DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks I found it. It's part of the "Thy Kingdom Come" arc. Since it's smack dab in the middle of the storyline. I bought the collection. And damn it's a good read.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah pretty much the entire JSA run by Johns is worth a read.
    The JSA is really good if you start at the beginning. The characters evolve a lot and new cool characters are introduced.
    I can also recommend his run on the Wally West Flash.
    Though reading it, it always makes me miss the real MR. Terrific. He was a great character in the JSA books.
    I have no issues with them making him gay on Arrow, but they lost out on a lot of his characterization from the comics.
    His whole point of being a hero was the death of his wife. But not in a angry way, a I'm going to do my best to prove my worth to her and make the world a better place way.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But this is actually a perfect argument for changing the characters for a new generation. Because the new Mr. Terrific will be the real Mr. Terrific for kids who grow up with him, the same way a reader 20 years older than you might not agree with you about ANY Michael Holt being the "real" Mr. Terrific.

But yeah, that entire Johns (plus Robinson in the early issues) era of JSA is outstanding. I love those books. Even the second series, which wasn't as good as the first, was still one of the best team books DC has ever put out.

4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Nonsense. Micheal is just a legacy character. They're BOTH the real Mr. Terrific. I like both character equally. I agree that the JSA books were amazing. I feel like the second series was plagued by Ross. He was a creative contributor on that series.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree he hurt it. But it was still better than just about any other team book from the Big 2 at that time.

But in terms of being a legacy character, don't forget that Holt had ZERO connection to Sloane, the original Mr Terrific. Not only did Michael not know Terry; he'd never even heard of him, if I remember right. No mantle was passed. Holt just took the name. That's it. In that way, it's no different than any other time Marvel or DC suddenly gives an entirely new character a previously existing character's name and expects readers to accept the new character.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

But the original had been dead for years. He wasn't just suddenly killed so that Holt could take over.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah I still remember he was killed off pretty early in one of those JLA/JSA team-ups and iirc, there was no immediate resolution at the end. Felt very weird.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wasn't that early; he was killed off sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, after Power Girl and Huntress had joined the JSA. He was killed as part of a murder mystery storyline and he was chosen as the victim primarily because he was probably the most obscure JSA member and really wouldn't be missed after he died. He was actually murdered by one of his classic Golden Age enemies who had never appeared before and was specifically created for that story.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    It was definitely one of those 70s issues, and to me that was early lol, but I get what you mean. Probably not obscure, but I think a lot of people couldn't appreciate the "Man of 1000 talents" thing he had going on back then.

10. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I've read the entire JLA run; "early" for me means the Gardner Fox era/early 60s. The issues we're discussing were, I think, in the Gerry Conway run, which was the last ~100 issues of the original volume.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, for me, nothing after Sekowsky is early. But that just comes down to age. :( 

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, I'm re-reading the Superman comics from the last few months. It's been said that "Rebirth" is not a reboot. What the heck is this then?

Also
    The New 52 Wally West currently lost his speed in "The Lazarus Contract" story line. Is it part of the plan for Rebirth?

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Essentially they're merging the new 52 and pre-Flashpoint continuity into one universe... or rather that's the best way I've found of describing it. The new #1's from last year really acted as a good starting point, while also not ignoring all the history that came before them... imho anyways.

Someone else might be able to craft a better description...
    Doubtful. Probably just something for that character's story, rather rather than Rebirth as a whole.

14. Switchblade

News Credits:
    It's more like an "unboot," bringing most of the real DCU and its history back.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well, if it were a reboot, it would have thrown out mostly everything like what most of the New 52 did. This is more like a merging. They're taking elements of the New 52 (in most cases the better stuff) and fitting it in with stuff that came before.

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I know they said that Ted Kord was Blue Beetle in the Justice League, but his heart condition forced him to retire (and unlike Pre Countdown to Infinite Crisis, he never came out of retirement and get killed, he stayed retired)

So, I know a Power Girl appeared in Harley Quinn, and it was implied she was from another time, maybe this was the Pre Flashpoint Power Girl, once again surviving a reality change......I think

17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you talking about Harley's Little Black Book? Because that was the main Power Girl who's been appearing throughout the New 52 and later went back to her home dimension.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol@ "real".

Did they bring back the pre-CoIE DCU? No? Then save it with that "real" stuff.

19. Star Saber

News Credits:
    It's instances like this where descriptions can get really confusing due to DC's constant reboots. By main, what is probably meant is that she's the New 52 version who came from and eventually went back to her Earth, New 52's Earth 2.

20. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Got this for my bday today:

[​IMG]

And I just used the Amazon gift card to pick up Flash Silver Age Volume 2 Omnibus.