DC Universe Online PS3 Cannot Be Resold

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    PSA: PS3 copies of DC Universe Online tied to one-time-use codes | Joystiq

Figured this would get lost in the existing thread.

The PS3 version of DC Universe Online cannot be resold. They contain a one time use encryption key that ties each copy of the game to the activated account. So anyone who is unfortunate enough to try and buy a used copy will never be able to play the game.

So don't buy it unless you really plan on keeping it active.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I kinda knew this going in. It was the same for EQOA and FFXI (I think), up until a certain point, where you only needed to type in your information and any disc would work. edit: Yeah Phantasy Star was the same.

The potentially redeeming side of it is that we got a free month and in that month I've put at least 20-30 hours into the game (more than most other games outside of RPGs). I've gotten a traditional game's money's worth, and if I don't resubscribe my characters will remain saved forever. You don't need to keep it active. I have characters from 2004 still active on my EQOA account. I can buy a subscription from PSN so I don't get recharged without knowing. I've enjoyed the game, but there's simply too much shit out. Whenever (if ever) things calm down, I'll hop onto it again.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Not true.

As soon as your 30 days are up funds are automatically taken using your details tied to PSN, no notice is given. I was under the impression once my free 30 days were up, you had to purchase time yourself from the store, not that it would do it itself considering I never typed in any credit card details in game.

You have to make sure you clear you automatic renewels hidden away with the account management on your PS3 to make sure it doesn't happen so they should have made that clear from the start :( 

Not being able to re-sell it I suppose is unexpected for I but oh well.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True. Because I didn't get recharged. Yes, I disabled automatic recharge, but if I didn't have funds in my PSN account it would not have auto-charged me. I canceled auto-subscribe because I had a few bucks in there I was saving for Ys next week and I didn't want the game to take it away. If I was low on funds, it would have auto canceled me. Like I said, this isn't new to MMORs by a long shot, it's just more rare for consoles.

Yeah, they could have been more clear about it, but a week or so before the renewal time, there was a post on it. That was my reminder. They were under the assumption that people would just know since it's common knowledge for MMOR users that if they don't cancel, or change charge methods, they will be charged.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really, you're taking that out of it? What does this have to do with PS3? It's an SOE game, not exclusive to PS3. I didn't renew my subscription. I've played MMORs before. It's happens with subscription-based games. It's like defending EA's decision to charge people for online play on used games and making it about Xbox or PS3 being better.

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    This makes perfect sense to me. Game companies and publishers have realized that the lose far more money to people buying used games than pirates.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That argument doesn't really hold water for a game that requires a $15 per month subscription to play it. New or used they would get that money.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True. I'd rather someone buy my game used, and I never see that money, but I see subscriptions rise from it.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Exactly , to me all this is trying to block the resale market. it would make some sense to sell new codes so that those who wish to buy a used copy can and the game company gets some cash out of the deal as well.

Its well known the Video game industry isn't happy that they see no money from the resale of used games and this just might be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fight back against used game sales.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As a former MMO player on the PC I'm not very surprised. That's how it works there also. Your game copy is tied to a serial number which is then tied to the game itself. So if you sell your disk or give it away, it doesn't matter anymore as YOUR account is the only one that can access those disks.

11. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Well dammit. :( 

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I'd bite if it was like $5 a month.

15 is way too much for a game that is not being fully supported.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, that's been my biggest problem. The game is fun, and things are being worked on, but I wanted the issues I personally had with it to be resolved before I put in my first 15. It's nice that my character will be saved, because I'd still be interested in what the game is like in 2 months, but for now, I've got enough with ME2, LBP, KZ3, and the 3DS next month.

14. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! And here am I wanting to buy it used. Guess I will never play this game.

15. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Yeah, kinda expected this. Not going to buy a subscription, either. Got my fill, ta. Still. At least it'll all be there if I ever want to come back.

16. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, they can't treat you different.... If you want the game then know that you will be treated like a pc gamer... =P

And I would of got it for pc IF it wasn't 15 dollars a month.... 5 dollars sounds nice... =P

17. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Champions online is F2P. Just sayin......

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I still can't believe this. There goes $60 down the drain. :banghead:  The only way I would get out of this is if I made another account, and I don't plan on doing it.

Crap. Anyone want a drink coaster?