Dark Energon's effect on living transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by DarkRobin, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DarkRobin

DarkRobin Well-Known Member

This series introduced us a new element to the Transformers universes, Dark Energon

By all means, it's basically the energy that's opposite to Energon.

As Starscream pointed out, the Anti-spark.

It turns the dead Cybertronians into undead/zombie Cybertronian, hence the word. Anti-spark

But if that's the case, wouldn't it kill living transformers?

So far, it's proven to have different effect on Autobots and Decepticons.

To the Autobots, it does what green Kryptonite does to Superman(and other Kryptionians) its energon weakens them, saps their strength, which has been confirmed by Arcee and Ratchet.

To the Decepticons, Dark Energon's energy strengthened Megatron more than harm him, and it has kept him alive at brink of death, then restored him to health. And it obviously had no ill effect on Starscream either.

So what does this mean? Dark Energon strengthen evil and destroy good? Or is it the difference in the programming of Autobots and Decepticons?

If's it's Anti-spark, shouldn't it cancel out Deceptions' sparks as well?

2. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Dark Energon has been said to be "Unicron's Blood", and as of the neat little promo we got at Botcon (or was that Comic-con?) it's been all but shouted to the heavens that Unicron will appear later. Unicron is evil incarnate, and since Starscream and Megatron are both (almost, in Starscream's case. I'm not ruling him out yet) irredeemably evil, Unicron's blood doesn't kill them, but instead makes them stronger simply because they are better able to forward Unicron's cause. The Autobots, meanwhile, on a primal level refuse Unicron's cause, and that's why it makes them weaker.

Just my theory on it, anyways. :D 

3. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly, Arcee came into contact with liquid dark energon, while Megatron and Starscream used it in crystal form. So maybe it has different effects depending on what state it's in.

4. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

She did get sick.

While Prime and Rachet was battling the zombies they were getting weaker.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

It's basically steroids for TFs.

Highly addictive.
    Powers up the people.
    Makes them go berserk.
    The more you use it, the more you need it and the faster ir runs out of your body.

It's all in Exodus, the novel, which IS part of the Prime continuity.

7. Vz3

Vz3 Bayverse Comic Zealot

That might be because she's smaller/built different. :sly:  "She's tough...for a two wheeler." (<-Although admitably, one TFP quote I wtf'd in hilarity at.)

I've gotta finally get around to picking up a copy...

8. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    When I thought about it, Dark Energon can be treated like the Dark Side of the Force. Few Jedi can channel the Dark Side w/o ill effects, & most of those who can become corrupted.

It has also been established (in other fiction; Aligned hasn't really touched on it much) that Autobot & Decepticon, as well as Maximal & Predacon, are built & programmed differently, which could play a part too.

Remember, Decepticons are built for war, destruction, & a quest for Power, all things Dark Energon is good for.

I borrowed Exodus from my Library. Intend to do the same when Exiles hits. There are continuity issues w/ Exodus, like all TF stuff, though.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Walmart has had the paperback copies of Exodus for some time now :thumb 

10. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

It's full of good concepts, but the author doesn't execute them very well. He'll introduce an interesting plotline and then never do anything with it. It's rather annoying.

My suggestion is to get it at half price if you can, or if you order other stuff off of amazon.com and that will put you above the $25 Free Shipping method (that's what I did - nabbed the novel and the Headmasters DVD for free shipping).

It's not a BAD book, but it's not something to rush out to find.

11. Vz3

Vz3 Bayverse Comic Zealot

Foreshadowing to things that will be further explained/fleshed out in the new season (if it ever actually gets to us, HUB...), perhaps...? :eek: 

And I'm a collector of all (new gen) TF things that aren't TF figures since I'm a penny pincher, so I'll be sure to at least somewhat rush to grab a copy anyway. Although, as a penny pincher, I was planning on doing as you said, and getting it on Amazon. Started to the other day since I was over the $25 mark (with the DOTM game, lol), but then I thought about some bookstores that are in the process of liquidating. I'm probably gonna wait till I have a chance to drop by those and see what I can scrape up first.

12. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

It's kinda like that cap America treatment
    **spoilers**
    They tell CA before he gets into the booth that if he has good intentions the treatment will go well and thus make him look better but if he has bad intentions it will go wrong

This is like that but the other way round if ya get me...

13. DarkRobin

DarkRobin Well-Known Member

So I guess you agree with what I said, that Dark Energon weaken the good and strengthen evil.

Basically, it's really the mind/personality that determines Dark Energon's effect on the host.

But I'm beginning to wonder Megatron is already dead, or half-dead.

14. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Bob's Personal Assistant

The stuff apparently has no effect on Bumblebee. He juggled it in crystal form in "Out of His Head" (though admittedly, he was under the influence of Megatron, so it doesn't really count), and got a direct blast from freaking Megatron in "Stronger, Faster" ... and came out unscathed.

15. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are we sure Bumblebee suffered no effects from Megatrons attack? Optimus did tell Arcee to tend to Raf and Bumblebee. It's possible that 'Bee was so concerned so Raf that he was ignoring whatever may have been afflicting himself.

16. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Bob's Personal Assistant

Hmm, I kinda like this idea. With all the build-up from the Optimus/Megatron facedown, I doubt it'll be expanded upon, but it'd be nice if it were acknowledged. It'd give Ratchet something to stress over, at the very least.

17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

It's been quite obvious for some time now that Dark Energon/the blood of Unicron can establish psychic links. Megatron can feel and hear Unicron every now and then, and there's the point where he commanded the Zombiecons telepathically.

So in a way, Unicron's blood isn't just his fuel, it's Unicron HIMSELF. Coupled with the idea that it's like the Dark Side, Unicron sees Megatron (and quite possibly the rest of the Decepticons) as the strong, and the humans and Autobots as the weak.

"The weak shall perish..."

The prophecy is talking about Unicron's ascension, and he will choose who lives and who dies. Unicron is already playing God with everything.

18. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Even worse. Maybe Unicron is an Old One Devourlord like in previous version, which see all Existence like a big Happy-Meal, so even the decepticons or Megatron himself are little more than temporaly, disposable tools to be consumed eventually, too.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Unicron R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! :ev: 

19. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I always thought of the effects of Dark Energon (DE) as varying on what's being done with it at the time, & had nothing to do with who's good & evil. Megatron & Starscream were strengthened by it due to stabbing a shard into their sparks; whereas the Autobots have been weakened by radiation emanating from the crystals/Terrorcons (who says an Autobot with DE in their spark wouldn't become stronger?)....and Bumblebee wouldn't have been effected much by the shard's radiation in 'Out Of His Head' due to it's size/inactivity IMO.

I don't think the blast that hit Raf & Bumblebee was pure DE, because Megatron wouldn't need to find more crystals to raise a new Terrorcon army; he could just zap the deactivated TF's with DE from his cannon to control them.

And I still say Unicron is going to (try to) take control of Megatron's mind during the next 3 episodes - (if we ever get them! :tongue: )...

Coming from a different angle, "The weak" in the prophecy could be Megatron & any who use the DE; mentally 'perishing' under Unicron's influence as his rising 'shadow' envelopes them.

20. stufa1978

stufa1978 Well-Known Member

There are mistakes in Prime as with many great sagas.

But the Dark Energon thing can be ironed out.

The liquid was Cliffjumper's energon blood containing the dark energon. Seeings as Arcee like all the TFers has a complexed antivirus system. It would have taken time for it to infect her.
    Where as Ratchet's ill fated tool had no protection. Allowing the blood to take affect easily.

I see Unicron as all about control. He would perhaps see his mission as to control all is to be all. Though the zombies are seemingly souless. I think Unicron sees what they see. Indeed anything that comes into contact with direct Dark Energon.

So yes as you pointed out. Megs is blindly doing Unicron a favour.