"Dancing Soundwave Syndrome"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    We've seen it all. A lot times.

Something becomes the latest "hot" thing in Transformers fandom, turning out to be of interest to a surprisingly huge number of fans who instantly want to share their discovery with the rest of the fandom.

Unfortunately, none of those fans have bothered to check if it may have already been reported. Sometimes this is somewhat explained, since the front page news or the original thread has ended up on page 2 - and who ever bothers checking out page 2? ;) 

Of course, nobody ever uses the search function either.

Sometimes, this is sheer ignorance, when there are three threads about the same thing on the first page of a forum, and yet some people will still post another thread about it.

Sometimes, people see what they think is "news" on another site and will instantly report it to TFW2005, without bothering to check out the news on TFW's own main page first.

Sometimes it's just sheer thoughtlessness: If the Transformers Wiki lists information credited to a panel at a convention, the chances that this piece of information hasn't made the headlines at all the big Transformers fansites yet are minimal.

This thread is not about making fun of these people.

This thread is merely intended to be a collection of past incarnations of this phenomenon. Categories are "news" (which includes errors mistaken for, and reported as, news) and "cool stuff" (which includes, but is not limited to, videos).

Here's a few examples:

News:
    Toys'R'Us website depicting the box art of G1 Swerve and a photo of Universe 1.0 Swerve for a listing of Cybertron Swerve.
    Josh Nizzi's design for ROTF Long Haul, and a fan-made CG model based on it.
    Third ROTF Arcee bike is named "Flareup".

Cool stuff:
    Dancing Soundwave is the most famous one. This got posted a MILLION times.
    Simpsons couch gag with Transformers.
    Transformers on Robot Chicken.
    Transformers on "Will it blend".
    "The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime".

Any other examples?

2. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heck, I'm happy that the number of times people report the third "Arcee sister" is supposedly named Moonracer have fineally slowed down. I was removing it about 3 times a day from Wikipedia for the last month. Not only was it old news, it was wrong.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

God I see this all the time. How could you forget all those "Is Jazz coming back?" topics?
    Also the Lucky Star Decepticons got posted a lot, along with a lot of other "Chibiformers" videos.

4. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm still removing fan theories about Gindor and Blackout from Wikipedia all the time. Same guy, clone, cousins, etc. Eneryone seems to have a theory they want to put on Wikipedia. Also, last week I had to remove supposed cast list for Transformers 3.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's not forget 'Racist twins'. I mean, I'd love to but the Movie forum keeps reminding me of it. :( 

6. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

People aren't perfect, and Transformers is a hobby. Not everyone has the time to research everything before they post something.

Give it a rest. I get just as tired of those "OMG your such a :noob " responses.

Everybody just...chill....we're all friends here.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it seems to happen even more now that the news credit system was started here.

the best ones are when people are posting news from another site that credits TFW as the original source. those are always great.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Whenever I find cool stuff, I just assume that someone else found it first and has already posted it a bajillion times on every site ever. I have yet to be wrong in that assumption. I also wonder how many times it happens when something comes along and there are multiple people reporting it at the same time which would lead to multiple reportings/threads.

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, the related illness known as 'I can haz noozcredit?' Syndrome.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    The credits should be switched to the reputation system that would be so much more fun :D .

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    And I thought people crediting Seibertron for linking to the Transformers Wiki was weird.

By the way, the Flareup article on the Wiki currently has this under trivia:

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I think a big part of the problem when it comes to the searching is that people label their threads "Check this out.." or "OMG!!!" or something else that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread (Kinda like this one). It pretty much negates the possiblitly of a good search and no one is going to sift through all the results on the individual post search option.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

"I saw a random red semi truck on tv last nite, it just HAD to be Optimus Prime!"

*clicks create thread button*

If Nevermore had a search engine installed in himself, it would blow wiki away

14. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Another one: The recent threads that credited a random Malaysian site for cropped photos from the SDCC Hasbro panel that had a blatant "TFormers.com" watermark on them. I mean, not liking TFormers is one thing, but sure they didn't add their watermarks to the photos from the Malaysian site vie remote editing.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    LOL, so true.

Unfortunately.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Like someone else said...assume someone else found it first. It takes a while to develop a sense of how obscure your find is.

But in fairness: the search feature is often useless.

Of course we want to keep things friendly. Other boards can be much harsher to new people than ours. I think locked threads should be more common, and not always interpreted as something bad, but possibly helpful if Mods can point the poster in the right direction.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    that kinda stuff annoys me , as for my self if i earn anew credit iwant to have earned it properly

18. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

"The National Guardsman who renamed himself Optimus Prime. In 2001."

I saw this reposted last WEEK. On A.T.T., of all places.

The board search functions aside, what's wrong with using Google for five minutes and seeing if any hits come up on well-known Transformer/Internet sources? If there's only one hit and it's www.obscure-domain-name.com/subdir/sub-sub-dir/some-dudes-photos/sneaked-off-the-movie-set-an-hour-ago.jpg, then fine. But if there are ten thousand hits and the top 20 are on tfwikia.net, the top six major TF web boards, and freakin' DIGG, of all places, then yeah, someone's already got that scoop, thanks.