DC's Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest Covers Revealed

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Source: Newsarama
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Power Girl with that Superman-like symbol looks weird. I'm not saying she should always have the hole in the costume, but that particular symbol just looks odd. I'm really liking that Superman though. That should have been regular Superman's new costume.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Wow, that Power Girl costume is terrible. I agree it doesn't always need to be a window, but it's just rotten.

4. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

The hell? All PG needed was for the boob window to be eliminated. That's it. This design sucks.

I hate that Superman design too.

5. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

...Yeah I'm betting she'll get an eventual costume redesign just like Wonder Woman did

6. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

WTF is with Power Girls costume? Terrible. I dont mind loosing the window, since it was mostly a joke now, but the costume itself was fine. This new look? Lets just say I cant wait for the next multiverse threatening conflict where they try and fix some this shit that didnt need "updating" Seriously DC?

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    PeeGee's new costume is too bland. Personally, I'd give her back the full sleeves and lose the legs, more like the classic costume. It would take away some of that white and improve the general look. It's a Power Girl/Huntress book, though, so she could be wearing a burlap sack and clown shoes and I'd still be super hyped.

Earth-2's cover intrigues me. It looks more like a continuation of Robinson's woefully underrated JLA run than the Justice Society. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Wally West turns up, too.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I agree with you about Power Girl. They need to bring back Power Girl's boob window. Also, the Huntress should have a belly window and a legless costume like her main DC universe counterpart. Because their costumes aren't sexy enough.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wow, I really like the Earth 2 design on Superman, much sleeker than his current "armored" look. Also, is it just me, or his Powergirl's older outfit as seen in that image much better?

I'm also kind of disappointed, that Earth 2, which has long stood for DC's Golden Age, an era known for its simpler times, is now going to be more Grim n Gritty like everything else? Just sad.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually that's pretty much an old costume the Huntress had before the Jim Lee revamp now mixed with the Jim lee version.
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/028/8/f/the_huntress_from_batman_by_boybluesdcu-d38a4i4.jpg

PG really only needed to loose the chest window, other than that there wasn't anything really objectionable about her costume, it was a classic and looked good.

Still it could have been much worse
    Previous redesigns
    http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8300000/Power-Girl-costumes-dc-comics-8306224-827-340.jpg

Eventually they will change it back to a more classic look....they always do.

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

I am sick of grim and gritty, I miss when comic were fun. I notice as the fun has gone out of comic books so has a lot of the readership.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes it's just kind of sad. This was the perfect opportunity for DC to do comics that are far less grim, gritty and gory, and could cater to a younger audience while still being in the DCU.

13. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Ew to the Powergirl design. Do not like that look at all. Especially the hair style they went with.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    On Power Girl: I understand the desire to redesign her costume, but I think just closing the famous window would be enough. Her design under Amanda Connor's pen was pretty much perfect and this one is not. The gold boots don't fit, the hairstyle is attrocious and her 'symbol' is pretty piss-weak.

On the Trinity: I really like the Superman outfit. A neat update that still evokes classic costume of yesteryear. Batman's is pretty cool: not the best outfit I've seen him wear but a far cry from his shittiest.

Now, on to my favourite character of the three: Wonder Woman. There are a few things I feel this costume does better than the current New52. Instead of the much malligned tiara, we have something that looks like a helm. It leans more towards ceremonial than usable but its a significant step up.

The (obviously) armoured greaves instead of the heeled boots: big plus. The skirt should be armoured but its presence is a sign of progression without losing sight of the fun. The single armoured arm seems odd since I think it should be the sword arm that has it and the shield arm is bare.

Major gripe: still no shoulder armour. Keep the deep clevage if you must (God knows I would) but the chest peice needs smartening up in that respect. Go a bit nuts with it guys, its God forged armour or a living demi-God, weight is not an issue and anything else gets covered by the magic umbrella.

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Yep. :( 

16. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

The thing is comics originally went that route because of declining readership...

and also I think I understand why PG's got such a design change most of her old costume's look has been given to SuperGirl and also the symbol no matter how horrid it looks makes sense if she's Earth 2 Supe's replacement after he retired like in her original backstory...still would've looked alot better with some blue to break up all that white like make her gloves and boots that color.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind Power Girl's new costume, other than the symbol and the godawful haircut. Change her hair, replace the "P" symbol with just plain red, maybe add some blue accents and it's good.

I do wish Earth-2 Superman's look had been used for the main universe, though. Other than the wristbands, it looks a lot better.

Armor isn't necessary on the sword arm because one can use the blade to block attacks and protect that arm. Armor would also impede the free movement of that arm and affect one's dexterity with the sword.

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yes it was different and it worked at the time, but if that is ALL you do, readers get tired quickly, the best stories have both grim and light times, not one or the other all the time. Readers, like heroes need some light and fun moments to recover from all the grim deaths and exausting crossovers. Give the heroes some time to be heroes and have personal lives before the next earth shattering story line. The old earth shattering stories were shocking because it destroyed the happy fun lives the writers had previously set up. If it is just, death,death, destruction all the times your readers will get depressed and your heroes would probably be suicidal. The bad moments only work if you have a period of good moments and character building arcs that come before all the destruction. When was the last time we saw their private lives, or have the go on dates, remember when the adventures of their secret id's were as interesting as their time in costume? Readers used to identify with them because they were also normal people. We almost never see the normal side anymore.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Thats a good point, its been a long time since I studied ancient weapons and armour so I'm just going off what little I remember. Either way its a neat look.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    So true. I miss seeing the X-Men playing baseball, or just hanging out at the local tavern. Heck, back in the 80s, we even got the West Coast and East Coast Avengers playing baseball against each other. We'd get the Avengers women in their civilian IDs going shopping etc. There are some writers who know how to balance stories like that, like Dan Slott. I love how he makes the current Spider-Man stories not just about Spider-Man, but about Peter Parker as well. He's even built up a new supporting cast for him, when was the last time anyone's done that for a major character? It's sad that most writers don't seem interested in doing that sort of story anymore.