David Kaye not in TF:Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Oracle_Aesir, Mar 29, 2010.

1. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

Well,considering that Kaye was after G1,we seem more tolerable about the 'ordeal' than with what's going on with Welker and WfC.It really shows the comparison from the die-hards to the casual fans.

2. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i was hoping that kaye would do prime that's sucks

3. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a loss. He became more Megatron than Welker did in the end.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

Disappointing to hear. Kaye is an awesome talent and it's a shame that they're not going to be using him at all.

5. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch... I agree but... ouch!

But for fans sake, is it possible that Welker could be a cameo in the series, I mean they tried for Beast Wars but maybe since this new series is made in the US it could be more likely... right?

True, I liked both his Prime and Megatrons. But hey, we can't always get what we want. If we could, then Animated would've have more than 42 freaking episodes...

jD001

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ouch. I don't agree at all because you're talking about two entirely different characters. One was the original, the latter merely held the title. So of course they're going to be performed differently. Welker's worked magnificently for its time and the type show G1 was. And in TFTM he was finally given opportunity to give a dramatic performance as Megatron rather than the cartoony version of the series and he nailed it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Kaye was fantastic as Megs in both BW and BM, but realistically it's not fair to compare the two because they are different characters and had different voice directors involved with very different approaches to voice acting.

No, it's frontpage news because a TFW staffer determined it to be so. I write for three sites and while this would definitely get a forum mention, it's not frontpage news. *Maybe* for a TF fan site it's frontpage news because I agree it's at least worth mentioning due to his association w/TF series, but from a journalistic standpoint it is not news.

Also, this is the same site that has frontpaged news items about a toy kite and Valentines Day cards. While I'm normally not as openly critical about TFW's coverage (because I do love this site and it's the *only* one I go to for TF news), I don't agree that a non-casting qualifies as news.

But if it's genuinely newsworthy and for the sake of consistency, why was it not frontpaged when it was learned that Welker was not involved in War For Cybertron?

It should have been edited for the sake of clarity. It's one thing to correct typos by your interview subject (that's why you get permission in advance to make sure it's okay or you send a final draft to your interview subject for approval prior to publication), but there should not be typos and factual errors in questions from the interviewer. It just screams "n00b."

Not necessarily. To my knowledge, all the US-produced TF series in the past (and no, Cyber Missions doesn't count) cast only SAG/union voice talent, of which Cullen is a member. He still works for SAG rates, although I believe there was a TF production a while back where his agent tried to negotiate a higher rate for him and thus why they didn't book him as Prime.

I don't understand. How is it that it's not right that he hasn't made more TV appearances? Have you considered that maybe Bell doesn't pursue on-camera work?

QFT. And Corey's a super-nice guy too. I imagine Corey will be involved in the new TF series in some capacity since he's so versatile.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Please stay on topic with this. If there are ever any questions over why something has gone up as frontpage news, you are more than welcome to PM me or whoever put the news up and discuss it with them.

Let's not clutter up the thread with discussion on site policy.

Personally, I thought it was interesting news for the exact fact Oracle_Aesir stated - that David has been a part of the cast for nearly 15 years playing the leading roles, and that the decision not to use him indicates a trend toward a clean slate / new cast.

But as I said, please don't take the thread off topic discussing our policy on what goes up on the front and what does not. My door is always open if you want to discuss anything like that.

8. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I suppose it's possible, I have no insider info on his salary demands.

Maybe it's just the fact that he hasn't voiced Optimus Prime for TV since the 80's that makes me think it's somehow beneath him. I'd love for it to happen, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Technically, that's incorrect because he voiced Prime in Prime's appearance on David Letterman's top 10. :bay 

But I doubt Cullen thinks it's beneath him, or he wouldn't still be reprising the role in the films and video games. And I've never heard him say even imply anything like that in interviews or convention appearances.

But because his voice is so closely associated w/ Prime, it does give his agent the ability to negotiate a higher fee for him to be booked to voice Prime. But as far as Cullen being "too expensive," I doubt it or Cartoon Network wouldn't still be hiring him to voice occasional promos for the network. He just may not be feasible for a TV series budget because of the status of such an iconic voice.

And my apologies to "So Furry" (Sol Fury?) for openly criticizing a staff member's preferences for frontpage news. And your point regarding the casting is both noted and relevant. I would agree that Kaye's not being cast for the new series does imply a "clean slate" on the part of the show's casting direction. I must add though that if that was your intention, it would've been nice to see it included in your in your original post. I wouldn't have disputed that as being frontpage news because it is a valid point.

Let's just hope that "clean slate" idea doesn't backfire on them like keeps happening with some of the DC Comics animated features. (Like casting three different voices for Batman in the last 2 years.)

Transformers Animated was in many ways a "clean slate" in regards to casting because many of the principal cast were first-timers for a TF series. Some fans are still complaining about Kaye as the choice for a younger Prime coming into his own, but I thought it was an interesting choice for the type character he was. It was also casting against type for Kaye, since TF fans were accustomed to hearing him as the villain.

As far as the new series goes, I'm just going to sit tight and wait for an official announcement before I form any opinion about the new series involving the voice cast. I actually already know of one confirmed voice, but I'm not at liberty to disclose that info.