Heavy/Scratch: Dark Fremble Twins v4

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Update (11/9/11) #2: Dark Minion Fremble v6

Changes made in v6:

Added hand-held Pulse Blasters (they attach to the talon-shaped sockets in the legs)

*Pulse Blasters are compatible with Fremble v4 and onwards, and do fit in SSD mode and in Soundwave. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update (11/9/11):
    Dark Minion Fremble v5

Changes made in Version 5:

Ball jointed head
    New, posable feet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Minion Fremble v5 by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (2/9/11):
    Version 4.1 is now complete!

Changes made in 4.1:

• New elbow joint (finally worked out how to use the newer, stronger ball joint in that small space :)  )
    • More detailing (mainly on the chest and leg, it is deliberately asymmetrical)
    • Smoothed some edges (I've recently learned new 'organic' modeling)
    [​IMG]

Dark Minion Fremble v4.1 by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

I like to think i've also learnt to make better renders. :) 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (25/7/11): I've uploaded pics of the painted samples!

Hi! So, after healing the bruises i got from bouncing up and down with anticipation (oww... :(  ) and hitting the ceiling, i finally got around to posting these guys. For the sake of chronology, here's what happened:

1. I made WFC Fremble Minion v3, released it. Had a lot of thunder.
    2. Someone comes along and steals said thunder 83 times.
    3. I make this version...out of spite, really. :D  :lol 
    Anyways, i think i finally perfected the Fremble design. Those who've seen v1-v3 know that these are my little minions designed for WFC Soundwave. They are based on their G1 cousins, the Cassetticons, just updated for the 21st century. Version 4 ups the ante with new accessories, a whole new joint system, and much better interaction with Soundwave.

[​IMG]

New Accessories?

Yep, Version 4 comes with its own set of piledrivers! These bad boys make sure Fremble has a big impact on the battlefield, literally. Shoulder mounted, the piledrivers allow Fremble to deal out the hurt. Version 4 also incorporates a neat little 'easter egg' in the design. If you look at the upper legs, you'll notice they're designed in rings, sorta like a spring. C'mon, if you're pounding the ground all day, you need some shock absorption. ;) 

[​IMG]

New Joints?

Yep. Version 4 is the first design to utilise the new joint system. Unlike the old joints, these ones hold tighter, they snap into place firmly, and hold a lot more weight. They also take the strain much better, so you can pose these guys a lot easier than v3. Plus, with the new ball joints, they don't even need to lean on the piledrivers. They can stand on their own two feet. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interaction with WFC Soundwave?

Yep. Of course, even since v1. It's just that these guys are even better. Not only do you have the twins of mayhem smashing just about everything within range, but they also fit into Soundwave's chest in their alt modes. Even better, the piledrivers double as cannons. The use the standard 5mm peg most Transformers use, which means Soundwave can wield them as handguns, or combine both into one double-barreled blaster. On top of that, you can still attach Soundwave's stock weapons. 3 layers of firepower! And then, of course, there's the Convertible of Death...

But perhaps the best part is now, with v4, i can finally throw away those pliers! Getting Minions out of Soundwave was always such a chore, but Fremble v4 ejects itself. The alt. mode pegs securely into the clips built into Soundwave's chest, and the door shuts tight over them. Tight enough that when you open Soundwave's chest, the Fremble Minion will be pulled out along with it! Now more fumbling around with stuck Minions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, where do i get one?

Simple. My Shapeways shop. I offer the Dark Fremble Minion in two ways. You can get a single Minion, or you can get 2 Frembles for a discounted price. The models can be ordered in any of the Strong and Flexible materials (except Polished WSF), and also any Detail material (White/Black/Transparent/Frosted/Frosted Ultra). I certainly recommend the Strong and Flexible material for it's durability, and the flex helps the ball joints click into place easier. The two samples i bought are both in Black Strong and Flexible, and they work like charms. Detail is an option, but all the detail i designed into the design comes out fine in BSF.

[​IMG]

Mods? No way.

Now, i know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "But A1, you're Soundwave has part of the door hinge cut out, so there's more space". Mods begone (not you SQ7 ;)  )!. Fremble, and the Beast/Sqwawk/Beak/Saw/Ravager updates that will follow are designed to work with no mods to your Soundwave. I know, my Soundwave has some bits cut out of the hinge in his chest door. That's because i left it at Engineering at school, and let's just say the people weren't nice to Soundwave. It involved a clamp and a circular saw, make of that what you will. The old Minions i've removed, anything released now is designed to work without mods to your Soundwave (use the link in my Sig, if it's still there, it'll work with your Soundwave). I'd show you with an un-modded Soundwave, but lo and behold, Perth gets shafted again, and i'm lucky to have found even one at retail. ;) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Durability?
    It's a Shapeways piece. Don't give it to your child, it's got small parts. That said, though, i've never had a model that i sell snap with regular use, and i don't plan to start anytime soon. Fremble was designed from the start, to be simple. As little 'folding up' as possible. You can see the SSD (Solid State Drive) mode involves mainly standing Fremble up straight and folding his head back. That's the beauty of it, the less you have to do, the more durable the thing will be, and Fremble was simplified as much as possible. If you're an adult collector, Fremble should hold up to posing and display, but don't let your 6-year old near Fremble.
    ;) 

Size?
    Fremble is approximately 30mm, or 1.25" tall, from head to toe, not including the Piledrivers. With Piledrivers, approximately 35mm, or 1.375" from top to ground, if the piledrivers are slanted to allow Fremble to stand. They're not too tiny, about 2/3 of a Minicon's size or so.

