DC returning $3.99 books back to $2.99 pricing

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Note books dropping to 20 pages of content, so creators are eating the cost with less work and DC has an extra 2 pages to sell for advertising.

I'm sure that theres a larger strategy at play here, DC certainly arn't doing it out of altrusim for direct market fanboys that will buy the books regurdless. It'll be interesting to see what happens with trade pricing, digital distro and the contents of the books.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    It's so long since i read comics regularly that at the time the $1.50 ones were the expensive ones.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too late, as far as I'm concerned. The $3.99 price on Emerald Warriors already got me started on moving to trades-only and, while I'm not all the way there yet (still have 4 more issues of GL and 2 more issues of DV8 to go), the price drop back to $2.99 isn't going to be enough to get me to change my mind. The reduction in story pages does play a small role in my decision, but it's largely motivated by the fact that I've found I prefer reading trades (thank you, Walking Dead), am getting used to waiting for the trades to come out (thank you, Evangelion manga) and even $2.99 is still too expensive for a single new comic.

Nice to see DC (and Marvel, IIRC) backing off on the $3.99 price, but they've already lost me as a singles customer because of it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

I will still keep picking up comics but it's reassuring to see this news.

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a big difference in a my opinion but it's better.

7. RabidYak

Thinking about it, the really interesting thing is that the lower number of pages in DC (and maybe Marvel if they follow) books could give the upper tier folks still jobbing for the big two more incentive to work elsewhere.

I won't pretend to know the page rates at the various publishers, but keeping the rights to thier work and getting a bigger cut could easily justify doing 22 pages for the same money as 20 for folks with sales power. I'd certainly rather see the likes of JHW3, Quietly, Morrison, Ellis and so on doing more stuff they have a vested interested in then another bunch of pointless Batman books or whatever.

8. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I agree. I'd like to see Quietly and Morrison off of Batman, but only because I don't care for them. Especially Quitely's take on Dick as Batman. Blegh.

9. RabidYak

Word on the net is that Marvel is going back to $2.99 for NEW titles from January, nothing on existing books at that point or on pagecounts.

Also Dark Horse alledgedly dropping digital prices to $1.50. Note that thier floppies are still $2.99 for licenced books and $3.50 for creator owned, with generally less sales and economy of scale then the two corporates that are claiming poverty.

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm the same way now. Simple fact is single issues are glorified mini-artbooks now. They tend to have little dialogue, lack of narration, and no real self contained stories.

I talked to a comic geek friend about this and he believes everything is purposely designed for selling trades because they get a bigger cut of the sales or something like that. Single issues are a scam.

11. RabidYak

The problem is that most writers can't make that model work properly in any format. They don't work as individual comics because there isn't enougth content, they don't work as a proper serial because there are artificial breaks every 6 or so issues and they don't work as books because they don't have proper story structure.

Unfortunatly it isn't going to change in the US until the customer base gets a clue and/or publishers find a decent business model.