DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
  2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    So just read Batman #21, while it was a bit short on the explanations, I really liked how Tom King showed off Batman and the Flash, Batman with his keen mind and constant planning and Barry Allen's constant lateness :lol . Looking forward to seeing what they'll do with the story.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah but Thawne is
    turning into Kenny. Seems like every time I read about him or watch on TV now they show him dying right after doing something badass.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah was disappointed by that considering the build-up (though we knew what was coming considering the next issue's cover), but considering how relatively little happened in this book, I guess they had to use that to move the next 3 parts of the storyline.

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sounds... interesting so-far. Though we still don't have much info to go off of just yet.

Edit: The more I read, the more I like. Definitely not the big Marvel-esque event I was fearing. It's a three issue miniseries leading into the introduction of a handful of new books featuring new characters.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    And that's the way to do it. Not take most of their legacy characters and shit on them. Then replace them with new characters all wrapped up with the old hero name .

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Eh, kinda worried about the new characters thing. I mean, it sounds good on paper -- make some fresh new characters with cool powers and origins -- but how often does that actually work? I suppose, if we can get at least 1 or 2 new characters out of this that actually lasts past this iteration of DC, then great. But I feel that there will be more misses and hits, and those characters will slip into obscurity.

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    That's what Happened with Kyler Rayner and Connor Hawke way back when, not to mention Jean Paul Valley, Kon-El,and others back in the day. Of course back them books were under $2.00. I think it was only $1.50 back then. You could afford to try a new character or a title for a few issues. You could get 3 titles for what they charge for 1 issue today.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I think the attempt to try is worth applauding - especially when you consider how often creators these days avoid creating original characters for the Big Two and instead rely on spin-off characters off a property.

With DC, replacing characters has constantly been their thing, in the 60s we got Barry, Hal, in the 70s we got guys like John Stewart, in the 80s Jason Todd, and a ton of replacements in the 90s including John Henry Irons, Kon-el, Connor and Kyle among others. It kind of also shows it's not the pricing, but rather the story quality. If the character makes his mark in the stories, he'll continue to thrive, despite the times.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I certainly hope this works for them and for we the readers.

I guess I would just be more enthused if I knew these potential new characters were something these individual creators have wanted to do for a long time, as opposed to DC just saying "hey guys, start thinking up new characters-- we're gonna throw them all at the wall at the same time, and see what sticks".

If DC were to say that they have a long-term initiative, where writers and artists were encouraged to develop new characters, over time and more organically, I would be all for that.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    While I don't know how DC created a number of their characters, I feel a bunch of them are the throw em at the wall and see what sticks variety. Pretty sure Hitman is one since he was part of the Bloodlines storyline, as is Steel and Kon-El because that was a pretty quick turnaround for DC from Death to Return, and Death was a bit spur of the moment.
    Not sure we'll ever see the writer/artists develop totally brand new characters the same way as they did before, considering the shorter leash books have and the incentives for writers/artists to save their better ideas for a place like Image.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not sure about any of the other titles, but I think I'll be checking out the first arc's worth of The Immortal Men. More because of Jim Lee's art, but the premise does seem somewhat interesting. The little notes around the sketches helped a bit too. I'm also kind of interested in Damage, but I think it'll be one of the first to get cut. Too much of an obvious Hulk rip-off to last imo.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Third issue of the Ellis WildStorm relaunch came out; I'm really enjoying this so far. Waaaaaaaay better than the New 52 attempt at using these characters, imo.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Somehow I think the reason they didn't really fit was a bunch of them were meant to be more extreme/modern analogues of established/iconic characters which made them really out of place considering they were now in a universe where the established/iconic characters were more extreme or modernized.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Plus, if it's the main DC Earth, you can't have IO running the world, the Authority can't exist at all, and even StormWatch is a difficult fit.

17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is way I say screw continuity and just let the writers tell their stories becusce it just gets confusing keeping track of what happened first or how it happened and all it does is limit the creativity.

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I would argue that's not always true, some great stories were only written because of what came before. Yes continuity can get convoluted but great writers can use that to their advantage. Wildstorm's world building is what helped set it apart from the other Image-verses.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's not a problem with continuity, imo; it's a problem with a shared universe. And at the very least, the WildStorm characters need their own universe.

20. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    But there is a difference between the examples you mentioned and Marvels latest approach. DC didn't do it throughout all of it's entire titles all at the same time. No mega event that caused a drastic change across it's main universe.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM