Dark of the Moon Voyager Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red leader, Feb 12, 2011.

1. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance of you making a tutorial for this mod?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    So I picked up this guy, and I just opened him up.

When I first saw pictures of this figure, I hated it! I hated how inaccurate it was compared to the previous ROTF versions. However, now that I have it in hand, I can now say, with confidence - it's still pretty damn inaccurate. But for some reason, I really like it! It's just a fun toy to fiddle around with, and it looks pretty cool too. The fact that mine has pretty much no QC issues at all helps too.

In summary, it sucks as a representation of movie Optimus, but it's still a cool toy.

3. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ That's an opinion I can respect & was pretty close to how I felt about TFTM Voyager OP - but I still hated his arms & the backpack.

I want to like this figure & the Takara mold is closer to winning me over, but I think I'll just pick up the Deluxe figure this go round...

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I......I....I Just dont like how it looks.

I guess as a straight up TOY, sure, win. But as an Optimus Prime, That has changed and evolved many many times, This is just one that I dont care for. I looked at it in the box. I really wanted to spend some money, But, I just couldent do it.

The pic with Battle Blades ROTF next to this one cements it for me. Yes, colors would be great on BBOP, that this one has (Mabye that new Walmart 2 pack has BBOP with these colors?!?! I dunno)

I mean...Its almost the same damn design, But why in the hell does it look SOO different?!??
    Fenders on ankles...check..
    Funky silver two toed feet...Uh-huh.
    Verticle lines to simulate smoke stacks..Got em..
    Truck Parts make up Chest and upper body...Yea..its there.

Its not really all that different a design from ROTF, but for some reason it looks SO far from the other movie incarnations it feels wierd..

BBOP4LIFE

I kinda snorted laughing at myself...BBOP4LIFE

Thanks for the review

5. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Looks OK.

Takara Buster Prime is really tough to beat...

I'd like to see a dark repaint... Or a Decepticon truck?

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Got this guy last night. I remember the controversy this figure stirred up months back. Nonetheless, the figure grew on me and I was anxious to find him in stores.

I have not transformed him yet. Just posed him in bot mode. It's a pretty fun figure, what throws me off the most is how small his chest, or rather, chest armor is. Has his torso been bigger all the proportions would not seem off at all. Peaugh mentioned this a while back.

The light piping is excellent, range of motion is pretty good. You can barely sling his blaster underneath his arms because it's so big. I like the mechtech feature, looks cool. The solar panel details are great.

The figure could have used more silver paint. Add that, with a substantially larger torso, and I think nearly all of the complaints and animosity towards this figure would be gone. The small torso gives him a FAB-esque silhouette, a bigger torso would've made him look more heroic and much less kiddified. Very durable, fun to play with, and worth picking up, but could've been better. 7/10 for me.

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    1. The swivel hinges on each side of his chest make it seem like a smaller torso.
    That's why I don't really like swivel hinges which don't sit flush with the overal shape of any particular shape design.

2. The torso looks smaller because mainly, OP's legs have been extended ; the reason for that = Megatron, who has grown thanks to his new altmode ( cab + tanker trailer )

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Even so man, it is a smaller torso overall. Just imagine it with a substantially bigger torso all around, and to me, the look becomes more balanced. I realize there is a reason for the way it turned out, maybe the smaller torso enables a less obtrusive alt mode, I don't know.

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats what it is for me...its small, and all the details seem THERE, just crammed into a small section, that throws off the look, pretty bad for me..

10. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Like stated before by a few people, and I totally agree with, he's a great toy, but bad representation of Optimus Prime. His arms are pretty badly hindered by the transformation. The legs are pretty awesome though. I like the way they slide and bend to transform to make those big honking legs. He's got a very heavy set of legs too, so if you want to have him blasting something with his BFG, they can handle it. The back kibble looks kind of strange on a prime toy, but isn't bad. You can fold them down to where you can't see them from the front too. There is actually some decent paint detail on Primes head and chest. It looks pretty good, but there just isn't enough of it to cancel out that crappy gray plastic seen throughout the figure. His mechtech gun is really cool. It doesn't do much other than being a massive BFG. The transformation isn't bad at all. The legs are awesome, the arms kind of suck. Things tend to have issues staying in place in alt mode if you are rolling it around or anything like that.

So, after all that, if you decide to pick him up, you'll notice that he's a great transformer, but a poor version of Prime.

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm quite pleased with my ROTF leader, which is why I didn't pick up the Battle Blades version (though at times, I wish I had... I think I'll nab it if I run across it again). Still, I like the look of this guy, even if he isn't super accurate. Why the heck am I feeling like I want a Huffer repaint? ;) 

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Transformed him(albeit a bit incorrectly) today for the 1st time. Pretty fun transformation, clever and neat without feeling stupidified. Kids shouldn't have any problem transforming him.

13. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ....I saw this guy and he was too tiny for $20

I'll buy him when he's on sale for $12

Or if they sell the Trailer ver

14. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great transformation, by far the easiest OP I've tried to transform from the movie-verse. I wish Hasbro would have painted the wheels silver like previous versions. I was surprised to see some of the panel gaps in truck mode, especially the back of the cab/sleeper area and hood area.

The panels on the top of the vehicle have me intrigued, are they solar panels for operations in deep space? I also noticed during transformation they are present on the knee protectors of 'bot mode and the backside of the chestplate. The large fuel tanks and rockets on the rear of the truck/heel area suggest a space tie-in.

Now onto 'bot mode--
    OP is beefed up and looks like he's ready to kick some 'Con butt. The mechtech cannon really compliments the design, finally a gun big enough the Autobot leader. Sliding the lower arm solar panels up adds some armor. Great color scheme with the darker gray, red, and blue.

Definitely recommended! Makes me want to get another one, either Fireburst or Takara with trailer.

Edit: you can update older OPs with the mechtech weapon: Cybertron deluxe, Classics voyager, War for Cybertron "Generations" deluxe, movie 1 voyager (just use side port on BFG)

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've had this guy for three days and the best review I can give is that I'll be returning him to the store tomorrow
    There are just not enough pros for this toy
    Funky bot
    Funky truck mode
    Funk forearms
    Giant legs
    Tiny torso
    If this was a new character I could let it slide but the toy feels no real role in my collection. Would have been much happier with battle hooks prime and a remolded chest. Oh well $20 more for Monday morning

16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    The right forearm on my Prime just shattered into pieces. First his hand popped off and wouldn't stay in its wrist "socket", then I saw all of the fissure like cracks in his forearm. I thought I might be able to glue it back together, but as I tried to align everything back together, the cracks propagated more, and his forearm literally dis-intergrated

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Saw Prime at Walmart last night, and honestly, he doesn't look too bad in-person. If still get the new Megatron (didn't even see it last night), I'll most likely get Prime too. Though I might wait and see what other repaints Hasbro has int he works for this mold.

:useless 

18. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Still torn on this one - I just got Battle Blades, and Buster Prime has been the centrepiece of my autobots collection so far. If I do get him, it'll be for variety's sake, and if I did I'll probably have to grab the old Movie 1 Voyager as well just to display them together.

19. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Bought this thing today out of a combination of curiosity and a liking for movie Prime. I sort of figured I wouldn’t like it just based on pics, but when a new toy is sitting right in front of you after four months of drought it’s kind of hard to resist. After fiddling with it I’m having sort of a Frosted Mini Wheats conundrum.

The collector in me says:

Bot mode looks terrible. I can live with the bulky arms, but the overall proportions look silly. It looks like a scout torso with voyager legs and deluxe arms. Easily one of the most badly proportioned TFs I’ve ever seen. It’s really those legs and the enormous jet feet that bother me the most.

Transformation is easy and intuitive – kind of refreshing for a movie Prime toy. Unfortunately the alt mode that you end up with looks pretty terrible with its mix of glossy plastic, matte plastic, solar panels (I’d question the reasoning behind a sentient robot needing solar panels but I haven’t seen the film), giant side tanks and just an overall gappy wrongness in the back end. Every other movie Prime toy looks better in truck mode, including the Legends and Activators incarnations. Granted the trailer will probably help cover the gaps in the back section.

The kid in me says:

This thing is fun! It’s really poseable and even has a waist joint! The big feet and legs let me stand it in all kinds of poses without it falling down. The best part is I can transform it in a few minutes without a team of engineers walking me through it. I could really bash this thing around in the sandbox and nothing would break. The truck rolls really nicely and looks like it could fly with those big tanks and rockets. I bet it will look even cooler with the trailer. And solar panels? Neat!

Overall I wouldn’t say I regret buying it. As a representation of movie Prime I think it falls really short, but as a toy it’s probably one of the best incarnations of the character. Kids should love it, and that’s what’s most important.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I got a bunch of DOTM toys yesterday, and I want to echo this one. Its incredibly fun to play with, and it looks GREAT standing. If you look at him next to M1 and M2 voyager Prime, this guy's proportion looks like he can kick both of their asses.

In addition, he has 5mm pegs all over the place for "mechtech". However, If you are a bit creative, I stacked him with the PE ultimate set. I don't have my picture though. He is REALLY REALLY FUN. Don't pass him just because you think he looks crappy.