Daredevil #79, or, "Why aren't you reading this comic??"

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by thefrozenred, Nov 25, 2005.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Brilliant storytelling...this is what I've come to expect from the title, and saw severly lacking in other arcs like "Golden Age." AWESOME fight with Bullseye, as well...far superior to the one from #49, which is saying quite a bit. For those who haven't read it and/or don't care...

Spoiler...

The whole arc is named, "The Murdock Papers," which we discover never existed...they were simply a ploy Fisk used to manipulate his lackeys, and now the Feds. What DID happen, though, was that it resulted in Murdock walking into a trap where (a) he had the intent of stealing the Murdock papers, and thereby incriminating himself by (at least planning on) obstructing justice and (b) getting shot in the middle of a street by a sniper (presumably the baddie from the Black Widow arc). Now, (b) is a problem, because all the Feds have to do is compare Daredevil's blood to Murdock's blood. Worse, the ONE place Murdock can go for help is the one place that Urich also knows about...and Fisk knows Urich knows, and, as the issue ends, Fisk forces Urich to disclose the location of the "Night Nurse," unless he wants to be locked up away from his wife and kids.

This is what I expect from Bendis on the Daredevil comic, and I'm damned pleased that he's wrapping it up with so much class and talent. Hopefully Brubaker can carry the torch come February.

2. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Why am I not reading it? 'Cuz Ed Brubaker isn't writing it yet.

3. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Could you supply a reason pertaining to perhaps the story, then? Or maybe, you know, stop posting irrelevance?

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

not liking the writer is relevant. Maybe he just doesn't like Bendis' DD. I know I liked Smith's initial run more than Bendis' first stint.

As for the book, I love it and will definately miss it. However Brubaker has me hooked on his work with Captain America. I can't stand the character but eagerly await each issue.

5. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Ah, but he never said that. :p 

Anyway, I've got to catch up on Cap v5, but from what I read (the first 6 issues, I think?) I know that DD is in good hands. :) 

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, i picked up DD back during the underground church group talk thing was happening, and almost stopped getting it cuz that part was bloody boring....but, with the last 3 issues of the murdock papers, im really intrigued...glad i didnt put it back...

7. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Waiting for brubaker to start his arc before I jump on. And its not cause I dislike Bendis or anything of that sort. I just dont like going into arcs by a writer unless its on the first arc cause writers tend to fall back on things they've layed down and I get all confused and such.

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Damned fine reason, there...LOTS of stuff that happened during Bendis' arc (the new White Tiger, the Night Nurse, Ben Urich's role in Murdock's life, what the Kingpin has been up to, etc) is coming back to bite Daredevil in the ass. THE MURDOCK PAPERS is the antithesis of a jumping on point...but hopefully Brubaker's first issue (which IS being touted as a jumping on point) will bring more people into the devil's fold. :) 

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i think i missed some of the bendis beginnings, cuz i have no idea what the night nurse is, i just made an assumption based off what ive picked up....hopefully everything wil be explained at least a little bit....

10. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    During the KING OF HELL'S KITCHEN arc, Murdock gets the crap beaten out of him, and the only safe place he can go for help is to the Night Nurse, a woman who provides secret hospital services to costumed folk.

Milla, who at the time was Murdock's wife, begs Ben Urich to find him. Ben finds a scrap of paper in Foggy's office that indicates its where Matt's hiding; Ben ends up walking into the Night Nurse's hospital to have a discussion with Murdock.

Now, it turns out that Ben was dumb enough to write an ARTICLE about the Night Nurse, hence how Fisk knows that Ben knows where Matt is...which means that Ben being around the Kingpin at all times was NOT for the insurance against the Feds; it was the last piece in Fisk's plan.