DaVinci Code is a boring mess? Critics say yes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, May 17, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Damn, just damn. I usually love Ron Howard flicks and he's usually applauded by critics. But the Code is getting plastered as being just plain ole' boring.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060517/en_movies_eo/19050

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/17/da.vinci/index.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

Currently 00% after 7 reviews. I was curious (though I never read the book), but now I can gladly wait until DVD. My wife is reading the book now and she can't believe how much exposition there is in it.

So with it being killed by just about everyone, is anyone actually going to brave a likely packed theater for a bore-fest? Did Ron just make a dud, or was it doomed from the start based on an overly difficult source material?

REMINDER
    And please, don't derail this with religious views and debate, keep it about the movie being good or bad and whether you plan to see it, etc.

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I MIGHT go see it its a big if I wanna read the book but I got such a backlog right now it seems easier to just go and see the flick then add another book on the pile.

I think another problem with the movie is hype its been hyped way too much and maybe people are experancing hype faitgue. Who knows

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    when I heard about it my mind was set to read the book, but never see the movie. I'm all Tom Hanks'd out anyway. What's with the hair?!

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Is it too soon to call this "Bonfire of the DaVincis"? Or is "Code of the Vanities" better?

Ron Howard, much as I am indebted to him for Arrested Development, has never been a great director. He's good enough, but the only reason "normal" people really know his name is because of his acting career. Basically, he does well enough to service a good script and good actors, but I've never found him good enough to elevate weaker material.

As for the religious stuff, I think the Church is going about it the wrong way. Protests helped Farenheight 9-11 and The Passion of the Christ make hundreds of millions of dollars. Brokeback Mountain actually got little in the way of protests, and its BO was decent, but not stellar.

Rather than complain about how TDC gets it "wrong", how about using it as an invitation to discuss the guy it's all supposed to be about? Instead of handing out flyers saying "don't see this film", hand out ones that say "want to learn more?"

5. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I really want to see it anyway... I read Angels and Demons and absolutely loved it... I couldn't put it down. My dad's reading DaVinci Code now... and I want him to hurry up... but I want to see the movie first now, since, obviously, the book will be better.

...and I hate how so many people get so worked up over a work of fiction. Sigh. Oh well.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it is all hype. I still have no desire to see it.

Notice how much hype the press is giving this and MI:3. MI:3 is reportedly mediocre (from what i've read) and apparently davinci code is bad too..

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

In fairness, Brown has claimed (at least at some point) that what he based TDC on is not fiction. That is where the sticking point is.

8. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

How is this a surprise to anyone? The book was a boring mess. It has to be one of the poorest written novels I have ever, ever read. It really is a piece of shit. The movie based on it is just following it along.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The book was a great read. I still want to see the movie, but do plan on waiting for DVD. To be fair, this was my original plan as the kidlets don't let the wife and I get out too much for movies anymore (I'm working on her to go see X3!).

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

There's a quip before the book begins that says, "These parts of the book are fact." He lists a few things. I'd need to look at them again, but most of it were just blemishes on the Church's desire to have a pristine appearance, as I recall. But I suppose you're right.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Damn... I enjoyed the book and hoped for a good movie adaptation... Guess not...:( 

12. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read the review in this mornings NYPost, and it was well recieved. I enjoyed the book and will definately be going to see the film.

13. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yesssss! Thank you!!! No one wants to believe me to save their time (and money). The book was utter crap, it was just one long (boring) chase scene and the style of writing was very amateur. Go pick up "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester for a "chase scene" novel to end all such novels. I couldn't put it down and I immediately read it a second and third time. Oh, and guess what? There's no controversy about it 'cause it's all fiction just like The Da Vanci Code".

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I'm glad I've never been one to listen to the reviews. I always watch the movie and make my own decision. So far I have enjoyed most of the movies that have been considered crap. Island for example, I loved it. As for the book, I loved it. Great read and very suspenceful. If the movie is anything like the book then I will enjoy it.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I watched one of those previous Davinci Code dvd films and can't remember what the hell they all said.

Probably cause I was getting ADHD real bad!

Im hoping RH makes it a little more interresting to absorb in.

16. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

Often critics are wrong about movies. Plus I think it matters most what each person as an individual thinks of the movie and not just these people who disect everything that goes on.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I try not to listen to critics too much. I just finished the book this weekend and I thought it was great. Even though it is fiction, it does make you think. My wife wants to go see the movie so we'll probably go see it this weekend. Its hard to get her to go see any movie so if she says she wants to go, I have to jump before she changes her mind.

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I'll see it first thing on Friday. TBH, i usually avoid Ron Howard films like the plauge. To me, mawkishness seems to permiate most of his work.

I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks either. (See mawkishness again)

I've not read the book, so i'm unsure what to expect.

19. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm not a big fan of Dan Brown not because of his topics he writes about, but because, while reading the books, they follow the exact same plot structure and each of the main characters are modeled after the same person, him.
    I'm not surprised the movie would be boring as the book was a bit boring.

20. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Never read this book, though I did read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" that book was a very good read and has a lot of detail and factual history in it regarding the templars, the kathars, as well as those who held influence over the church in years past.