the right reminds me of Meantime, at least in the head.

The lead Decepticon reminds me of an Armada Seeker.

On page 20, panel 1, the last Decepticon from the ship reminds me of the Realgear Xbox controller/gorilla.

13. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want Don Figueroa's Nemesis Prime as a toy certainly. Hell, I want every EJ Su, Nick Roche, Alex Milne or Guido Guidi G1 redesign as a figure because they've treaded the line between G1 and live-action aesthetics very well.