I hope you guys like it!

(Buy Dark Minion Fremble v4 on Shapeways here!) (available in any Strong and Flexible material except Polished WSF, and any Detail material)
    (Buy Dark Minion Fremble v4 Double Pack on Shapeways here!) (available in any Strong and Flexible material except Polished WSF, and any Detail material)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope you guys like it, and i can't end this post without a shout out to Fakebusker and his/her Thugger twins. I still remain proud of being the first guy to do Shapeways WFC Soundwave minions, but Thugger ramped it up a notch and gave me a good kick up the ass to actually finish v4. That said, though, i'm damn proud of these guys. But my pride still won't let me click on the Thugger thread. :lol  Thanks a lot Fakebusker! :) 

Oh, and in keeping with tradition and all things holy, by Primus, FIBRIR!!!

Attached Files:

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    They look rather nice. You might want to supply a link to your Shapeways store though.

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Sig ;) 

OP: :popcorn 

4. Treadshot A1

I'm working on teh link now, had to edit some functions on my Shapewys shop to let you guys buy these. Will get the link up real quick. In the meantime, enjoy the new pictures!

And...the links are up! :) 

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I make no effort to hid the fact that I bought a pair of Thuggers. But competition is a good thing.

I like that these have 5mm ports all over the place. I REALLY like that he has a two pack bundle.

Treadshot, I think you've got a good product on your hands. Your new pictures make them look rather good. These things must be like 1/2 tall since it seems they do not fold up much to fit inside his chest. SUPER TINY ROBOTS!

6. Treadshot A1

Thanks Ryoku. I certainly don't have anything against Thugger, aside from the fact it's a competitor. But i'm only doing this as a hobby anyways. :) 

Fremble is approximately 30mm, or 1.25" tall, from head to toe, not including the Piledrivers. With Piledrivers, approximately 35mm, or 1.375" from top to ground, if the piledrivers are slanted to allow Fremble to stand. They're not too tiny, about 2/3 of a Minicon's size or so.

UPDATE (25/7/11): I've painted my samples! Pics in the OP.

7. Treadshot A1

I can't believe i forgot to add the altmode pic of these guys. It's in there now. Really, the SSD mode is just standing them up straight, and then folding the heads back, but it's simplicity is worth it for the durability it brings. As for why it's a Solid State Drive altmode...well, i was in the market for a laptop at the time v1 came about in my head. That, and it sounds better than "oddly shaped block". :D  :lol 

8. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i think i may pick up a set. Question though.. offtopic but please excuse me.. Why are the Chibi-Constructicons available for sale but not the kibble?

9. Treadshot A1

Because i overlooked the Kibble. I'm an idiot sometimes. :lol  I'll make it available. To be honest, i didn't think anyone would buy one! :D 

10. Treadshot A1

Added the pics of the piledrivers being used to replace the usual Shoulder Cannon. :) 

11. Treadshot A1

Looks like now my Dark Fremble Twins have some, ahem, sparring partners. I just hope they fight fair. Like that's gonna happen. :lol 

[​IMG]

They're fighting the Light Ejectoid Minions.

Attached Files:

12. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Are those available yet? They were NFS the last time I checked.

13. Treadshot A1

Shapeways says the Fremble Twins are all available for sale and have been for a while now. There's no reason why anyone wouldn't be able to buy one if they wanted one. Same goes for the Light Minions you see above.

14. Treadshot A1

Update (2/9/11): Version 4.1 is now complete!

Changes made in 4.1:

• New elbow joint (finally worked out how to use the newer, stronger ball joint in that small space [​IMG] )
    • More detailing (mainly on the chest and leg, it is deliberately asymmetrical)
    • Smoothed some edges (I've recently learned new 'organic' modeling)
    [​IMG]

Dark Minion Fremble v4.1 by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

I like to think i've also learnt to make better renders. [​IMG]

15. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    wow that looks great! i still think you should do a separate version. with the scale bumped up. just for those people who have a different version of soundwave and would like a bigger version of frenzy and rumble. you can leave them looking just about the same, but just scale them up.

just a suggestion.

16. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I like the new model very much! I'm frembling a little thinkin about how cool they are.

I totally agree with javaco!

Especialy if you snuck in just a little more detailing at the larger size, these could be great options for those whop missed the United and PE models.

17. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    exactly! or for those people who don't wanna spend 50$ on the Perfect Effect versions

18. Treadshot A1

Hmm, if I scale it up, then I could add a lot of details to it. Would be nice to be able to incorporate some of the ideas that aren't possible at this scale. It would probably be scaled to about 60mm tall, so that it's not too expensive.

Best wordplay ever. :) 

I think I'll keep it this size for the time being (there are Cartridge Robots if you want a bigger FR unit). I want to work out a new alt mode before upscaling. ;) 

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    That i will order

20. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    honestly, i think people would still buy them without an altmode. but maybe a simple target master would do. just something to keep the robot mode simple and accurate to g1