Dang Microsoft.......

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

its funny u have a mass effect sig cuz they said the same thing about this game as well..

u never heard the saying "never say never" i assume...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. kaos

see this is a sound reponse..but heres the flaw..MS has the rights to HALO so they could release HALO on the xbox first.. 5-6 months later it drops on the other systems..they still get people to buy their product cuz gamers are a impatient bunch...no gamer going to wait months to get a hold of the next halo thus pushing people towards their product and away from sony or nin..

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Nothing is completely impossible when it comes to something that can make a profit, but Halo on any non-Microsoft console is still extremely unlikely at the moment.

343 Industries is producing the new Halo and they are a company which is owned by Microsoft. It was created by MS to oversee the Halo games, and as such, if Microsoft wants the game to remain a console exclusive and use it to drive hardware sales, they can do so very easily. They don't have to pay extra to restrict the game or any of it's content to their console, and as such it's fairly profitable for them.

You probably won't see MS produce a formerly console exclusive product for Sony or Nintendo because it would help to drive their product sales, and as such, even though they might be making a profit on the game itself, they would be losing overall because people would have less incentive to purchase their console and therefore less incentive to purchase the other games that are exclusive to this device.

For example, if I really want halo, but only have a ps3, I have no choice but to buy halo and an xbox if I want the game. At that point, I will likely then consider buying more games for my xbox, including some of the console exclusives, as well as the multiplatform releases. On the other hand, if halo were available for the ps3, then I would likely just stick to my ps3 and always buy ps3 versions.

Releasing the game half a year early on the 360 wouldn't likely benefit them too much either, as the decreased hype for the later release would likely lead to poor sales, and as such, the benefits of whatever profit they may make from the secondary console releases would still be outweighed by a strict console exclusivity.

With regards to Mass Effect becoming a ps3 title as well, that is a different case because Bioware was an independent company and is now owned by EA. They were likely paid by microsoft to ensure that the ME games were console exclusives for the xbox, and as such, they chose to have them remain xbox-only until such a time as they believed that they could make more of a profit in developing and selling the games on multiple platforms than they could from charging for the exclusivity and keeping the games xbox-only.

That being said, I think you could very well see an iconic xbox series like Gears of War jump to multiple consoles, as Epic Games is not an MS-owned developer, but Halo is very unlikely. If MS drops the console race, then sure it could very well happen (look at Sonic for an example), but right now you're about as likely to see Naughty Dog or the developers behind God of War developing Xbox games as you are to see 343 making a Halo for ps3.

4. kaos

Well said. U have a better chance seeing halo on the PS as cliffy b is adamant about it stay n on the xbox something about when he pitched the idea to Sony they laughed in his face. As far as halo stay n on the box yes it's highly unlikely bit I live in a world w/o absolutes this same thing has been said time n time again and with each new system I watch it fall over n over again. I know MS owns halo.... I also now bioware owns ME...my point is they too said never....be it not as strongly as Cliffy said it but it was said. I could go down the list of games on there respective lincencies and systems and tell u who jumped shipped including franchise games but like I said b4 this doesn't effect me one way or another I always get every system...what bothers me is **** tards who think it cool to disrespect a person who has the training and the know how to kill em with an eraser if need be..... I been on this earth along time I not debating how the market works... but I'm also not stupid... U said nothing in ur post that I haven't know for the better part of 20 years thanks for sharing but u could of saved urself time by simply asking if I knew how the market works n regard to said subject.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

School yard logic and maturity. Your rumor was never backed up by anything other than you proclaiming its a rumor and you obviously don't know how the video game business work. Halo would only ever appear on a competing console when MS gets out of the videogame hardware business and sells Halo off to the highest bidder. Could it happen, yes, but not on the PS3. I will admit when I'm wrong (as I was when MS let Bungie go, I said it would likley never happen), but you keep using the rumor defense for something that is pretty impossible.

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Cliff Bleszinski is with Epic, who make Gears of War. Gears is an exclusive property with Microsoft, but Epic is an independent studio.
    343 are now in charge of Halo, and both are owned by Microsoft.
    Bungie is once again independent, but no longer making Halo games.

Just wanted to clarify, as I think there is some confusion.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That makes sense. I was unaware that microsoft had the IP rights to GOW and that Epic just produced it. As that's the case I can definitely see MS not wanting GOW to be cross platform.

The point I had intended to make was that if an independent studio produces and owns (which I was under the understanding at the time that epic actually owned the GOW IP and that MS did not), then even a supposedly exclusive series (like the Mass Effect series) could be seen on other consoles. Regardless, however, in the case of Halo it wouldn't make a difference since MS owns both the IP and the studio producing that IP.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Except Mass Effect isn't made by a company that is owned by Microsoft.

Halo itself is owned by Microsoft. Mass Effect is not.

It's definitely not impossible, just extremely unlikely.

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wtf... you may need to step away a bit and calm down. Post is way out of line.

10. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrong. Epic Games own the Gears of War IP.

Epic Games 'Would Love' to Put Gears of War on PS3 - IndustryGamers

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
  12. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shit, I completely misread your post. Sorry, dude. :eek: 

13. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

The only way you'll see Halo on other consoles is if MS folds out of the console biz.

14. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. No company will just give it's best franchise to another company, no matter how dead it thinks it is. I mean Nintendo refused to bring Mother 3 to the states due to low sales expectations and at the same time refuses to let another company publish it in the states, as what happened when Atlus asked if they can bring it over.

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw this on reddit. It seems appropriate:

[​IMG]