Dark Scorponok

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Namekjohn, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Namekjohn

Namekjohn Namekimus Prime

News Credits:
    okay Im not realy a big fan of repaints, but if hasbro keeps this up i may change my mind.

This figure Just looks alone is in my opinion better than the orginals.

The black,red,goldtrim all seems to fit perfectly.

and added the cyberkey gimick which pops the gun turents on his tail out.

other than that same figure, same transformations,

Plus the fact i got him at 22 on sale at target lol

Well worth the price. :thumb  :thumb 

2. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of nowhere, the ratchet-joint on the right knee went limp on mine. And I only had it for a week and only transformed it a few times.

3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Energon Scorponok was a figure I kept meaning to pick up. I'm glad I never got around to it, because I like the colors on Cybertron Dark Scorponok much better.

Cons first, since I like the figure and want to end with the good stuff
    - hair-trigger sounds! I put the tab back in asap. Sounds are nice and varied, but they go off if you so much as look at the guy!
    - a little less articulation than I'd like, though it's reasonable. Very stiff ratchets on the knees. It would be nice if the shoulders swivelled where they attach to the chest rather than just at the upper arm. The legs get in the way of the claws to some extent.

Pros:

- Nice homage to the original, down to the claws as hands, tail cannon, and the visor over the eyes.
    - Interesting vehicle concept, a earth-mover type vehicle that is shaped like a scorpion. Much more interesting and original than a transmetal or technorganic scorpion would have been.
    - This guy looks big and tough. Very wide and blocky feeling design. He's meant to be a powerhouse as well as intelligent, and he looks it.
    - tons of detail, moving pistons, nice use of gold trim, translucent plastic looks great with light behind it.
    - third mode is nice. More of a bonus than a reason to get the figure.
    - I like the addition of the cyber key gimmick. Like the flight mode it's a nice addition rather than essential, but it feels as if I got a bit more with this figure than I would have with the Energon version.

I like it a lot. Good homage and good figure. Well worth the money. :thumb 

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is also the only figure that can use all three of the minicon, cyberkey, and energon chip gimmicks.

5. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Remarks: Dark Scorponok is a repaint with some minor design changes of Energon Scorponok. Since I've already reviewed both the original as well as the Botcon repaint Double Punch, I'll keep this relatively short. Dark Scorponok has a (you guessed it) darker paintjob than his predecessor Energon Scorponok. His tail was also modified to include a Cyberkey slot. Otherwise he is the same figure with two excellent and one rather weak mode (the jet mode). I like his paint job a tad better than that of the original, but it still pales compared to the sheer awesomeness of Double Punch's.

Dark Scorponok's sole in-media appearance was in the "Balancing Act" comic published by the Transformers Collectors Club. After having been killed by Megatron in Energon, Scorponok was revived by the dark energies of the Unicron singularity as a spark-eating zombie. He was one of numerous Transformers who got to beat up Sentinel Maximus before being destroyed by Cybertron's automated defenses. As a toy Dark Scorponok is nothing more and nothing less than a Scorponok repaint, the added Cyberkey slot doesn't really make it any worse or better. Bottom line: an excellent mold, you should own at least one version. No real need for all three, though, unless you're a maniac like me.

Rating: B+

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'd forgotten how much I love this figure, such a gorgeous deco!!:drool: 

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This has GOT to be a Necrothread record...

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty sure someone could break it if they wanted ahah, but its probably better than starting a new one, especially for something like this. Also, Dark Scorponok's awesome. :) 

9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Well Dark Scorponok IS a zombie after all.:lol 

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, and like 5 years from now, someone should do it to the purple Cliffjumper.

11. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    When is the add on head set arriving?