Dark X-Men

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Kickback, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I thought this deserved its own thread.

So Marvel, on the 2nd, introduced a teaser image of the Dark X-Men. Like Dark Avengers, the cast isn't quite who they first appear to be.

Blog@Newsarama Blog Archive Marvel unleashes — Dark X-Men

So quick thoughts:

Professor Xaiver = Sebastian Shaw. If not for the giant bushy eyebrows, the shadowed "hint" of sideburns.
    Emma Frost = Looks more like a Madelyn Pryor to me.
    Namor = ??? Some people are suggesting Northstar.
    Wolverine = Daken.
    The Omega Guy = Omega Red, at least in my eyes. Same symbol, with white on red.
    Angel = Mimic. Red eyes.
    Cloak = Exodus (WOOHOO!)
    Dagger = ?

Discuss.

2. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I'm getting tired of this Dark Iron Man, Dark Spider-Man, Dark Wolverine stuff...

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Dark X-Men??? Eghh...

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    While I think the name is incredibly unoriginal, if they manage to make it even remotely as decent as Dark Avengers. Sign me up.

Professor X - Magneto
    Emma Frost = Polaris
    Namor = Namor.
    Wolverine = Daken.
    The Omega Guy = Avalanche
    Angel = Mimic.
    Cloak = Exodus
    Dagger = Lady Mastermind

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    LAme. Marvel seems to take one idea per crossover then run with it till you are sick of it. Though a Marvel Vs Dc would be interesting now as 90% of comics fans would want DC to kick MARVELS butt,(hey their almost all bad guys now)

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Dark is the new Young.

Young, of course, was the new New.

In any case, I'll buy it as I am a loyal follower of the X-brand.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Leave it to Marvel to just run every idea that they have into the ground. This just looks stupid IMO. I can understand Dark Avengers because it's the bad guys coopting the image of the popular good guys. But the X-men aren't liked by the public so why in the wide world of sports would villains want to pose as them.

Next, Dark Fantastic Four, Then Dark Warriors, Then Dark Defenders.

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    And?

I'veread Detective Comics featuring Batman, Batman, Legends of the Dark Knight and several other Batman comics. Does it matter if the books are quality? Dark Avengers if better than the other Avengers books out right now.

Thunderbolts did this many years ago and it worked and it works in Dark Avengers hopefully this will be of the same caliber.

Anyway, I believe Fraction stated this isn't going to be a book just something that spins out of/into the last chapter of the Messiah storyline.

9. smkspy

But thats the problem. The quality is almost never up to par with the original idea, and I think Dark Avengers is ass. A terrible idea by marvel that makes no sense IMO. And if Fraction is writing is it, then I have very little faith in the quality. Uncanny is horrible since he took over for Brubaker.

You like this "Dark" stuff fine, but IMO its lame and Marvel should actually invest quality into the rest of their books rather than the "Next new hot thing that we gotta read" whose only purpose is to set-up the next mega-crossover event.

And I have no fucking idea what your trying to get to with your Batman comparison. Is it that the Batman books have done a similiar theme and worked? If so, it worked because the theme stayed within the Batman family and didn't expand into the rest of DC Universe beyond an occasional issue here or there (I'm thinking No Man's Land). Marvel's Dark stuff is expanding beyond the Avengers Universe into the X-Men Universe. What works for one family doesn't always work for another.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The Dark Reign stuff is pretty rad, actually, dunno what the X-Mans gotta do with it, but I don't read it so I don't rightly care :3

11. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Matter of opinion I didn't enjoy the Brubaker stuff at all. I dropped the book and picked it back when Fraction signed on and have enjoyed it since.

I don't know what this "dark stuff" is. There's one Dark book. Dark Avengers. Dark X-Men is team. Not a book. Dark Reign isn't a crossover, it's more of an era, a label to the books. They don't explicitly tie in to anything it's theme used to tie the universe together.

I'm saying there's several Batman books that are/were shitty and were published into the ground. Look at Azral it was essentially Dark Batman. Robin is Young Batman. Batman and the Outsiders is Batman and Edgy Friends.

The Batman books have tied into other areas of the DCU over the years, OMAC, No Man's Land, Joker's Last Laugh, etc. The results have varied but I think it's stupid when something affects the entire universe that some areas are left unaffected. Hated Last Laugh but it made sense for it crossover into other books.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about expanding families here. The Dark X-Men haven't even made an appearance yet. And it has worked in the past since New Avengers and New X-Men were both Marvel's A+ titles. It's just showing some cohesion in the universe.

I appreciate you're quick to judge it but it seems kind of presumptuous.

