Dark of the Moon Five-Day Total: $162.1 Million

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by An Army of Bees, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. But its tough some times.
    :) 

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It really is.

You would think that our beloved franchise making money is a good thing, but some folks still find something to complain about in even that.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If what Hasbro gave us with the RotF money is any indication, I have a feeling I'll be picking up a crap ton of Generations/Prime toys in the future.

4. Vicalliose

Vicalliose Well-Known Member

You see, the problem here is that you keep using the word opinion. Opinions are based on personal feelings and critiques about something, not an argument over facts.

My assumptions are not entirely unfounded though. And I gave reasons for them. Orci and Kurtsman do work better when they aren't under Michael Bay. And I refer to him being everything bad about his films because the quality of the explosions and special FX are not his doing in the slightest, he's just a kid playing with fireworks. The things that I see wrong with the films are the directors fault.

As for my assumption as to whether or not you people go to see the movie just because it has Transformers in it, this should logically be true. No I'm not looking for "Citizen Cane", but there are a good array of action films out there that have well constructed plots and plenty of explosions. Regardless of the extra effort, those films are not quite as successful because they don't have Optimus prime in them. It just shows how you can throw a bunch of money at something, and without putting much effort in, get your investment back ten fold. This is because of the chosen investment being a household name. Simply, nothing can go wrong.

I will admit, the end result of more money for the franchise is a good thing. Though I personally wish we could've made it out of this without it having affected the franchise as a hole the way it has. That could be the main reason I hate the films, as they have made all the other parts of the franchise conform to them. Like say how the G1 reboot by IDW got an ugly face lift and a sub par writer (which eventually got a bit better), and now every iteration of Bumblebee for the foreseeable future will always talk either in beeps or like Wreck-Gar, there should be other characters for that.

I guess I just don't like the taste of stale wet toast covered in sugar.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Always nice to hear about Transformers being successful. I love this brand.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    And what do you know! It's not! How 'bout that....

Also really like the "You people" part. Cause that's not condescending.

Yes, there are. And if they look interesting enough to us, we'll go see it. Everyone was talking about how The Expendables was an awesome action flick, but I personally wasn't interested, so I didn't go see it. Everyone is different.

That's a bold assumption....

Or maybe it shows that Bay seems to know what buttons to push to entertain the general movie-going public. His movies are fun to watch. As I told someone else, going to see a TF movie for most people is like taking a handful of $20s and going to an amusement park for the day; You plan your day around it, you have a hell of a time while you're there and when the day is done you're tuckered out and can't stop talking about how awesome it was. That may not be true for a lot of fans, but it's is for regular viewers.

You mean you didn't want the waves of really good toys we've gotten between the end of RotF and now or the well written Transformers: Prime?

The movies didn't make anyone do anything. It's either Hasbro's or someone else's call on that. It's no different then when Marvel decided to give Spider-Man his black suit during the Spider-Man 3 hype or making Iron Man's current suit in the comics closer to his movie look. It's a way to get those who aren't familiar with the franchise to try it out. After a while it goes back to what it's been doing while keeping some design ques of quirks in tack.

Yeah, like Prime Bumblebee and.........and.............and.............like Prime Bumblebee.....

As I stated, everyone's different. You may not like something that others do, you may like something others don't. doesn't mean something's wrong with them.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The totals for Dark of the Moon have the advantage of a 3D surcharge at many locations that makes it a little harder to compare numbers since we only get the box office total instead of the number of tickets sold.

But just comparing some of the daily numbers in the US at Box Office Mojo it's kind of looking like Dark of the Moon isn't getting as many people into the seats as the last time. With the 3D surcharge even if Dark of the Moon makes the same amount of money as Revenge of the Fallen that would still mean fewer tickets sold.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm glad its doing well and very pleased with the number of fans that the trilogy has brought in. I cant wait to see it this week.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blah, blah, blah. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Butts in the seats...not as many as RotF...who really cares? Oh yeah, you and handful of others. The rest of the world sees $400 million in 7 days.

