Danish Scientists Teleport Light, Matter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll be really impressed if they invent a machine that will actually make her have sex with you when she arrives.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'll be really impressed when the the machine reroutes jolie to my bedroom and she somehow resist my animal magnetism from joining wifey and i in a hot threesome.

3. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

This is exciting.

with a pair of entwined particles, whenever something happens to one, the exact opposite happens to the other instantaneously. It's a really weird but nevertheless true property that emerged from quantum mechanics. The real kicker is that it doesn't matter how far the objects are apart, it's still instantaneous.

When light strikes an object, it transfers energy to the object. When an atom is given more energy it moves. So, when a light is shone on one of the entwined particles, the second one will react as well. Hence, light is teleported.

As far as matter goes, I don't really know how they did it. My guess would be that they 1) found a way to ram the particle ("data") into an entwined particle and either it instantaneously appeared adjacent to the other entwined particle or 2) rammed a ("data") particle into the entwined particle and a copy of it appeared next to the other entwined particle.

I'll have to ask my buddies in the physics department what they make of this.

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

SO it's like tha Ansible in the orson scot card Ender books

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    So are you thinking this is like an extension of the basic Heisenberg principle, where they're using the light to "push" the atoms along? That's pretty neat.

EDIT: I had to reread and process what you were saying. If these scientists are moving entwined particles across great distances (or, in this case, a half meter,) the entwined particles will still interact as if they were a whole? That's REALLY neat!

Wow. Yay physics.

6. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Teleport me to Hasbro so I can grab some of the Transformers Classics.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Maybe now Skywarp doesn't have to ask for permission anymore. :) 

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They already have, it's called a handgun.

*rimshot*

Yeah, that was horrible, I know.

9. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

With an entwined pair, the distance could be a foot or a lightyear, and the effect is still instantaneous.

This is what makes quantum-based communications the ultimate method of communication (we just need to learn to implement it). There's no delay. There's only two particles, so no one can eavesdrop (and no wires to tap, either), and even if they did somehow manage to make a third entwined particle, you'd be able to tell. There's no interference. Entwined particles are getting easier to make (a guy at my school came up with a new method a year or two ago, actually), so whenever you need to replace the pair, you will be able to make a new one without too much effort.

I have to admit, however, that I have no idea what exactly a quantum computer would entail, I just know that it'd be crazy fast and insanely complex. I should look that up one of these days.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Everything everyone in this thread has said so far has flown completely over my head, I had no idea they could do any of this crap.

Except "the", I understood that.