Dark Reign

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Newsarama.com : Marve' Reveals Dec.-Feb. 'Dark Reign' Solicitations
    read the comments section I haven't seen this much complaining since One more day.

It's just yet another crossover. Oh and the titles now cost $3.99 an issue. There are a lot of unhappy people. If marvel keeps this up they are going to lose a lot of readers. I think some of the ideas aren't bad, but they should stick to stories for individual books and stop crossing over everything. Look at how good Captain America and Nova are.

2. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    This $4 an issue thing is what's going to finally make me quit collecting. I'm already down to 4 books a month (it was around 20 2-3 years ago) because of it.

Thank goodness my moral compass points due South when it comes to torrents... :D 

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If $3.99 does come, then I'm gone. But this seems to be over-reaction and nothing more. New Avengers solit at $3.99 seems more like a misprint. None of the other titles have increased except for issues with larger number of pages.

But yeah, another crossover boo!

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Oh it's coming, and that may not be a misprint.

2009 is not going to be kind to Marvel comics (or DC either), mark my words.

Speaking of, anyone go see Punisher tonight ;) 

5. smkspy

Its definitely coming, but I don't see the evidence that this is the start of it yet.

Also, its very unlikely that Marvel would test the price hike on New Avengers, one if its better selling titles. Now if it were Ms. Marvel, Thunderbolts, or even the War Machine series then yeah I'd believe it alot more.

6. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney TFW2005 Supporter

Marvel is doing it because these cross-overs have been huge "cash cows" that have been selling books: House of M, Civil War, Avengers: The Initiative(I think I spelled that right?), World War Hulk, Seceret Invasion, and now Dark Reign. I guess Quesada thinks it's easier than making everyone at Marvel be creative enough to keep writing fresh new individual stories for all the titles out there on a monthly basis when they can write a smaller piece that ties into a bigger Bendis story.

P.S. $3.99 is rediculous. I can't afford books any more. I guess I'll have to buy more TFs to fill the void.

7. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Mine, too. I'd be incredibly poor otherwise, and missing out on some great stories. I'm buying only a few books a month (Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, TMNT and Transformers: All Hail Megatron... oh and Final Crisis whenever it comes out), but I'm reading a helluva lot more than that.

If the big companies would do an online deal where you can view a comic once, one time only, read it now and then never again for a really small charges (IE 25-50 cents) with the option of keep a digital copy for you and only you for more if you felt it was worthy of re-reading (IE 1-2 dollars more) they might rope people into the digital realm of comics. Most books aren't even worth re-reading let alone spending 4 or 5 bucks a pop on them to read once.

Just my two cents is all.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Dark Reign - ehhh....pass

too much crossovers going on and it seems like its every month now which makes reading to keep in touch suckier.

as for price, yeah the latest Previews show that some titles are at the $3.99 mark (i just noticed Incredible Hercules and Hulk) while others are still $2.99 yet (like the X-Titles)

but if they do go all $3.99, there'll be a lot of titles getting canned from my pull list (i'm already canning a bunch but this will make it even more).

So far keepers (even if they hit the $3.99 mark) are: Fables, Jack of Fables, House of Mystery, and Air

9. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Well, testing (and this ain't a test either, even if sales go down they're not gonna go back down in cost once they go up, they never do) a price hike on a better selling title is the only way they would do it (other than just a flat out across the line hike at the same time - which it looks like what they are sort of doing anyways. #1 issues and post whatever-crossovers get the hike). I'm not sure why you think they'd test it out on the lower tiered books that have enough trouble selling already, it doesn't really make any sense, yeah?

Hey, people already barely buy this book, let's raise the price and see what happens then!

Nah. ;) 

10. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

My local comic shop has had a lot of cancellations of books due to The Economy. And Marvel thinks raising the price is going to somehow make things better?

We're not out of the woods yet, Mr. Q

11. smkspy

Because thats the way price hikes happened in the past. Lower selling titles always get the hike first before better selling titles. Look at how long the main x-books, FF, Avengers, and Amazing Spider-man stayed at $1.95 before going $2.25, then stayed $2.25 while others increased to $2.99.

Sorry but you got it backwards my friend.

And several titles in the late 90s when back down from $1.99 to $1.75 for a short while (I'm pretty sure Uncanny and Ghost Rider were two of them). So, its not like they couldn't go back down if an across the board increase fails. If reaction is bad enough the books will go back down.

Though someone please post a link to the entire solits for this month (and any articles about an increase). I'd love to see them all to tell if a price is indeed happening. I'm just not seeing so far based on the Dark Reign solits.

I agree that a hike is coming though. Its been rumored for years now. If this is it however, its a strange way for Marvel to proceed given hikes in the past have never happened this way, and if this is the way Marvel is doing it then its really fucking low for them to target their best selling titles. I can understand lower selling titles because loyal fans are usually willing to pay extra to save a title. Hell, its usually the reason and open door for price hikes.

12. doubledumbassonyou

doubledumbassonyou Well-Known Member

I've cut down a lot already (getting married will do that to a man).

Here's what's staying (Marvel-wise):

Iron Fist, Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil

Everything else:

who gives a shit.

13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    For me it's Ultimate Spider-man, Daredevil, and Captain America. I'm picking up the Nova trades, and a lot of old stories in trade, I can't stand most of the new ones. DC is getting more of my money these days, but I'm about to drop a few titles there as well. Batman as long as Morrison is writing it for instance.

14. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to take your word for some of this, because I am lazy and have a bad memory. That said, I do remember a few #1 issues leading the charge of the newer, higher prices in recent years, which is what I assumed they were doing here.

Either way, bad idea when the new hike does happen, and clearly going to put a huge dent in the market overall for books that barely break 15k a month anyways.

15. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ah hahaha... welcome to what the rest of the world suffers. I generally pay anyhere from $6-8 for a new Marvel or DC comic and have for years.

Pretty shitty cost considering you can read them in 5 minutes. That's one thing I've loved about the recent Avengers titles, they've gotten wordier and take a efw extra minutes to read.

16. OmegaScourge

well, there are a few titles that are getting canned.

She-Hulk and New Exiles are two to name...plus Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. And i'm sure there will be a bunch more to follow.

Yet even though Amazing Spider-Man may sell below 15K (per issue) a month, they will continue this Brand New Day crap.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Because Quesadilla refuses to admit he's wrong, or could make a mistake. They actually have one of my favorite Spider-Man writers Roger Stern coming back, and I'm afraid of the editorial mandates he may be under. He married them in the first place. But If any one can make it interesting again he could.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

New Exiles is shit anyways. I try to read it, but its just complete garbage. Its filled with characters that I don't know and don't care about. Gambit as the son of Namor? Mystique as a man? Nope. Don't give a shit.

19. OmegaScourge

yeah, i noticed that too...

Blink went away, Nocture left the regular universe...lame Gambit and Mystique. Kitty was ok though.

the only thing i liked was the Sabretooth/Psylocke connection...thought they'd work well as a team.

instead of canning it, i wished they'd just replace the writer. oh well, maybe in the future, when things get better they can bring the title back.

20. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I may stop buying some titles monthly all together and just wait for

1) a trade or preferably a hard cover to be released
    2) to find all those unsold issues in the dollar boxes @ local shows
    3) nothing, just drop the title period