Dead Nation: The Return of PS1 PHO-KING Awesome Cinematics!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Great commercial for a fairly pedestrian looking game. I love me some zombie games, but it kinda just looks like Zombie Apocalypse.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that looks kinda cool is the lighting. It looks a little more high end, but I hope those cheesy cinematics are part of the game.

"Wait! Don't Go!!"

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Eh, it looks like a dual stick zombie shooter in enclosed environments. There's a reason games like this only show a few seconds of gameplay in these commercials and it's mainly because it's the same as already available games, even if it's a bit better rendered.

Unless this game offers some genuine exploring, there's little reason for me to get it. Give the gameplay some purpose, like Point A to Point B, find the escape, get to the chopper, and I might be interested. But it looks like a simple kill x number of zombies in x amount of time.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, every other game in the Apple App Store is a dual stick shooter. 3/4ths of those involve Zombies, lol

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And honestly, downloadable games have really evolved past the copy/paste mentality that this is showing. Games like Shatter, Critter Crunch, Joe Danger, and nearly anything by Pixeljunk, are taking established genre's and turning them on their head in excellent ways.

If you're gonna make a zombie shooter, you better be prepared to do something interesting with it, and this just doesn't appear to.

EDIT:
    What really bothers me is that the dual stick shooter has sooooo much room for innovation and no one is doing it. I really wish I knew someone working on these games to share ideas with.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pixel Junk Shooter stands out as one of my favorite. I almost dismissed it as another Gravity Crash (which was fun in its own way) and realized it was almost an adventure/puzzle game.

edit:

This guy got a response from the Dev:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If they are truly going for campaigns, then I'll change my tune if and when that info is revealed.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, "campaign" could simply mean that they consider walking from point A to Point B to pick up a gas tank to them, while we might be thinking something more grand.

10. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So did anyone else take the plunge this week? Was playing it last night, it's not bad. When I saw the way they were integratign leader boards, and that missions were campaign based, I decided to give it a shot. My only gripe, is the same gripe I have for a lot of top/down shooters...they make me press a button to fire. I absolutely despise that. If one stick is controlling my direction, then that stick should also fire the weapon in that direction.

Other than that, it's very enjoyable. Graphics are fantastic, but too far pulled out to fully appreciate them. Environments are large, and filled to the brim with the undead. Easily the best zombie shooter since Burn Zombie, Burn.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess the one reason why this game forces button-pressing for shooting is because you are limited in some ammo, but you use your flashlight a lot to see what's lurking in the dark, so this makes you able to look around while not wasting ammo everywhere you turn.

I picked this up too, so if you want to go coop, let me know. I'll be outta town until Tuesday (so no new Prime episodes until next week :(  ), but I'm always up for some coop.

It's a shame that the live-action opening that I thought would be old-school cheesiness was actually pretty decent, lol

edit: I love the real-time leaderboards. We're kicking Smang's World's butt!

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Click the right thumbstick to start firing, click again to stop. Problem solved. :)  I'd love to do coop, but my net connection is so damn slow (1.5 mbps) that it might be a really frustrating experience.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, we can still try. See how it handles it. Action wise, it's an intense game, but I'm not sure if it's that demanding on the bandwith.

I beefed up my original weapon before any of the other guns. Since it outlasts the other ones, I wanted it to be the best gun I have. It also has the cool concentrated shot which goes through them and hits the ones behind them.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, the standard rifle is so powerful, as you upgrade it, that it doesn't make sense to waste coin on the other weapons right away.