Dark Cybertron Crossover Discussion - Spoilers for all parts in here!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Yggdrasil, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Trion was cut because plans changed.

Same could've happened with the Rodimus thing too.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Did you like the first three paperbacks of the current series?

If the answer is yes, why are you doubting this upcoming change?

If the answer is no, then I'm thinking you don't want to spend money on books you don't like, anyway. In that case you are better off saving it for something else. :) 

It's so easy to hear about an upcoming plot twist, and I understand the pessimism. But you shouldn't trust a book by its cover - any idea executed well can be great.

Do you happen to read Spider-Man? People at first hated the black suit when he got it decades ago, but quickly turned around (because feedback was slow back then, it was already too late, and they turned the suit into a hostile Symbiote ;) . The same thing has been going on with Superior Spider-Man, most people hated that
    Peter Parker died and Dock Ock stole his body
    . Now that the schtick is over, people want more of it.

I'd say: have some faith. :) 

3. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    The original plot outline from the DC #1 Deluxe Edition:

Although John Barber notes further down

which appears to be referring to the fact that Trion's legs are fully intact in the final issue?

But yeah, god knows what the deal with those flashes are. Could they be for post-DC stuff? We know Trion is turning up in RID (see the background of RID #28's inside cover).

4. Noisemaze

Noisemaze Anti-Anti-Aircraft

So the moral of this story is that Spider-Man took an alien far away from where it lived, made it learn of the feelings that the people of Earth feel that the ones it was native to lack and it developed an attachment so he forced it to leave because he didn't want commitment.
    OUR HERO, LADIES

5. Orion Type61

Orion Type61 The Lone Gundam

Okay, you won me over; I'm sticking with it. And while I don't read Spider-Man I have heard this, pretty my verbatim. My analog would be how much I ended up liking Dick Grayson as Batman.

Thanks to everyone for you fast and helpful replies. Sometimes I forget how different the fiction is in the comics (this is actually my first Transformers comic experience).

6. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Agreed.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    And then it transformed into a car and drove away into space bluarghaf gablarghghghg!!

[​IMG]

Grayson as Batman is a good example, too! Exactly the kind of twist that sounds kind of boring or even dumb on paper, but in the right hands can be great.

I hated when Megatron 'quit' the Decepticons at the end of Transformers Prime, because his reason was extremely stupid. I have a lot more faith this time, because this version of Megatron is in very capable hands. I think his switch in Dark Cybertron might have been a little sudden, but it didn't come out of nowhere...and now he is in the hands of a writer who turned Transformers nobodies into my favorite characters within the span of just five or six issues, gave us new twists on old characters that still feel true to who they were before (most of the time ;)  ) and even managed to slip in a total Mary Sue character who is so charming and actually adds something to the formula, people have welcomed him with open arms instead of pitchforks and nerd rage. I kind of forgot his name now, though..damn, I swear it's on the tip of my tongue! ;) 

Glad you're sticking around a little longer :thumb  If it ends up sucking anyway, you'll know where to find me. Please don't hit me!

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Can you explain where the clues leading to Megatron switching sides are at? I'm trying to figure if I missed an issue.

9. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I don't know about that. Given their history Dick Grayson is probably the best person to be Batman after Bruce Wayne himself. On the other hand maybe the idea was a lot more receptive after how well Wally West taking over as the Flash went.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think you may be talking about Thunderclash, right?

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    No, I got it. Like I said in my post, guys like Prowl are guilty. In case you didn't notice, that whole story line was Prowl's doing. He set it all up, so it's all on him.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, you got part of the point.

Kinda.

13. Orion Type61

Orion Type61 The Lone Gundam

I totally agree, I guess I meant it as an example of something I thought I would really hate and ended up loving. Another example for me was Damian and how a creator can make anything awesome. I'm really starting to do a 180 on this Megatron thing now lol.

14. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed Batman cartoons for decades, but never really got into the comics. I'd try, and mostly it'd just feel 'off' to my view of Batman… when I first heard of Damien Wayne, I thought "UGH! He's gonna stink", but when I heard about Grayson taking over as Batman (something I was looking forward to, even tho I knew it wouldn't last because it's Batman, not Flash; and even Wally-as-Flash didn't last, eventually, tho he had a good run--pun intended), with Damien as his Robin, and the creative team involved, I was on board. I didn't much care for Pyg and some of the other baddies they encountered, but I loved seeing Grayson in the cowl, and Damien was a delightful little creep. The creative team definitely matters, which is why I'm on board for Megatron the Autobot.

I didn't mind Megatron's change of heart at the end of Predacons Rising, I just wish there'd been more build-up to it… it really needed a season, perhaps, of Unicron being in charge, twisting Megatron's goals & views to his own end, plotting the destruction of the planet Megatron called home and had been fighting over for millennia. Really make the 'oppression' he was feeling by being trapped in his own body, unable to exert any control, sting. Make him witness the Autobots, and even maybe some of his own Cons, thru a different lens by being unable to act. That might have sold it better. So while I'm glad he had the change of heart, as it's a different way to go than the typical old "I'm Megatron I'm always bad muahahahaha", it just felt too abrupt, like a lot of Predacons Rising.

15. Scaldron

Scaldron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you don't mind my going ahead and answering:

it's mostly contained within Dark Cybertron itself, but there were a couple seeds planted in Chaos Theory (from which everyone quotes the "In the final analysis" bit to say how far of a shift this is). but what people seem to forget is that for a while, he was talking and laughing with Prime like they were friends, and that Megatron actually briefly considered ending the war then and there when Prime asked (i saw it that way, at least). but he opted not to and instead tried goading Prime into killing him (which is where the "In the final analysis" bit happens) then Chaos happened.

in RID, Megatron pretty much has everything lined up and going his way with a rejuvenated group of Decepticons against some Autobots, neutrals, and turncoats like Octane. but he still lost out, and Starscream of all people came out on top.

it's still kind of a stretch, but i think James and John were heading this direction from the start.

16. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

Man, if they made a comic about autobot Megatron, Damian Wayne, Superior Spider Ock, Bucky Cap, Wally West Flash, and Jaime Blue Beetle I would so read the hell out of it

17. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Are you forgetting that the whole point of the mission Prowl sent the Wreckers on was to retrieve evidence of the trials of Autobot war criminals?

Like, loads of them. Enough to convince Tyrest that them all being cold-constructed was statistically significant.

18. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    It feels very forced and very sudden. A change like this should have been built up for a LONG time, not over a few issues which equal a few minutes or hours worth of story.

He hasn't been that person in a long time, for thousands of years. After everything he's done, he's not going back.

19. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Don't forget Iron Patriot! And the new Venom!

20. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

You know in retrospect, at least the fandom seems to be taking autobot megatron way better than the marvel fandom took Frankencastle (the Punisher turned into a frankenstein monster who then ends up helping to protect Marvel's monsters from persecution.... it was awesome and fun but the fandom went completely nuclear)