DC Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, May 31, 2011.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you. I love Silver Age DC and all of its complete ridiculousness, but I cannot read Golden Age stuff.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The better Golden Age DC stuff has the ridiculousness of Silver Age DC, but is a lot less dry.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  4. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This arrived today:

[​IMG]

It's cool but Amazon didn't ship it with any padding so the upper corners have been smushed, which has also bent the first 80 pages and last 50 pages to the comics themselves. Worse of all, Amazon can't exchange it for me, I can only return it for a refund.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've got one on order too.... I hope it gets here in decent condition.

7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

"New golden age of comics" lol, suurreee.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I do see younger people in the shop these days, but they're typically buying Manga. I rarely see kids buying comics. If they are buying them, they're the minority.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Manga is comics.

11. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    No, I know, but they're not american comics. I think there is a pretty big distinction between the two.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How about French comics? Or Italian comics? Or British comics? How come the only distinction anyone ever makes is between comics from anywhere in the world or Japan?

There's no difference. Writers and artists use words and pictures to tell a story in panels arranged on a page with word balloons. So what's the distinction? And by the way, Japan calls their manga "comics" too, so...

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I'm starting to read some DC titles after a 4-5 year absent and enjoying it so far. Rebirth to me is a nice change to restore the DC universe without another reboot.

With that said, I wanted catch up on one of my favorite titles as a. Green Lantern. Now this is a series that I took a very long hiatus since Emerald Twilight. Now I have a stack of books that I borrowed from a friend that pretty much covers Blackest Night to the present. Now I need a place to read them in peace. :) 

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You should start earlier than that. Blackest Night is where things started to come off the rails. Everything good in the Johns era came before that event. Maybe start from the Sinestro Corps War.

15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Actually yea, they're all different. American produced, big two comics aren't read by kids. They prefer the Japanese comics in the comics shop which is fine, but they're not reading Superman or Captain America or Spider-man. That's the distinction I was getting at. In 15 years will there even be room on the shelves for American comics when most kids aren't reading them. They're reading comics just not the comics we're reading.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who's "we"? If I list my 10 favorite comics of all-time, none are from DC or Marvel, one is Italian, four are Japanese, one from England, and one Belgian comic might squeak in at #10. I grew up with American comics, I love American comics, I had a collection of near 20,000 DC and Marvel comics prior to selling the majority off at the end of 2014, and I still read a ton of DC every week, but you probably wouldn't even begin to see any super-heroes on my list of all-time favorite comic series until somewhere in the 20s at the very highest.

Comics are comics.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    To anyone who's reading Rebirth I have a question to ask. I've heard that the DC universe is a lot like what it was before 52 happened now but are there still elements of 52 in Rebirth?

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much. It's technically still the New 52 universe, but they've done a better job of explaining how it exists in relation to the real DCU and they're folding a lot more classic elements back into the books. Tonally it feels very similar to DC before Flashpoint.

20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    "we" as in the people that are responding to the DC COMICS THREAD. I thought I could safely assume that you might read DC comics (hence the "we" statement). I guess I was mistaken. lmao. I also wasn't talking about your favorites. You took the conversation down an odd path, friendo.

You're arguing the semantics, and not the points i'm making. The point i'm making is that when I go to the shops. I don't see kids running to Spider-man or Supes. I see them running to Naruto or Bleach. I have a feeling in a few years that comic shops will only have Manga, and not american produced comics. That's it. I wasn't interested in talking about Belgian or English comics. I never brought those up in my initial comment anyway. And again, I never said Manga aren't comics.

Hell, I've already seen that shift in some places. Barnes and Noble have huge manga sections, and ever shrinking comics sections (i'm using manga as a way to distinguish it from american comics, I know they're both comics- why you'd even bring that up is beyond me)

Oh, and if they're all just comics. Why do they typically separate the two? It's almost if there is an obvious difference between the very similar products.

How much did you make selling your comics? I'm about at the tipping point myself.

Edit: I am relieved to know that Belgium has their own comics.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017