DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Sigh not surprised considering Bendis has pulled similar hype only to pull the rug from under during his time at Marvel. So far, all this is just making me avoid his Superman work like the plague.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Bendis doesn't get it period the whole point of the phantom zone is you don't age and you don't die, your a PHANTOM who can't touch or interact with anything while your in it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(though that can vary depending on continuity)

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I went from excited before his run began, to disappointed and forcing myself to sit through, by the end of Man of Steel, to just flipping through but not reading by the first issue of his Action, to not even touching this latest issue.

I agree with Bendis that there's going to be an apology owed after his run, but it won't be owed from the fandom to him.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, this issue of Superman was weird. The pacing was a mess and it just ended abruptly. I’m not sure if the last page was a cliffhanger or a bad coloring error.

5. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I really liked it and felt the central fight was a big clue to the mystery shown in a neat organic way.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You're welcome to it. I took it as long as I could. Now I'm waiting for it to be over. Everything about every issue I read felt like here's a guy who has never read Superman because he never liked it, so he only has the surface level knowledge that everyone in the world and their mother has just through pure osmosis. And he couldn't be bothered to read any Superman comics or do any research whatsoever before starting this major assignment.

If he turns it around later, I will happily eat my words.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  8. GoLion

GoLion Skullf***er McWhoremaster Supreme

News Credits:
    It's not a bad comic by its own metric, but it's a BAD superman comic. Bendis just doesn't understand the character. I'm not interested in the book anymore.

9. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See, I REALLY don't feel that part. I think he gets the character really well and all the narration during saving people scenes really shows how much he thought about how someone like Superman who IS genuinley good and powerful would think.

Also, so far he has paid WAY more attention to the work that Jurgens and Tomasi have done these past few years than I typically expect from Bendis when he comes on to a title.

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

DC seems intent on squandering the goodwill that Rebirth bought them.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If they really do plan on letting this universe die and starting over, maybe their plan is to wreck everything on the way out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GoLion

GoLion Skullf***er McWhoremaster Supreme

News Credits:
    That's still rumor, right?
    I've read/heard all sorts of stuff lately. Things like they're starting over from scratch... again, or things like they're bringing back the pre-52.
    Frankly, I thought they really started making the post rebirth universe really interesting. Now it's a bit of a mess again.

13. Star Saber

News Credits:
    When Geoff was doing the Rebirth interviews & Q&As, IIRC, I think he was emphasizing that DC was going to make the most of its history moving forward and that they were looking to build off of it, rather than toss things away. Of course now that there's a power structure change at DC, who knows what will happen moving forward - but I'm really hoping Geoff has enough clout at DC that it's his vision that goes through rather than someone like Didio.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    So with two issues of Mister Miracle left, do you think King will pull the trigger on what he's been setting up since issue 1, or is it all some kind of misdirection?

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    That is the only rational and reasonable thing to do. There's been too much good work put into DC by too many good creators with too many fans of that material to toss it all away because it's supposedly "confusing" to "new readers".

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    EXCLUSIVE: Justice League, Aquaman 'Drowned Earth' Solicits for November 2018

Since the last two months of 2018 is Aquaman's movie month, he's getting a DC event.

[​IMG]

In the upcoming Justice League event, “Drowned Earth,” Arthur Curry will find himself and his closest allies thrust into the front lines of a story that has cosmic consequences, not only for his position on the Justice League, but for the history of Atlantis… and Earth’s future.

"I think Aquaman is a character for both Scott and I who really surprised us. There’s this richness and the depth because he’s tapped into the fantastic mythology of Atlantis.”

"We wanted to create this big mystery around the idea that Earth seems to be one of the only planets that has vibrant sort of oceanic life. There just aren’t a lot of other places that have big living oceans. So we wanted to create a mystery around that — was there something that happened with Atlantis that caused that?"

"Arthur looks back at the days of Atlantis when it was an exploratory city, one of the first ever in history before it sunk,” Snyder continued. “And it was a civilization that wanted to reach out to other planets, wanted to reach out to other civilizations and see if there was a way of using the ocean, using this kind of fluidity of life that connect us all to reach out and find other other species.”"

Interesting.

17. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    First that Justice League Dark crossover, now this. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s one with Justice League Odyssey after this one.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It depends on what you think he's been setting up. No, I don't think Scott's suicide attempt in issue #1 was actually successful, but yes, I do think he got hit by an Omega Sanction prior to the series and that none of the events in the comic are actually "real" except in the sense that we are watching Scott the escape artist trying to figure out how to escape the Omega Sanction (the suicide possibly being his first attempt at this).

19. Star Saber

News Credits:
    That's what I'm also thinking. Considering the pace that King has been working on, I'm hoping the escape/success and ending won't just come and go abruptly.

20. Omegashark18

News Credits: