dc vs marvel, who's better?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Oct 30, 2011.

?

who makes the best comics?

1. marvel makes better comics than dc

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. dc makes better comics than marvel

22 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. marvel and dc make equally good comics

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. (insert name) makes better comics than both dc and marvel

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

please no spamming and hating in this thread

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'm much more into DC comics these days than Marvel, but I have equal love for both companies.

3. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    while marvel has better characters and back stories, i enjoy reading DC because its usually a better read

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Really both have had their moments, sometimes one is better than the other at a given time period, but in the long run both have had both truly great and truly terrible moments. I try to remember only the good ones, but there are some that are so bad you can't forget if you wanted to.

5. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Marvel for me, hands down. Theres one dc character I like, batman. Prolly hundreds of marvel characters I love

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They both make equally good comics but overall I'm a bigger fan of Marvel.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Historically, I've always enjoyed DC's comics more, since they seem to focus more on escapism and superhero stuff, rather than spending too much time bogged down in the drama of the characters' personal lives, like Marvel. When I read Big Two superhero comics, I'm just looking for the escapism and have no interest in the characters' love lives, employment or whatever doesn't have to do with their time in costume fighting supervillains. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to character drama but, if I want to read that, I'll get a non-Big Two comic where the characterization is generally handled better. I actually stopped reading any Marvel 616 comics years ago and only read the GL titles from DC...and even those are on shaky ground with me. Most everything I read now is from one of the independents.

If we're talking in terms of back-catalog, though, I think DC wins hands down. So many of the famous, classic stories that have stood the test of time are from DC. Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Crisis on Infinite Earths, The Judas Contract, V for Vendetta, Sandman, etc. I can't think of a major Marvel story that's on the level of any of those, in terms of critical acclaim or staying power.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Always preferred DC. Their Vertigo imprint contains some of my best-loved comics ever, which also happen to be critically praised.

The only Marvel title I read nowadays is Punisher MAX.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I used to prefer Marvel, but over the last several years I've become more and more of a DC fan. I don't think Marvel is going to win me back so long as Quesada and Bendis are still running things - I know that others like them, but their approach to running the company hasn't been working for me.

10. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

comics i would say DC(better stories now a days)...and then it gets weird for me cuz i like most of the guy superheros from mavel but i like most of the girl superheros from DC..:crazy: .....collosus being my fav marvel superhero and powergirl being my fav DC superhero..

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected more Marvel comics, but right now I don't collect anything. It's hard for me to say. Both companies have put out some great stories and both companies have put out some serious dreck too. I guess I would say they're pretty much even.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    This!

I can't say I'm a huge fan of any at this point, since I only follow a few of their titles, and they're both equal in number - Batman and American Vampire, Action Comics, Captain America,Daredevil, and Amazing Spider-Man to name the top of my reading lists. I do have my problems with both companies, namely DC's huge fascination with blood/gore/t&a and constant reboots/retellings (how many Superman origins have we gotten in the last few years? JLA relaunches?), and Marvel's current obsession with non events, talking heads and decompressed storytelling. Thankfully they're not prevalent in all titles, so I can still pick up stuff here and there, but in general, not that happy with them, but still glad they put out good comics I can read.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Neither is better than the other. Besides Superman and Batman, Marvel has more iconic characters and does better in developing movies One would say Marvel is better but judging fom the quality vs quantity of product being produced, its a tough argument. DC has streamlined their books into 52 titles while Marvel has put out copious amounts of books with little to no return. One month, they had 7 Thor books. It's hard enough to sell 1 Thor book, let alone 7. Same with Cap and Iron Man.

Its just a matter of what you like. Hell, for some people Marvel and DC both blow compared to Image and Dark Horse.

14. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other. Both of them have their fair share of pros and cons which I'd say pretty much keeps them at pace with each other.

Although for me personally, I used to prefer Marvel but I've become much more of a DC fan over the years. I just don't like the direction Marvel has been taking their stories, especially since One More Day.

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Agreed. I think Marvel has a lot of great characters and stories, I just find their direction to be lacking. I realized after buying every issue (at $4 a pop!) of House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion that nothing was happening and that all of their characters were acting out of character. Not to mention that Wolverine and Deadpool are each way overused.

I still think Bendis' and Bagley's run on Ultimate Spider-Man is one of my all-time favorites for that character.

As for One More Day, I don't have a problem with dissolving Peter and MJ's marriage. What I do have a problem with is the way they went about doing it. Are you telling me the best idea the "House of Ideas" could come up with is to have their flagship character, the idol of millions and the hero to kids all over the world, make a deal with the devil? Please.

I find DC to be the more imaginative of the two. The multiple Earths, the huge breadth of characters, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, I just find them to be more fun to read.

I was a bit skeptical of The New 52. Still am. But most of what I picked up was really good and I'm having a difficult time deciding which titles to drop. I still prefer Superman's classic costume, but hopefully that will return when the lawsuit's over.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    While I enjoy both Marvel and DC, I find I like the DC characters a bit more.

I particularly enjoyed the JLA/Avengers crossover from years ago, the first two issues especially.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Agreed, I wouldn't have minded a divorce, or other ways, but a deal with the devil was stupid and very out of character for Peter Parker who was once the moral heart of the Marvel universe. I haven't bought a mainstream 616 Spiderman issue since(Though to be honest I had stopped buying them after the reveal his identity thing). I do however pick up Ultimate. Quesda will be forever remembered for that stupid event. It will eventually be retconned when he no longer has any control, but it will be a few years. But it's many other stupid decisions like this that have soured readers of both companies. It's done for shock value and nothing more. Wasp death, Civil War, Both Caps Deaths, etc. With Dc it's Lian's Death, making Red Arrow who had become a solid character, a sorry pathetic shadow of his former self. What they are doing with Starfire, and other poor decisions. It's like they don't understand their own characters at times.

18. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    IDW

19. Shelbo

Shelbo Hur hur

I prefer Marvel superheros over DC ones.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm voting DC. They've been at the comics game longer than anyone else.