DayZ

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blitz., Jul 23, 2012.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a small heads up to see if anyone else plays this mod for ArmaII?

If their were a few of us I was tempted to say we could meet up in game to try and play as a team.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about its like L4d only much more focus on staying alive in an open world so you need to eat, sleep and try and find supplies before a zombie kills you or just as likely you get hunted down by a fellow human

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I've been watching it, if I could afford Arma II I'd definitely get it, but I think the mod needs some tweaking, the zombies tend to be a little too fast for my tastes. I'd like to see the mod take on a more Walking Dead feel, in that the zombies are slower, more numerous, tend to travel and that you'd have to find somewhere to camp out and see how long you last. A lot of that is already in there, but I still think it needs tweaking.

3. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    I've heard about through the Rooster Teeth guys. I was thinking of buying Arma II just to get DayZ. But after hearing that it may be full feature of Arma III, I think I'll wait for that game.

It makes me wonder why we haven't had a zombie MMO yet. A year or two ago, it seemed like everyone and there mother used to try and tap into the MMO market. Yet I don't recall ever seeing a zombie MMO. And that would be perfect, especially nowadays with the Walking Dead's popularity.

4. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    That's what I have been hoping for, a zombie MMO, or at least something like an MMO. I think a Zombie MMOFPS would amazing, add in the choice to resort to theft, murdering and pillaging, allow players to band together, fortify buildings, fix cars etc, would make a fun game.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Theres an MMO that looks similar to Day Z due out this fall, It's called The War Z.
    http://thewarz.com/
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/t...l-shooter-mmo-with-strong-parallels-to-day-z/
    I haven't played DayZ in a while, I usually play around 7ish and thats when it starts to get dark in game. That and no longer spawning with a weapon kind of sucks.

Also, keep an eye on Amazon. I got Arma 2 CO for $15 a few weeks after DayZ really took off.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I got ARMA CO during the Steam sale just to try out DayZ. I gotta say, I know its in alpha and everything, but i am quite disappointed. I was kinda shocked at how much publicity this mod has, considering how rough it is to actually play the damn thing. The mod just rests on top of the ARMA expansion. No specialized menu screen or options menu for DayZ, other than different music on the game's start up. Once you finally find a server that is running your version of the game, you're not given any rundown on how to use your items, or how to control the game. That REALLY needs to be worked on.

Playing is also a pain in the ass. I really dont enjoy wandering around for 30 minutes just to hope to find an axe or a crowbar. Also when using these melee weapons, it really seems like I am not doing any damage to the zombies. The zombies just jump around all over me, and I can never really see what I am aiming for. :(  I also cant figure out how to chat with other players via voice chat, but maybe the other players are just ignoring me.

And I've not even talked about getting the game up and running. I had to update ARMA manually. I also had to update the anti-cheat engine manually, just so I dont get kicked from servers.

All this said, I understand that the mod is in alpha, but given how many people are talking about this, I thought that it would be a bit more user friendly at this point. Learning how to actually play has been a big time sink. As it is right now, its a real chore to play. The game has some really great gameplay underneath all that I've mentioned. I can see this getting really really fun with later updates and a bit of polish. Until then, I am just going to be looking at ZombiU videos with envy.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Game of the year. Hands down. Not even a contest.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You're missing the point.

I don't even play DayZ but know the whole game is about survival. Not tool tips and hand holding tuturials. You are thrown in the deep end and told to swim, drowning is the fun part.

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    try getting the Six Shooter kit six updater and six luncher it takes all the pain of updating and finding a server away

All I did way buy it in the steam sale fire up each game once to finish the install got the Six luncher and once it does the checks and installs your all ready to go it even filters out servers running different alphas.

and Recall has it right its not about being a bad ass out of the gate and often running away is a good plan. Melee is a pain typically I just wait for them to stop and swing away. and Voice chat is actually shunned for the most part unless its direct chat.

As for WarZ I will wait and see. The idea of safe towns for trading really seem to distract away from the feeling that your never safe.

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Use Six Launcher
    Watch a few tutorials online OR play with a buddy that already knows what to do.

