DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I click on those links, and I can’t read a thing. Damn pop-up ads.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, like we haven't seen that a bunch of times before. How daring. How original.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've come to the conclusion that Tom King is one of the worst Batman writers I've ever read. His run has not been good.

5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    While I wouldn’t go that far, I will say that his Batman writing can be pretty good (his two parter with Superman for example, or the one off with the kid who wanted to be Bruce Wayne) but then veer wildly into bad Bendis territory (Batman & Catwoman vs Poison Ivy’s mind controlled heroes, Bane somehow being a master manipulator of an even grander scale and having access to guys like Flashpoint Batman) and while it isn’t a Batman story, his Heroes in Crisis has so far read like one one of Bendis’ bad event stories.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What wasn't pretty was what a waste of an issue (or a series) it was.

After Snyder made such a big deal in interview about trying to justify why Joker would be on the team at all in the first place and how central he was going to be to Luthor's vision, then NOPE, let's undermine all that and just have him leave suddenly because we need him over here in a different book. Tynion does the best job possible of trying to rationalize within the story what was probably an editorial move, but it still came off as forced. Not helped at all by the fact they wasted an entire issue to force it. It's too bad, too, because the issue started out promising. I give up on this book.

I think he's one of the best writers DC currently has employed, but not for Batman, which unfortunately has been the bulk of his output there.

I don't know if I would say he's one of the worst Batman writers ever in general, but counting only people who have had an extended run on the character like he has, he'd have to be right up there among the worst.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
  10. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Those Wonder Comics look good~! I gotta tell my boyfriend about the Wonder Twins one. He loves the Hanna-Barbera characters.

11. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  12. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying Batman quite a bit more since Catwoman stopped appearing. The dialogue between them was terrible.

13. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Barnes and Noble had a special Aquaman trade called "War for the Throne," bound in a special Momoa-centric cover. It was actually just Aquaman's version of the Throne of Atlantis trade (as opposed to the Justice League version; the former contains Aquaman #0 and the issue right before ToA, the latter has the JL issue after ToA). Which is fine by me, I've been wanting to get that event in collected form for a while. It's also cheaper than the original trade, I checked while I was there.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, comics that actually play to some of his strengths. These are the DC books he should be writing, not Superman. The problem is that books with these characters will never do the numbers a Superman book will, so DC can't justify Bendis' price with these books alone. And really, his Jinxworld books above everything. My only worry is that he'll spread himself too thin and the quality on his creator-owned stuff will drop.

15. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wow, looks like Batman and Gordon are already friends again. That was fast. Maybe the Bat-signal is back already, too.

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    DC's playing it kinda fast and loose with continuity in a lot of their books, depending on the writer. In this case, I don't think King's Batman and the Detective book intersect that much.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, I like King... but when it comes to Batman, I'll take Tomasi over King by ten bazillion miles, thank you very much, DC.

On a side note, two new series last week, Martian Manhunter and Shazam, were both fantastic.

First good Martian Manhunter take in decades. The only part I couldn't get onboard with was J'Onn's cop partner's hairstyle. But the issue was a great beginning.

Shazam does continue out of the previous Johns story, but course corrects away from the things people didn't like about it. And what we get is a much more fun take on the character, with an interesting new mythology being created.

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I wonder if post Doomsday Clock will see a New New Earth, with New Earth (Classic DC, Wildstorm, Vertigo, Milestone) with a version of Watchmen’s Earth (they have had other Earth’s that are homages to the Pre Crisis Earth 2, Earth S, so we can have a Earth W) with their characters incorporated (with some changes, say Moloch actually have Magic Powers, Dr Manhattan loses maybe half his power......etc)

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love the idea of multiple Earths at DC again, but the problem is that they have to actually USE them in order for us to see all these wonderful characters. Which for some reason, DC found easy to do back in the 1970s & 1980s, with multiple books set on alternate Earths, but seems difficult for DC to do in modern times. Although I guess we do have a rebooted Wildstorm universe book going on right now, and that's great.