Danball Senki toy sizes

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Unclejoe420, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong place, but just wanted to ask folks on here how big the Danball Senki models are when they're finished / built? Wanted to check this before I go n order a bunch of them...

UJ

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're roughly the same height as a 1/144 Gundam model. Slightly more deformed proportions, with shorter limbs and bigger heads, but it varies. About 5" in height.

They're really neat little kits, but you might want to learn to paint them. There's a ton of colour detail on them that the stickers just can't cover.

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    These things look awesome!

Does anyone know how many different kits & toys they've made so far?

4. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    As for where to buy, the usual online import stores will do. HLJ, Hobby Search, Amiami.

It was said at ToyFair that Bandai's planning on bringing Little Battlers to North America, but as nothing was physically shown at the event, we don't know in what form. Although, I'd imagine that they'd be producing some original action figures for the franchise, rather than importing the model kits, seeing as how Gundam didn't take off spectacularly well in that form in North America.

Dunno how many there are right now. Somewhere around two dozen, I think, with some being modifications of previous kits.

5. netkid

News Credits:
    Gundam was around for quite a while (2000-2005 was a pretty good run by non-power ranger Bandai standards.) and probably would have stayed if they had brought over ZETA & ZZ Gundam like they had originally planned. Instead, we got boring SEED and the childish SD Gundam Force. They pretty much sank the American franchise. They brought it back with 00 on Sci-Fi from 2008-2009 and Bandai intended to release model kits and action figures to revive Gundam in the States, but they never went forward with it. IDK why.

6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The model kit lineup pretty much died after G Gundam. They didn't bother to import anything for SEED, from what I recall.

And it was G that started the series' decline, not SEED. After Wing, people were expecting more of that gritty war drama stuff, and instead got G's super robot hijinks. G's weird Gundam designs left the stores clogged with unwanted merch. By the time SEED rolled in, they were barely bothering to market it anymore, with only a fairly anemic selection of MSIA figures to show for it.

I don't know why they would import Zeta without the original MSG first. I don't ever recall that being in the plans. The plans to go back to UC were pretty much quashed due to them being so dated, so as to be unappealing to the target audience. G was the closest aesthetically to Wing. X was still saddled with its poor reception in Japan to be under the radar (which is too bad, because it really would have been the better successor to Wing than G was).

7. netkid

News Credits:
    I find that surprising. I know G Gundam had some wacky designs, but they seemed to keep up quite a large toy line. The product was always steady in my neck of the woods. Stuff sold quick, especially the model kits. The only G Gundam figures I can recall warming the pegs were Asura, Toros, Dark Army, and Mermaid. I remember the blue-carded figures they snuck into the line from other series (wing, 08th ms team, etc.) sold very well and were some of the hardest ones to come across.

I didn't witness signs of a decline until Seed and SD came along. By that time things had slowed to a stop and stores couldn't get rid of those products.

The only items I remember that sold well from Seed and SD were the Astray Gundam figures and anything SD that was Wing or UC related.

Stores did get Seed model kits, but they were all the skill level 1 kits. They never seemed to get any of the higher level kits even though you can still find them on eBay.

What I heard was that Zeta and ZZ Gundam were going to be the next series before G Gundam but they kept getting delayed. They went ahead with G Gundam and still tried to get Zeta and ZZ out there, but once deals for toys from Bandai and airings on Cartoon Network fell through it became dead in the water. They followed it with Seed and SD.

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The reason the Astrays sold well is because those didn't get released in Japan.

But I remember tons of reports of the Battle-Scarred G Gundams just clogging shelves and getting clearanced and still not moving. The Gundam boom was already well on the decline long before SEED hit.

They tried to make SD Gundam the restart, after letting SEED simply chug along quietly, but that never happened.

And now, they're just not bothering at all, reasoning that anybody who actually cares about the kits will buy them online direct from Japan, and with the anime going to more specialty cable networks as opposed to Cartoon Network, if at all.

9. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    If you have a hobby store near you that sells Gundam Model kits, I'd suggest checking there

10. Unclejoe420

Thanx for the info folks; having seen pix of these things, they did look somewhat like the Gundam SD kits, but for around £7 per set they're kinda hard to resist! Was gonna start with ordering a Deqoo and Ifreet, and go from there..

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are these more durable than the average 1/144 Gundam kit? Like are these more like buildable actionfigures as opposed to models? They look neat.

12. Unclejoe420

Well, I ordered the Achilles Deed and Deqoo OZ sets this past week, so fingers crossed that they may arrive in the next week or two! :) 

13. Gurren Lagann

Gurren Lagann Well-Known Member

I've seen these around at different places and they look cool.

Could anyone point me to a list of these guys or a fan site?

14. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

I got one a few months back. I think it was a shark themed one with articulated claws and stuff. They feel slightly sturdier than your average 1/144 or god forbid, Master Grade Gundam. They could probably survive a 3 or 4 feet drop, but more would be pushing it.

Basically, it's more playable than a Gundam kit but try not to drop it while standing up.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Interesting, thanks man!

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darn, and to think I was the only one interested in these kits. I purchased the regular Achilles, the Mecha that looks like a lion with a club-like weapon and a sniper wolf. The designs are really good IMO and if I knew how to paint them, I would have gotten more into this line.