Damn you, rubbery plastic!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Synical, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

I'm taking all my transformers out of storage, it's been about 6 months, and was keeping them in plastic bins, neatly packed, but every single one that has bendy, rubbery plastic on it is deformed and misshapen from the slightest bit of weight on it from another transformer. No matter how much I mess with it, I can't get it to go back to it's regular shape.

How am I supposed to store these things then, each in their own individual box? Thing is, in most cases, there is no reason what-so-ever for this type of plastic to be used. (Energon Megatron's inner translucent wings for instance). and for the stuff that it is needed for, like spikes or points, use hard plastic and then put a pointed rubber tip on the end or something. It's not that hard to figure out a better solution.

I hate it, I hate it...I HATE IT! (and while I'm bitching, stop painting over eyes with light-piping and translucent windows, use the damn paint apps elsewhere...STOP IT.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

So far this is the best solution IMO, having rubber on just the end would be pointless since they use rubber to keep it from breaking off. Also, if it pokes a kid, it won't hurt as much and sometimes(like Movie Prime's smokestacks) it'll bend and takes a little bit to reposition it

And if the light piping is good enough, it'll work through the paint(Animated Starscream) but if a figure has paint over the lightpipe and it doesn't work, then the light pipe probably doesn't work that well without paint in the first place(Deep Space Starscream)

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Try putting the rubbery part into some very hot water for about five minutes or until the part is hot.

It should reshape to its original shape when it cools.

4. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

i love light piping, it looks so cool when its done well (the OPPOSITE of movie ironhide, which is one of my fav characters. just wish the lightpiping coulda been better)

but i don't get what light piping has to to with rubber parts?

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My Armada Skywarp and U ramjet used to wear pegs on their soft plastic crest (?) in storage to keep them straight.

6. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Rubbery parts are a safety measure to protect kids that might poke their eyes out.

As for painted over light piping, I don't have too much of an issue with it. It actually looks a bit better when up close and there's no light to be piped.

7. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I hate it too. Rubbery, cheap plastic is the bane of our toy-loving existence.

This never happened in the 80's! ;) 

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Rubbery plastic is needed in many cases and often is a smart choice. If the mold requires small spikes or something similar, then rubbery palstic is the way to go, with hard plastic they will break the first time you touch them.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I hated the rubbery plastic used in Vector Prime. It made his wings not wotk properly!