10. Vicalliose

Vicalliose Well-Known Member

Fine "the movie liking group" that better? Sorry, I know make the "you people" mistake allot. Anyway, are you telling me you weren't into Transformers before?
    I didn't like Expendables... And you didn't go to see expendables because it was just another uninteresting action flick, which did not happen contain anything you cared about at the time.The reason why people liked Expendables is because of the all star cast, not because it was a good movie. Something draws you towards these Transformers movies, you're telling me you would have gone even if it didn't contain Peter Cullen and giant robots?
    District 9 is an example. Big film with robots, aliens and giant explosions, yet with better writing. But, it didn't have a brand name backing it, so it did not do as well. Michael Bay had never been so enormously successful until he started taking up brand name films. Armageddon came slightly close, but it was nothing like this. Why do you think he's doing Ninja Turtles next?
    On the other hand, you could have just gone to the amusement park or a different movie with explosions in it. I'd get the same thrilling experience without all the painfully written dialogue in between. Also fireworks work too.
    No that's the stuff I like about it. I just said that. Besides, now you've just reinforced my point that Bay drags down his writers. Orci and Kurtzman are pretty good writers, if a little dim when it comes to science.
    Of course it doesn't make anyone do anything. It's just that businesses and audiences follow the popular formula. It "affects" everything else. Until another big Hollywood film is made, whenever people think of Transformers they will think of Michael Bay's films. It all really depends on how eager Hasbro and Paramount are to see a new film series made.
    Yeah and it's going to be a long time before that goes away if at all. I'm just saying that chances are they wont drop that factor even in the next series. It's more something that bugs me personally, like the fact that he's not a Volkswagen Beetle (or at least some tiny car), which is where the idea for his name came from in the first place.
    I just wish everyone had slightly higher standards. Then y'know, Hollywood would have to raise their own standards instead of lowering them each year.

11. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Prime is Just Too "Bad@ss" for Anything Less Than $1 Billion.

I have to admit that DOTM is an amazing movie. If for nothing more than the technical complexity of the scenes and the awe-inspiring visuals, this movie is something to behold, especially in IMAX 3D for some key action scenes. Whether you like Bay or not, it is an amazing feat for anyone to direct a movie that is this visually stunning and technically complex. One billion dollars would definitely mean more transformers goodness for everyone in the future, so I am looking forward to big numbers. I agree that many people are trying to wait to get into IMAX 3D, but the soldout shows and high ticket price, are causing people to have to wait a little longer to see it. The numbers will catch up though. I have already seen it twice in IMAX. The other main reason to go see this movie is simply Optimus Prime. Prime is just pure awesomeness. In the pantheon of superheroes, Prime is right up there with the best of them. If he were real, I would surely sleep better at night knowing Optimus Prime was out there kicking butt. Prime is just too "Bad@ss" for anything less than $1 billion. And... long live Ironhide!

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The handful of others are actually the people that matter - you know, the people who decide what happens to the movies, what they're going to do next, etc...

13. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering how well @ the BO the crappy ROTF did, and I think most folks consider DOTM to be at least no worse - and usually rather better - I am not surprised about the totals. I think $1B is reasonable.

I know my friend & I gave for IMAX3D - and I'll be viewing it in 3D at least 1 more time, and a 3rd time to finally see it w/ my son (not sure if 3D or 2D at this point). I saw TF07 4x (incl BotCon showing), and even the junky ROTF was seen... 3x in the theater (incl 1x at the A&S Annex at Dulles, VA where part was filmed ^_^ )

14. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stayed away from spoilers as much as I could and I got to say I came out happy. It's defiantly not the greatest movie but it was alot better then ROTF.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Cool crazy awesome. The way things are going, Dotm will reach the $1 bil worldwide mark in less than 3 weeks.!!

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The number of butts in seats is a fairly big deal for the motion picture industry.

When a film franchise is putting more butts in seats then studios are eager to make more films in the film franchise because they expect an even larger return on their investment. When fewer butts are in the seats then it's harder to green light more films in a franchise because they think public interest in the franchise is on the decline so there will be a smaller return on the investment.

Could also be a big deal for Hasbro because if fewer kids see the movie then Hasbro is missing that chance at an advertisement for the movie figures. It's in everyone's best interest that Dark of the Moon toys move by Christmas or we could end up like the GI Joe line when retailers got stuck with too much Rise of Cobra stock after Christmas.

17. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    What? That makes no sense.

DOTM is making a ton of money - the biggest 4th of July gross ever. Is it making as much money as ROTF? No. Is it having better attendance numbers than the TFTM? No. But so what? It's still making a whole lot of money. It will most likely be one of the top 3 grossing films of 2011. You can bet there will be a Transformers 4 - to do otherwise would be foolish. Why would you leave all that potential cash on the table? The "people who matter" and "who decide what happens to movies" know this.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  18. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    You guys are acting like no one is watching this movie. Please. Plenty of "butts" are in the seats. Biggest 4th of July opening ever. DOTM will be one of the Top 3 grossing films of 2011. I'm pretty sure Hasbro & Paramount are pleased with how things are going.

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
  20. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

This.

Lots of money = more films.

Critics and haters have no effect on the film series.

I'd be willing to put £10 on TF4 coming out in 2014 or 2015.