Dead Nation and Seizures

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Insane Galvatron, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So I downloaded Dead Nation as part of the "we're sorry the PSN was down" thing. I loved Zombie games so it was my first choice of available downloads. I played it for the first time last night. Now it had a big ole' seizure warning at the beginning, but I've never had a seizure or anything seizure related so I didn't give it a second thought. Next up was a screen saying the best enjoyment of the game would be had if I adjusted my screen to the settings i laid out. I should see 18 squares. Even though my screen had been adjusted according to the THX thing on my T2 DVD, I switched it to the "gaming" preset and I could see the 18 squares.

As I was playing the game, I noticed I was getting a headache. Kinda like what I get if go too long without caffeine. However, I had drank a Dr Pepper not an hour before. I wanted to quit, but was trying to get to the next checkpoint so I wouldn't loose ground. The longer I played, the more my head hurt. The more it hurt, the less I concentrated on the game and the quicker I died. I finally just gave up on reaching the next checkpoint because my head was splitting. I thought I'd take some Tylenol and go to bed. Thing is, within 5 minutes of turning off the game, the headache was completely gone.

Do you think it was whatever the seizure warning was about? Or possibly from straining to see stuff on the screen? If you've never played the game, it's at night with no streetlights. You can only see what's in front of your player cause they shine a flashlight. So you're trying to see stuff in the dark from a high overhead view. So I could see that being the issue. It's just weird because I've seen that warning on games before, but I've never gotten so much as brainfreeze from a game. I've never had a seizure in my life, so it's weird.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Try turning the brightness up.

3. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    In other words, you think it was just eye strain and not "flashing seizure causing lights"?

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

If you're not prone to siezures, i'd say its the brightness too

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

If you weren't flopping around on the ground/in your chair/whatever and foaming at the mouth, in addition to that headache, then yeah, eye strain.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember I had a similar experience playing NFL2K on the Dreamcast.
    It happened once and then never again.

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yeah, I knew I wasn't having a seizure. I was just wondering if the aspect of the game that causes seizures was causing my headache. If it was, would I have had a seizure if I'd kept playing? I really don't want to find out.

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    It's unlikely that it would've led to a seizure.
    Just play in a well lit area and turn the game's brightness up.