Dating and you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matrixprime, Dec 31, 2011.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So being the introverted person that I am I started using Match.com to find someone so I wouldnt feel so alone. I met a girl and it went well until right before Christmas when she saw my collection. I tried really hard to keep it low key since I am not proud of the fact I still live at home. Within 2 days of finding out she split.

My two questions are how do you break the ice with women and two would it be better if I put my toys away for storage so I don't scare off any more potential girlfriends. Please note I've had only two relationships in my life and I was always the one asked out. I know nothing about the bar scene or clubbing or how to dance or any of that kind of stuff.

2. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I ask for gum. Works for me. I bring up collectin a lil later in. Not straight up I LIK TOIZ but kinda ease in geekiness, to were there comfy with it, then kinda say you still like em.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Well, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on romance, but I don't think that hiding stuff about yourself, toy collecting or otherwise, will really help. If you're forcing yourself to be Mr. Suave, they're only going to end up loving Mr. Suave, and not you.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wear tight outfits, then show them my collection.

5. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    that doesn't quite work as well for guys though....

pretty much this,
    Now it might be wise to, 'condense' what's on display, by putting things in storage. A small handful of figures is less intimidating than multiple sets of shelves overflowing.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    bitches know to respect the big daddy's toy collection, they know just to shut up and give the big daddy some lovin

:lol 

but in all seriousness, i make no attempt to hide who i am, if a girl wants to be with me they need to know the true me, I ain't gonna hide who i am

7. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL!

Seriously though I may have to put more in storage than I care too. The collection combined with the living at home seems to be like a repellant.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok OP, this isn't going to sound great, but I'm trying to be honest with you:

Collections aren't that "huge" to people as collectors seem to make them think. They're really and truly NOT. In fact, most are ok with it because it shows that the person has hobbies and interests rather than just being someone who's up and out in the street.

Odds are, there were likely other factors that were a turn off, and that shit was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I don't know how old you are, but 20's +, living at home is a "what the fuck" outside of extreme circumstances. So, that, on top of seeing that the person spends their money (and possibly a fair amount of money) on "unnecessary" stuff like toys can show someone who doesn't just live at home, but has no will or want to NOT live at home anytime soon.

Now, as for hiding your collection... uhhhh no. If I made a profile on a dating site, collecting would be one of the things I list about myself.

You're not going to please everyone with who you are no MATTER who you are, so at least being straight up from the get go, when you find someone who digs ya', you'll know she's really into YOU and YOUR interests. Don't be a faker.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was going to post my own thoughts, but you should just reread TJ's post. He speaks real talk.

10. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is going to make it sound worse but I'm almost 30...

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

try what ilovedinobot said and wear tight outfits that enhances your bulges in your crotch area. ladies love big packages.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TJ speaks the truth!!

The only time I hid my collection was in college.

It's hard having to explain why you have action figures while your drunk with a naked chick at 2:30 am:lol 

13. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me thinks though for the same of ever wanting to be with another naked chick again I need to start storing the bulk of it. Finding a place of my isn't a bad idea either the only problem is that most places around me charge 800-900 to rent. Fuck I might as well buy a small house.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, there you go. I mean your life, and lifestyle are your choice, but you just have to recognize that there are things that can potentially turn someone down in terms of thinking of you as someone they can see a long term relationship with.

And, at our age (I'm 29), let's be realistic... we're all either hitched and settled up, or trying to get there... unless you're one of the ones still in "party mode". SMH.

But realistically, I'm engaged, and about to be down that path, but I've found that even talking to female coworkers and the like, once they find out that I collect, they're normally like, "Oh really!? I have a TON of books!" and start talking about things they collect and stuff too. It's actually a neat icebreaker.

Lies. Girls like em small. Talk the whole night about your micro-cock, and it's like giving yourself a free pass to home plate. :lol 

15. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    We TJ post open and close @ the same time......

You should never be ashamed of you are....and you can get a small house for 8-900$....its a recession...

16. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    If I had a GF, I'd hide it all. I don't want to risk almost getting kissed, but then a DoTM Mudflap falls out of a box and ruins the moment.

But besides, my date life is like Lady Gaga's singing career. I never had one, but I try to act like I do!

17. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even if I'm making friends I tell them

1. I'm a Christian
    2.I'm a Vehicle buff
    3. I'm a serious Toy collector
    4. an occasional anime Buff
    5. and a Casual Gamer

If they can't respect that then forget them. They're not worth my time trying to forc a relationship...not that I've ever had one :/

18. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

MatrixPrime, if it makes you feel happy, I live at home and I just turned 30. Its also because I don't have a job now and I am returning to school. However, me and my bro might find a new place soon, but I would like to have a job first which I am struggling with. I had one friend so far giving me lip about my collection but everyone else seems cool with it.

Its also a Hawaii thing. Here in Hawaii, we are nothing like the mainland USA. If we are single, we tend to stick with family until we get a serious partner or get married. So here its different because we are more "Ohana" oriented. It also doesn't help that Hawaii is really expensive so I don't recommend moving out on your own until you get hitched and both of you having at least $13+ per hour jobs. The jobs here don't pay enough but power to you if you could get the money plus housing on your own. So it depends on circumstances.

Sorry to hear about your date. I hope it really wasn't because of your figures, but I guess it shows she wasn't the one.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I have no problem breaking the ice with girls. But most of my friends are girls so I have a problem in recent years to find out if the girl is interested only in friendship or more. I don't know why it went so tricky. 10 years ago it was easier. Once I've kissed the girl the rest is easy. But how do you kiss a girl if you don't know what the girl wants? I mean girls are sooo open nowadays, I can't really tell anymore. Big problem is, when you have sex with a girl and thought she wanted only sex too and then she calls you everyday because she fell in love with you, just because of sex...

On the other hand, I don't think there is some rule that counts for every girl. Some are this way, some the other way. You have to find out for yourself. Maybe try looking for a girl with similar interests or a hobby similar to collecting Transformers. The possibility is much higher that she won't have a problem with you collecting Transformers if she has a hobby for herself that's not quite common.

20. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

You match my sentiments exactly. Aside from being a vehicle buff.

Don't hide your collection, and don't be ashamed of it. If there's one thing I do know about relationships, it's that girls don't like guys who aren't confident in themselves. Girls are attracted to strong guys (and I don't mean physically). You need to be confident!

But that's my :2c: . Like Ace, I've never had a relationship either, so take this as you will.