Darren Aronofsky taking over "Batman" after Nolan?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, Jan 18, 2011.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Published on January 16, 2011

Christopher Nolan may be finishing up his Batman trilogy with The Dark Knight Rises, but some may not know that Darren Aronofsky had plans to reboot our silent guardian and watchful protector. Long before Batman Begins, the director was asked by Warner Bros. to revive the franchise.

He came up with a “hard, R-rated Batman” and what “he pitched them was Travis Bickle meets The French Connection - a real guy running around fighting crime. No super-powers, no villains, just corruption.” There is even a script review of the thing, but we all know Nolan did a great job on his own (thus far). With a franchise this popular for WB and Nolan saying he is finished after TDKR, they may to put the caped crusader in another directors hands. After his superhero experience with The Wolverine and his past interest, could they ask Aronofsky to return?

In a recent interview with ClothesonFilm (via AICN) Aronofsky let a little hint spill. Read it below:

CoF: Speaking of which, you’ve worked in the comic-book medium before, with your adaptation of The Fountain (2006), and the tie-in book to Pi. Do you ever feel like realising your vision of something like the Batman story that you were working on as a comic book?

DA: Well, we’re actually doing one. It hasn’t really been announced, I don’t know if I should give you the scoop! But we’re getting there. We’re doing a comic book of a script that’s really hard to make and we’re going to do a comic version first and see what happens…

It seems like if you come up with an original script, in Hollywood it’s not as effective as a comic book. It doesn’t even have to be successful as a comic; I mean how successful were Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim? Those were fringe comics, right, and they were basically turned in to big pictures.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but i'm not sure if they really should make Batman just a guy who fights crime.......

Wasn't the whole point of the Nolan films about what if a guy could pursue being a superhero......however it only works if he has a crap load of money, training around the world and have a badass british butler.

I wished they would go to a neo-noir look kinda homaging the Tim Burton style or do the Dark Knight Strikes Back.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think when he says "just a guy" he means no super powers, a mortal. (which is what Nolan's Batman already is)

Batman's physical training and mental discipline are something he worked towards, not super powers.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of that jazz really means anything, anyways, because it was all part of his pitch before Nolan made Begins.

If he were to take up the helm now, it wouldn't necessarily need to be a "reboot" like this article mentions, because Nolan already laid that groundwork for him.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They are planning a possible TV series for after 3 right now.

6. One

One Well-Known Member

I say if he can make a good batman film with out bat suit nipples im all game.

7. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Please no.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I'll wait to see how his Wolverine movie turns out before passing judgment. If Wolverine Origin 2 turns out to be amazing then I think he's qualified to take on any comic book franchise out there. I am sure WB will be watching that movie closely to see if he has what it takes to do a comic hero movie as well.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about an R-rated Batman movie. I honestly can't imagine a Batman film being much more violent/dramatic/whatever than the Nolan films without bordering on unnecessary.

Really? That could be really, really awesome.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The Christopher Nolan trilogy is enough big screen Batman I'll ever need. I'm bored of reboots and everything repeating itself so I doubt I'll watch any "new" incarnation.

11. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I'm okay with this so long as it's not a reboot.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "reboot" mentioned was supposed to take place after Batman & Robin. Aronofsky's pitch was done before Nolan stepped in.

If he were to take the helm, especially if the third movie turns out to be just as good as the last one, there's a pretty good chance that he'll be pressured to keep it within the same universe, and they seem to fit within his sensibilities anyways.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    for some reason I read that as Dan Ackroid taking over Batman after Nolan...

That would be different to say the least.