My first game I jumped in with Bradders and he showed me how to navigate the controls, voice chat, etc. Once you know the basics, the rest is all about survival and making your own goals. The game isn't going to hold your hand and tell you what to do, but you also won't find quite the same experience anywhere else.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

What I love about DayZ is exploration. I love that I can wonder around and find these places and make it as dangerous as I want. In most games you just murder 20 fellows and move to the next area. Wondering into a town/city or seeing another player in the distance is the most tense thing I've ever done in a game.

Also, I play with a controller for getting around and killing zombies, then mouse and kb to get loots and stuff.

12. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Man, I played the crap out of this game once RoosterTeeth introduced it to me.
    Sadly, my computer died and my new laptop can't handle it.
    Really fun game, if you're up for time-consuming simulation. Once I got this game, I played it for around 10 hours streight.

13. Gigatron_2005

But there is a difference between "no hand holding" and a legitimately frustrating gameplay experience. The core of this complaint is that the game is still heavily based in ARMA 2. The game assumes that you are very familiar with how that ARMA 2 works. And on top of that, you're left in a world where it might take over an hour to get any sort of self defense for yourself, and even then, you just have a crowbar or an axe which seems to have awful hit detection.

Getting started in STALKER was more about survival and avoiding hand holding. You could figure out your controls easily just by going into the game's menu. It was still a whole lot of fun, even if you don't understand how everything works yet. Meanwhile, getting started in DayZ is almost analogous to getting started in Gentoo. I shouldn't have to make a blind guess as to which type of voice communication I have to use in order to talk to players around me.

14. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Considering this is a mod for ARMA II and not a stand alone game, I'd say that's a pretty reasonable assumption...

15. Gigatron_2005

Yeah, but the problem with that is ARMA's very steep learning curve, even with the game's hand holding. Since DayZ did not seem as involved (not a large vehicle or squad emphasis for example), I expected something a bit smoother to learn.

I should also note that after writing each of these rants, I have then logged in to play DayZ. So it is doing something right. I still cant believe that the mod keeps ARMA up on the top of Steam's sales charts when it is this rough around the edges.

16. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one thing I've come to like is the reaction to gun fire. CoD I'd never think twice or if its close I'd try and find out who fired but in DayZ.. drop, cover and run even if I have the best gun ever getting punked by a pistol can still happen.

Also shooting is really a double edged sword. Sure I will put down the zombie but more will hear the sound and come running so I stick with my trusty axe and just swing for the head (a 1 hit kill) just need to be sure I can patch myself up and eat incase i get hit

I actually think its cool to see a mod do so much for a game that never really was for the mainstream buyer it just goes to show mod support can boost sales even years after release and I hope some game studios and more so publishers see this and then back away from DLC as the only option and give out SDK's

17. Gigatron_2005

Where and how are you finding guns? I have played for hours at this point, and I have only found a single unloaded shotgun in a shed. I then got killed a minute later by a zombie that seemed to circle-strafe me to avoid my crowbar. :( 

18. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I downloaded it, but haven't got to start playing it because my pc sucks... Once I get a new computer (Which is soon) this game will most likely consume my life... Along with the Project Reality mod.
    I did play alittle... I was running away from 20 zombies with no weapons..... They followed me for miles.... that chase lasted at least 30 minutes.
    :lol 

19. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Ok,
    You can find guns just about anywhere, but the chances to spawn are different depending on location. Barns are alright for some simple weapons, and Convenience Stores can have guns and ammo. Industrial buildings tend to have melee weapons from my experience.

However, if you find that you need a gun to play this game, then you might re-evaluate how your playing. Guns are a last ditch solution. You should be sneaking or running unless you REALLY need to kill something. Abuse the AI and climb steep hills or run into buildings to slow down Zombies and lose them. Fighting Zombies outside is never a good idea, as that's where they have the best mobility.

20. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I kind of dislike the Zombie mobility from what I've seen in videos, I wish they were more like the Walkers from TWD, instead of being insanely fast outdoors then ridiculously slow in doors. I know it's in alpha now, so I'm sure some things will change by time the beta comes around.

Also I'm planning to get Arma III, I'd love to see Dayz get released for it at some point, would be amazing.