12. smkspy

I won't abandon the two main x-titles. Those are life long books no matter the quality for me. I enjoyed Brubaker's "The Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire" arc, but everything after "Messiah Complex" has been downhill fast IMO.

I didn't say it was a crossover, but build up for the inevitable crossover. But look at all the "Dark" books being solicated for the previews. Sure, many of them are minis right now, but that's probably quick to change with the slightest success, which isn't dependent on quality.

I think there is a difference between once good books that lose quality over time, and "marketing themes" that are meant to milk a franchise for the short term. Marvel has been pretty good though in recent years about seperating Avengers and X-men universes. House of M, Civil War, and Secret War for the most part kept the majority of the characters seperate from each other when IMO their involvement would have made more sense than their inclusion into Dark Reign.

I think you're just being argumentive for the hell of it now. You know exactly what I mean when I mentioned expanding an idea meant for one family of books into another family of books.

Am I taking liberties with my opinion based on not even reading this yet? Sure, but common on, this is comics(Marvel comics at that). We do this with everything that is solicited because more often than not it's well deserved. Just like movie video games, 90% that the big two massively hyped up is crap. Don't blame me for being weary of the hype machine, blame Marvel and DC for producting crap sold as gold time after time after time.

13. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. You hear us, Quesada? THIS is what we bloody want!

Makes sense... The Real Wolverine was on about three teams at a time, it's about time his son lived up to the name!

14. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I reference everyone back to Quesada and what he said about crossover books.

Without a crossover, books have drops in sales. With crossovers, book sales stay consistent. Thus, because you people buy all these books, they will continue to do them.

15. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just to clear something up here... Was Quesada referring to to the main Crossover titles, or the tie-ins through the othe titles (IE, Secret Invasion 1-8, as opposed to the FF/X-men/Avengers tie ins)? I personally couldn't have cared less for the main SI story, but I'd like to think asking people to drop their favorite titles just because they tie in to another story they don't particularly like is, despite the hate, quite a tall order for the average fan. Even if they settle for the trades, it's still sales in Marvel's eye.

16. smkspy

What you mean...you people? lol. (sorry couldn't resist the set-up)

[​IMG]

I stopped buying crossovers after Civil War (I will make an exception for Blackest Night). Nor do I reward books that insult their readers (Amazing Spider-man). Though, I agree that the big problem is people that complain about crossovers yet continue to buy them. Comic readers have to realize that the continued business practices of variant covers, multiple printings, and mega-events over consisent quality storytelling remains with them. If we don't buy the product then Marvel will not continue to support these practices. Sadly, it is hard for us to say no to our long time favorites (myself included).

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    but dark is so kewll11oneone!!!!111783

18. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

It's simple logic really. "The Dark Night" movie makes mega bucks. Next thing you know every marketer on the planet is preaching "Dark" to anyone willing to buy it.

Or...maybe the age of the anti-hero is finally coming to an end. When heroes got borring, the anti-hero was born. Now, it seems anti-heroes have run their course which leaves villians as the likely replacements. Whatever, I'll just ride the wave until that runs its course as well.

At least they can't do a Dark X-Force, HAH! I can't see how you possibly make that any darker.

19. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Dark Knight, for starters :) 

Second, I doubt that's the reason behind this. "Dark Reign" is fallout from Secret Invasion and Civil War, namely Iron Man being blamed for pretty much the entire thing because he's inept. The "Dark Reign" storyline seems to have a bunch of groups rising up to "take the place" of the regular superheroes. Thus Dark Avengers, and now Dark X-Men.

Though, if the Dark X-Men lineup appears to be what it is (Sebastian Shaw, Namor, Daken, Mimic, Exodus) it's a chance for some AMAZING characters that have gotten NO LOVE (EXODUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to have some time to shine.

I'll give it a chance. It might actually get me to pick up X-Men again for the first time since ... um ... 2000.

20. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

geezus, I can't even claim keyboard error on that since I capitalized the N, lol.

Anyway, what you said still supports my second theory. I'm simply saying its just a progression of trend. Sure it may be fallout from the events of Civil War and Secret Invasion, but only because it was intended that way. Marvel could have been planning to make the shift in political power from super heroes to super villians the way they just did for years and then decided that the best way to accomplish that was through the events of the aforementioned crossovers.

Whatever, one could speculate all they want, regardless I still see an ever growing trend of "Darkness" ranging from videogames to movies and anything you can think of in between.

Like you said though, its a terrific opportunity for the NO LOVE characters to get their time in the spotlight for once. I'll keep watch.