Customs: DBZ Scouter

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by McFlarene, Sep 17, 2012.

1. McFlarene

McFlarene Protector

I want to make my own Dragon Ball Z scouter, but I've never created something from scratch before, and I'm not sure where to start. I've looked up several how-to's across the internet, but a lot of them involve plastic-work, which I'm not familiar with at all. It would be idealistic for me to make it out of wood, since that is in my comfort zone, but I will have to work with plastic at some point, unfortunately, because the scouter has to be worn on my ear, so it has to be lightweight. Any suggestions? Here's a point of reference as to what I would like the scouter to look like, as well as a procedure commonly used to produce it.
    Blind Squirrel Props: Dragon Ball Z Scouter

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's bad ass, man. I would say they maybe like Styrofoam maybe?? It's easy to work with, light weight, and best of all, inexpensive if you mess it up, :lol . I think that would be your best place to start for something of this nature to be honest. Then once you get it figured out, you could take it somewhere to be molded, and you can reproduce it that way. Or, if you wanted, mold it yourself, but I don't have any clue how to mold Styrofoam. Barely know what I'm doing with molding plastic parts, LOL!

3. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly to me it looks really simple, 1. get a headset (cheap) but the kind that cover your ears commpletely, along the lines of this http://www.gaming-headset.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/the-tritton-ax-pro-51.jpg then just cut in half and you want to use the side without a mic. 2. get a cheap pair of sunglasses and one with a bigger lens preferably and color of your choice then cut in half again and from thier jsut figure out how to attach two together (Glue or sculpt) and use styrene/ sculpt for the details. as for how it will stay on your head is up to you.

4. McFlarene

McFlarene Protector

Thanks a lot, you guys! I really appreciate your input. I think I'm going with the Styrofoam idea.