Dangerous jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

So what man or woman has the most craziest job or potential danger lurking while they work?

I offer up mine. I load anywhere from 6-12 liquid hydrogen trucks a shift, so I'm basically sitting on 6000-8700 pounds of liquid hydrogen when moving the trailer.

They say it would take out 3 football fields wide and 60 foot deep hole if anything ever happened.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some liquid nahtrogen oughta cool you off! /ironhide

I can never read liquid nitrogen n not hear ironhides voice.

Cool job bro. So did u get the new bulb?

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is me pre-empting any posts by our resident combat veterans with a 'thank you for serving'.

As for me, well, I'm in the medical line - the most dangerous things I've had to do are restraining violent winos/druggies and handling bio-hazardous substances like HIV-positive blood samples.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We get a lot of carjacking around here. They're mostly armed with knives or pistols so nothing out of the ordinary.

5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I load liquid nitrogen trucks too, as well as argon and oxygen.

For the others veterans wise(I do thank you for your service) we should end up with a good amount of stuff for all to enjoy including them.

6. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Can you score me some Liquid Nitrogen? I wanna overclock my CPU something crazy.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That much liquid hydrogen? Jesus, I hope you don't smoke.

8. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Sure do :) 

Just not in the H2 fuel zone :crazy: 

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I guess you deserve SOMETHING to calm your nerves after hauling around what is literally rocket fuel.

10. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I am a scaffolder, i hang off of 2 inch aluminum tubes at heights varying from 20 feet to 300 feet with nothing below or around me. Most of my work takes place in refineries and chemical plants where under-maintained pipes carry high pressure substances that range from gasoline, to jet fuel, to hydogen sulphide, to super heated steam that will cook you in a second in the case of a ruptured line, and any other nasty chemical you can think of.

So if I'm not in the risk of falling, even though I am 100% tied off (falling in a harness is just about as dangerous as a free fall), I am at the risk of getting cooked, poisoned, suffocated, exploded, and crushed from heavy machinery.
    I am a Union carpenter/scaffolder and proud of it.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spikex. Sounds like a high risk job, hang in there, one day youll climb up to the top of the company

C wut i did there

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Yo Spikex! That's kinda similar to the work my dad did, except he replaced the pipes in a huge factory. Many of your dangers were his own.

As for me, my job has a moderate risk factor. I work in construction clean up, but we spend a lot of time around the job sites and the equipment. Bizarre accidents occasionally happen. The most recent, a guy working with tile nearly had his leg cut off with a chainsaw. The badass needed three sets of stitches and he came back to work. We are a hardy people. Cut yourself open, finish your job and we'll try and get you to the hospital. Mr. Saws his leg off topped my badassery, I'm sad to say.

I like our onlook on illness and injury. "You're hurt? How bad you bleeding?" "Your guts are hanging out? Well, can you still walk? Then get to work!" "You're sick and throwing up? Finish up and help us out." "Heart attack? Have a burrito, that'll fix it."

Don't get me wrong, we encourage the sick and injured to stay home if need be. But then your badass factor drops about 9000 pts.

13. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I've probably been on some of your scaffolding spikex. Union electrician myself whoop whoop! As for me, heights and shock/electrocution are my main threats. I've wired signs/lights off the sides of buildings in window washer lifts 600' up. Currently working on a highrise downtown. Been into hot switchgear that made the hair on your arms stand straight up and into things that would fry your ass with the quickness if you got hung up. However, all that pales in comparison to those of you who put your lives in danger in service of country, or to those of you who haul that ole nahtrogen and other dangerous gases.

14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Used to drive a lift in a refrigerated warehouse with exposed anhydrous ammonia pipes that were bumped rather frequently. Rupture one, and everyone in the building dies, with the people in the immediate vicinity being covered with 8" if solid ice.
    Almost had a 2000lb pallet of product fall on me from 30-feet. Lift cage saved me.

I'm in the office now, so... do papercuts count?

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hhahaah.

It's funny because I've probably hurt myself more with paper than with tools, machinery, or physical work of any kind.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Used to sand blast and paint roller coasters, water towers, transfer stations and water treatment facilities. Now I work for a HVAC/ plant construction company.

17. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

KA, what can I say, I work at the height of my of profession!

DaraRex2.0, your dad must have been a pipefitter and your right, the trades are not for the faint of heart.

Allsparky, I doubt you have been on any of my scaffolds unless you have worked in northern Alberta, but you certainly know what I speak of! Suddenly your usename makes a whole lot more sense. Electricity gives me the heebie jeebies, it is sort of a no go zone for me, thats why I am glad to have union trained electricians to take care of that stuff brother. Union pride, its a way of life.

Also, hats off to those who serve and allow me to live the life that I want to live, your jobs are far more dangerous than mine.

18. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Oops, didn't notice your locale there. Anyway, right on brother!