Heavy/Scratch: Deaculpastator (a non-Unicron Production) WiP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by deaculpa, Jun 20, 2010.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    8.20 -Preview of Long Hauls Altmode, with trailer. there's going to be more to it, it will be able to be a standalone unit which will be able to mount Devy's forearm drills on the front, and of course the crane can be replaced with weaponry. everything attaches magnetically.

push it! paint looked a whole lot better before i took hi-res pics, i can see a lot of touch up that needs to be done now. anyway, mixmaster, still a WiP.

good news and bad news. good news first? ok.

I was just offered a promotion in my company's home office, which i accepted. This means i'll be relocating to Connecticut from Iowa around 9.10.
    The bad news? The cost of living there is ridiculous, although the company is handling the move. Ill have roommates for anywhere from 3- 6 months while i stack cash til im comfortable, and look around for a place for me and the girl. during that period, i wont have anywhere to work on my customs and everything will be on standstill, or very slow motion at best. Ive been painting over the last month, very slowly, but im gonna try to crank this guy out before i head out. no weekends, the girl wants em all.

so its on.

support customizers, give me a push.

7.13 bigfoot photo of devys forearms forming the lower half of long haul's legs. in the photot below the forearms arent screwed together so theres a little crack in them down the front. i just noticed i have them on the wrong legs, the wheels would face outward.

i wasn't planning on sharing how I would incorporate the gestalt parts, but i'd like feedback on whether i should do this thing with long haul or not.
    really, the gestalt form was the focus, but im having fun with the bots and trying to incorporate the devy parts into the other alt/bot modes. so this is one of the things i had cooking, kind of a power-up Long Haul. i wasnt planning on using dev's hands there but...lol.. think i kinda like it.
    i will totally KICK you with these bigass hands.
    or i could just go back to the regular, conventional long haul. thoughts?

7.12 - found a pretty much mint Primus for $30 locally, the hands looked like they might fit so i went ahead and got it and went to work. theyre wider than i planned for so a lot of modding is happening, still not done there. need to add a cover to the place where the hands connect. also partially modded the connectors with some gundam parts so he has actual elbows, they also sort of "lock" into the arms. wouldnt normally update the thread this often but i've had requests.

7.9 - mixmas-star - finally buckled down and knocked this guy out last night using the scotscream tutorial, wont have any time this weekend, doing the gf thing. yes, his face is still taped off, he is not a mummy. ill try to post the altmode later tonight but no promises! still considering adding the gun barrells next to his head but im okay with him this way.

7.4 - small preview of hook, not the conventional approach.

I needed a break from my Abominus Project, so.....

I have some changes coming for Long Haul and Hook, two characters I always felt got the short end in the original Pitvistator and subsequent models.
    The head is a special commission which Im excited about, and the hand choice is still in the air, although I have ideas. I think i have some unique ideas for colors as well, I'm going for an anime/G1 look.
    some pieces are missing in this photo because theyre drying (crane/bulldozer front)

I've done a lot of firsts here, including Future Finish and styrene work. This is my second paintjob, but I think I have the hang of it. Sorta.

Criticism encouraged. Thanks to Rainchange/Yinothing for the idea, and special thanks to Megan who has graciously allowed me two weekends to work on this :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    what are the parts between the end of longhauls feet and the top of mixmaster and scrapper?

looks great similar to mine actually

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

This is looking great. Always nice to see a break from the norm. Looking forward to more.

4. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I believe those are actually the backs of the tank drones from the Energon Bruticus maximus mold.

5. farrizlle

farrizlle Well-Known Member

wow, this does look great. i like how you changed up the waist and thighs and not used Unicron. seeing Unicron parts painted on Devastator throw off the illusion. yours looks very uniform. awesome work.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow... you should make a tutorial of your version of devy... I like this more than the utilization of the Unicron parts.

7. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    thank you, that honestly means a lot coming from a basher of your skill. your stuff is off the hinges, bruh.

Indeed they are.

thanks, ive got a few surprises left to show on the individual figs, although the gestault mode was the focus of the project :)  thanks for looking and the kind comments.

a million thanks. if it continues to get a warm reception and there's interest, I could make a tutorial for the boards --- everything i know i learned here so im happy to give back.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work, Dave! I'd definitely love to see a tutorial on this also. I've had a Devastator of my own planned for a good 2 years now, just haven't done much with it, other than some mock-ups and ideas. Two questions......how tall is he? (as in, could you show a comparison shot with another figure?).....and when can you email me the tutorial? :)  (feel free to post it over at S70 also, my friend).

Can't wait to see that Devy head, I'm hoping it will be killer! ;) 

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Hey bud, thanks! i shot you an email about the tutorial, would probably take some time, but i can probably take a photo or two tonight to show a size comparison. and yeah, that head is going to be off the hinges, but i cant tell you who's doing it ! :)  top secret!

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you make a tutorial, it'd be a pleasure to resource it :) 

This looks really cool, man :thumb 

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Just wow... you never slow down, do you? Amazing stuff!

Loving the proportions on this Devastator. They look familiar, but I'm having trouble placing the "forearms"... whose legs are they?

zmog

12. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    aww, cmon, Zmog! Those are from Universe Inferno (i bet youre kicking yourself now that you know). They will also combine together to make a convoy for Longhaul, as well as his legs, and also function as a standalone drill/excavation unit which will house a bunch of the extra devy parts. thanks for looking!

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah... feelin' dumb now. :D 

I like that all the extra bits will be integrated into the final product. I've been grappling with the engineering side of that myself lately, since I have a Devastator project sitting on the metaphorical bench right now.

zmog

14. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

This looks really cool. cant wait to see it finished.

15. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is getting my fire burning again! My Dev project has been in a storage bin for the last two months :(  so many things turning my life into a whirlwind lately.

I live the fact that this will combine the kibble/combiner parts into a trailer for Long Haul. That is truly a challenge! My one and only crit/question: it seems the waist/hip balljoints are way too tiny to hold up all of that massive upper body without quicky wearing out. How is the stability so far?

Looking good, can't wait to see more.

16. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Thanks! You have a good eye and, yes, stability was an issue at first. See the solution here. Thanks!

17. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    hope you dont mind i am borrowing your hip ball joint solutions since mine has the same hips. looking forward to seeing the hands and head though

cant wait to see how it all turns out

18. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    of course not, homie. everything i know i learned from these boards so Im more than happy to give back, as long as Im qualified to do so, lol. thanks!

19. kaizoku

kaizoku New Member

sound interesting. cant wait to see the finish product. hightower is using which transformers? cant tell from the pic.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Oh cool, looks like you've gotten quite a bit done since your last PM. Everything's looking good so far. Great job. Hope you find good hands for the figure.