DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The less said the better! LOL!

Yeah, I get what you mean but tbh I couldn't get into the title...just no interest...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    And it was a well that they went back to again and again and again, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I have the Silver Age GL omnibi, and I will say that the Guardians were always benevolent and caring all through the 1960s. It was Denny O'Neil in the well-known GL/GA Bronze Age run that turned them into bad bosses who abused and never listened to Hal. There is seriously a huge tonal shift between GL #75 and GL/GA #76. I'm glad to see Morrison taking inspiration from the older material.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The Guardians have kind of reflected the public's attitude towards authority figures in any given era. In the Silver Age, they were to be respected and knew best. Consummate father figures, like super-evolved Ward Cleavers. In the '70s they were still good but they were overbearing and a bit clueless. Don't trust anyone over 30, the kids know best blah blah blah. But all through Johns' run in the 2000s, they were secretive and flat out malevolent. And I get where that comes from, but it kills the entire concept. The Guardians aren't us, ffs. If they aren't better than us, if they haven't evolved beyond all our petty bullshit, there's no point to any of it.

No surprise that Morrison gets that and is here to fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it killed the entire concept or that the Guardians were meant to necessarily be us during Johns run. Johns point was more about asking the question, who put the Guardians in charge of maintaining order in the universe and decided their ideals were the best for everyone? Johns answer was that they put themselves in charge. And except for Ganthet, over the eons they'd lost touch of the very ideals they'd meant to uphold having secluded themselves away from experiencing life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, immortal beings who have lived millions of years as benevolent protectors suddenly in the space of maybe 15 years changed completely into corrupt, evil manipulators. Maybe it worked for you. It didn't work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Looks like Didio is trying to maintain the New52 stuff that Johns tossed out during Rebirth. Someone even more higher up at DC/Warner really needs to straighten out the direction because I don't think these conflicting directions is going to do the books good long term.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Think you can say the same for Professor X, Chief, Odin and a ton of other father figure/old authority figures across comics.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Chief and Professor X were always kind of shady, though. If you read the original 66 issues, Professor X was constantly mind wiping people.

12. Sparky Prime

And the Manhunters (introduced in 1977) that they created where such a great peacekeeping force. I wouldn't go so far to call the Guardians "corrupt, evil manipulators". They were cold and logical. There is a difference. I don't see that as having developed in the space of just 15 years, there were elements of that for much longer.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:02 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    By the end of Johns' run, they were just evil. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia's synopsis for the Third Army storyline:

Evil.

There's a huge difference between an honest mistake in the quest to create a working peacekeeping force, and machinations that include flat-out murder on a large scale and attempted subjugation of all intelligent life.

14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    They're clearly trying to dial back on Rebirth, despite how successful it was for them. But DC has often been schizophrenic in recent decades, sadly. Look at what they've done with Wally West, who was front and center in Rebirth.

15. Sparky Prime

Just because a wiki article calls it an "evil agenda" doesn't make it evil. I've read the Third Army storyline for myself. The Guardians were just following their goals of maintaining order in the universe to its cold and logical conclusion. How do you control a willful universe? Take away free will. It's not inherently evil, and the Guardians don't see it as such, but to us, it misses the point of what it means to be alive.

Honest mistake? They created a literal army of soulless killing machines to subjugate the universe with their own ideals of order. That's really not all that different from the Third Army. And they weren't technically murdering anyone with the Third Army, those people were still alive, albeit having been transformed into a Third Army soldier controlled directly by the Guardians. They were sort of like the Borg from Star Trek, but having their biology altered rather than having technology implanted into them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 3:57 PM
  16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Clark Kent Joins the Navy SEALs In Superman: Year One

Superman joins the Navy? Popeye's going to have some competition.

But seriously, the Navy is very underrated. Hal Jordan was in the Air Force and John Stewart the Marines, but nobody cares about going to sea.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    DC's Black Label Imprint Adds Watchmen, All-Star Superman and Other Classic Graphic Novels - IGN

Reprints under this label includes:
    • ALL-STAR SUPERMAN—Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely—available 12/04/2018
    • DC: THE NEW FRONTIER—Darwyn Cooke—available 2/19/2019
    • WATCHMEN (HC w/new slipcase)—Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons—available 3/26/2019
    • KINGDOM COME—Mark Waid & Alex Ross—available 4/23/2019
    • RONIN—Frank Miller & Lynn Varley— available 5/07/2019
    • ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER VOL. 1—Miller & Jim Lee and BATMAN: YEAR ONE—Miller & David Mazzucchelli—available 6/11/2019
    • BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN—Miller—BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS—Miller & Klaus Janson—available 6/18/2019
    • BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: THE MASTER RACE—Miller & Brian Azzarello & Andy Kubert & Janson—available 6/25/2019
    • LUTHOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION and THE JOKER 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION —Azzarello & Lee Bermejo—available 7/09/2019
    • BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM—Morrison & Dave McKean—available 8/13/2019
    • THE JOKER: DELUXE EDITION—Azzarello & Bermejo—available 9/10/2019
    • BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE—Moore & Brian Bolland—available 9/17/2019
    • WATCHMEN (TP)—Moore & Gibbons—available 9/24/2019
    • BATMAN: YEAR 100—Paul Pope—available 10/08/2019
    • SUPERMAN: RED SON—Mark Millar & Dave Johnson & Andrew Robinson & Killian Plunkett & Walden Wong—available 10/22/2019
    • BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN—Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale—11/05/2019
    • BLACK ORCHID—Neil Gaiman & McKean—11/12/2019
    • BATMAN: DARK VICTORY—Loeb & Sale—11/26/2019
    • BATMAN: HAUNTED KNIGHT—Loeb & Sale—12/17/2019
    • CATWOMAN: WHEN IN ROME—Loeb & Sale—12/31/2019

18. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I can’t agree. It certainly seemed evil, and much different to how they had operated in the past.

19. Sparky Prime

You're not seeing it from the Guardians perspective then.

I'm not saying what they did by creating the Third Army was right, but that's not the same thing as it being evil. They thought they were doing what was good for maintaining order in the universe, from a cold, logical perspective. Obviously it's not how they operated in the past, but then, the Green Lanterns also operated very differently from the Manhunters. The point I'm making here is that there were elements of this cold logical rational to the Guardians long before Johns, even if the Guardians never went to an extreme like the Third Army was before.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm just gonna say that John's run on GL is the most important in the franchise's history other than the introduction of Hal in the Silver Age.

That fact cannot be denied. He did in the comic industry what Marvel did for Iron Man in the movies; taking an extremely important historical borderline A-list character and turning him into a massive cultural phenomenon beyond a singular title.

Like or not how he wrote the guardians (which I think IMO had solid footing from Emerald Twilight), the positives vastly outweighed everything else.

• Like Like x 1